BMW 5 Series Touring - Legal rights - Mark Gonsalves
Hi, I have a signed used order with a bmw dealership. Car was advertised on used/approved bmw website. 2 weeks after paying initial deposit I’m being told that there is an issue with the car and they no longer want to complete the sale, as it will cost them to much money to fix.
Can I insist that they honour the contract? What legal recourse do I have if they refuse?
Thanks M
BMW 5 Series Touring - Legal rights - FiestaOwner

Take the refund and be grateful they haven't tried to pam you off with a duff car. They will have realised they can't diagnose/ fit it. It will never be right.

If the garage is telling you the car is faulty, you definitely don't want it.

Think yourself very lucky and forget all about legal action.

BMW 5 Series Touring - Legal rights - daveyjp

They are doing the right thing, why would you want to enforce the contract on a possible lemon?

If you really want it keep an eye for the reg and at some point it may well end up in auction and then in Autotrader.

BMW 5 Series Touring - Legal rights - Andrew-T

Take the refund and be grateful they haven't tried to pam you off with a duff car. They will have realised they can't diagnose/ fit it. It will never be right.

Or they may have realised that someone else may pay more for the car ? That happened to me way way back.

BMW 5 Series Touring - Legal rights - Rerepo

About 12 years ago I was all set to buy an Approved Used BMW from a big BMW dealer chain. I'd paid a deposit. The following day the salesman called me and very apologetically told me that they'd 'mispriced' the car and given its specification it should be about £1000 more, so they were cancelling the sale. I argued with them for four days and eventually we agreed I would pay an extra £250 over the original price.

I was initially delighted with the car, but things went sour pretty quickly. About three weeks later I was in a traffic queue and the head gasket suddenly failed in a big way, forcing water and steam out of the system. The car was recovered and repaired but a few months after that the camshaft started knocking horribly. It was repaired under warranty but I'd had enough and traded it for a new Octavia VRS.

BMW 5 Series Touring - Legal rights - SLO76
Strange that you’d want to force them to sell you a duff car. The dealer is doing the right thing by you and refusing to retail a bad car. It’s a wee reminder though that used BMW’s aren’t the best option when it comes to reliability and even a relatively young approved used car like this can become economically unviable. If you buy another I’d pay the money to extend the BMW warranty to cover your full ownership term.
BMW 5 Series Touring - Legal rights - barney100

I'd thank them for their honesty and be happy I didn't have a lemon to fix.