Hyundai i30 - Servicing costs - Galad

Had my 2019 Hyundai i30 serviced today by main dealer- 2nd year 'major' service. Included a 'clutch/brake' fluid' change. For previous cars I've owned, I've always been asked if iI wanted a brake fluid change and, if I declined, the price quoted over the phone, was suddenly reduced from £39.99 to £19.99.

Today, I wasn't given the choice andbrake/clutch fluid change was also included in the invoice. I want to protect the Hyundai 5 year unlimited mileage warranty but is a clutch/brake fluid replacement really necessary with just 9k on the clock? I only checked the bill when I got home. Why would the brake/clutch fluids changes be itemised in this way?I've never had a clutch fluid replacement. Does a clutch need fluid?

The total bill was £236 for the 'standard' 2 year service.

Hyundai i30 - Servicing costs - daveyjp

Most clutches are now hydraulic and use the same reservoir as the brake fluid.

Whether it needs two year changes is down to your attitude towards preventative rather than reactive maintenance.

Hyundai i30 - Servicing costs - bathtub tom

Had my 2019 Hyundai i30 serviced today by main dealer- 2nd year 'major' service. Included a 'clutch/brake' fluid' change. For previous cars I've owned, I've always been asked if iI wanted a brake fluid change and, if I declined, the price quoted over the phone, was suddenly reduced from £39.99 to £19.99.

What does the service schedule say?

Hyundai i30 - Servicing costs - Engineer Andy

What does the service schedule say?

Indeed - it should say what frequency it has to be changed, because the fluid is hygroscopic, and thus will degrade even when sitting on the driveway. My (admittedly much old [2005]) Mazda3 says every two years / 25,000 miles service, whichever comes sooner.

I suspect it's quite similar for most cars, as it is a quite generic system. Mine gets lumped into the service cost up front.

Not that it'll likely affect the OP (given the age of the car means it'll likely have direct electric power steering), but for others like me who own cars with hydraulic power steering, some makes (Mazda included) do not replace the power steering fluid via the maintenance schedule - in theory it should be checked for colour (going from red [good] to brown [contaminated with burnt/degraded residue]), but I'm not sure if that is even included on the schedule.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 25/06/2021 at 15:18

Hyundai i30 - Servicing costs - Andrew-T

Most hydraulic fluids continue unimpaired for more years than two. Some people forget about changing them altogether, but the recommendations aren't there just for garages to turn an unnecessary penny. I suggest every 5 years might be a good idea.

Hyundai i30 - Servicing costs - sammy1

By the time you have paid for the services to protect your warranty you have in effect paid for the warranty yourself, perhaps a wee bit cheaper than extended warranties offered by others. Not good value especially for those doing low mileages.

There is far too much waste going on in most car servicing. BMW have a good regime in their condition based service based on the cars use and not time based. However what they charge is something else.

Hyundai i30 - Servicing costs - _

I have the first two services free on the Sportage, and will buy the following 3 year service pack, saving a bit of money in the process.

Many first year services are inspection only nowadays, and 2nd year services consequently look a lot dearer.

Personally. I'd pay the extra for the hydraulic fluid change, but each to their own choice.

Hyundai i30 - Servicing costs - barney100

Seems to me most dealers services are change oil and filter then a myriad of check this check that and you get a largish bill for what was basically an oil change. FIL used to run new Rovers and had this thing about changing the tyres/wheels round for even wear, he asked for this on a service and was duly charged. The embarrassed service manager was shown the chalk marks FIL had put on the wheels before he gave them the car and they were in the same place. It's not a great story but it makes you think every thing on your bill may not have been done, glad I've got a good indie.

Hyundai i30 - Servicing costs - John F

....t is a clutch/brake fluid replacement really necessary with just 9k on the clock?

Of course not. Classic example of garage sharp practice. They will frighten you with science about how brake fluid absorbs water which vaporises when hot - true, but minimal with modern closed systems. Unless you are descending an alp with a heavy caravan or a regular at track days, the brake fluid is unlikely to ever get anywhere near boiling point. I have no idea how old the fluid in my 40yr old TR7 is - possibly changed when my indy renewed the original leaky rear brake cylinders in 2010 (front calipers are original) but the brakes still work fine.

Hyundai i30 - Servicing costs - madf

....t is a clutch/brake fluid replacement really necessary with just 9k on the clock?

Of course not. Classic example of garage sharp practice. They will frighten you with science about how brake fluid absorbs water which vaporises when hot - true, but minimal with modern closed systems. Unless you are descending an alp with a heavy caravan or a regular at track days, the brake fluid is unlikely to ever get anywhere near boiling point. I have no idea how old the fluid in my 40yr old TR7 is - possibly changed when my indy renewed the original leaky rear brake cylinders in 2010 (front calipers are original) but the brakes still work fine.

John Your examples are fascinating to read.

But as you hardly drive your cars- and certainly most of them not on a daily basis - I tend to regard what you say as interesting anecdotes irrelevant to the real world.

Unless you do not garage them but park them outside in the rain and do drive them daily in everyday conditions - in which case I repent. :-)

Hyundai i30 - Servicing costs - brum

Many modern cars "recommend" a 2yr brake fluid change interval post warranty. Although they are nominally "sealed", they do breath to atmosphere through the reservoir cap due to thermal expansion and brake application, not much, but constantly. My experience of leaving fluid changes a long time are the first symptom is that callipers tend to stick on. Partly due to corroded surfaces stopping callipers sliding but also pistons refusing to retract correctly. When I change pads, I push the pistons back with the bleed nipple open and often find the piston is full of black fluid with visible quantities of corrosion and crud. I attribute this to either water/air ingress though the piston seals or through the flexi hoses. Tiny amounts, but again constant.

In todays modern cars, not only abs but lots of traction control, esp etc are dependent on very fancy and fine clearance electrohydraulics in the brake system. So, ignore fluid changes at the risk of some big bill repairs down the line as well as accelerated brake/disc wear.

Warranties will require cars are serviced correctly, if you have brake related issues, not having changed fluid as recommended may be a get out.

Hyundai i30 - Servicing costs - Ian_SW

If the schedule says that the brake fluid should be changed every two years, then it should be included in the price of the 2 year major service, not sold as an add-on.

Was the lower price quoted and then the brake fluid charge added on, or is it just an itemized line item along with the oil, filters and other consumables?

Hyundai i30 - Servicing costs - Galad

Was the lower price quoted and then the brake fluid charge added on, or is it just an itemized line item along with the oil, filters and other consumables?

The quoted price included the brake fluid change.

Of course not. Classic example of garage sharp practice.

John Your examples are fascinating to read.

But as you hardly drive your cars- and certainly most of them not on a daily basis - I tend to regard what you say as interesting anecdotes irrelevant to the real world.

My two cars are driven regularly, albeit not daily. I live in the real world, and am a typical example of pensioners who regularly drive, albeit not very far. My son, who also lives in his real but different world, now has our old Focus, which has had its brake fluid changed possibly twice in its twenty one year and 154,000 mile life. Its coolant is original - and still pink (I serviced it and changed its oil last weekend). I have advised him that the cambelt, with its design life of 150,000 miles, now needs changing ;-)...

Hyundai i30 - Servicing costs - concrete

My XC60 had its annual service at 4 years and 31K miles. I enquired about the brake fluid and they said they have a test for the fluid. If its alright its left for another year. Sensible procedure really. I am a steady driver and try to anticipate events to minimise braking and acceleration. This pays off in fuel consumption and vehicle wear and tear so obviously extends the life of fluids and other components. On the whole though dealers do attempt to maximise the service charge with little unwanted extras. Examine the account before paying and ask them to remove items you are not happy about.

Cheers Concrete

My XC60 had its annual service at 4 years and 31K miles. I enquired about the brake fluid and they said they have a test for the fluid. If its alright its left for another year. Sensible procedure really.

I partially agree, depending upon their threshold for not being 'alright'. 1% water? 2%? 3%?

I am a steady driver and try to anticipate events to minimise braking and acceleration.

In that case, the temperature of the brake fluid in your calipers is extremely unlikely to ever get anywhere near even the 100degC temperature of 100% water's boiling point!

Hyundai i30 - Servicing costs - madf

I am a steady driver and try to anticipate events to minimise braking and acceleration.

In that case, the temperature of the brake fluid in your calipers is extremely unlikely to ever get anywhere near even the 100degC temperature of 100% water's boiling point!

All you need to do is go down a long series of hills and have to brake most of the way. If you check the calipers they will be HOT.

Hyundai i30 - Servicing costs - blindspot

i think in terms of brake fluid deteriorating by 10% a year