Buying private - protection? - JamesBro

Hi.

I'm on the verge of buying a car from a private seller.

The car checks out - drives well, FSH, looks good, solid MOT history, reassuring HPI check, and getting it looked over by the garage.

However, parting with lots of money to a private seller doesn't feel that comfortable. So what is the best way to protect myself? Is there anything I can do, or is it just a risk I have to accept?

Can I ask for a receipt? Anything in writing? Would this help at all?

Thanks

Buying private - protection? - veloceman
That is the risk. Have to assume is much cheaper than a dealer to justify the risk or something special a dealer wouldn’t retail.
You will have to ask specific questions re faults, accident damage etc then you can expect a specific answer.
If it’s later found out the seller has lied then you may have come back.
They don’t have to offer info if the car is faulty - it’s up to you to probe.
Good luck.
Buying private - protection? - daveyjp

Always caveat emptor with a private sale. Check they aren't a trader disguising it as a private sale.

Search for the contact number and see of other vehicles come up.

Other than that does the sale feel right? Compare the price against Webuyany car value and also what a dealer is asking.

You can do a bill of sale, examples on line, which confirm what is being sold, vendor and purchaser and for how much.

Buying private - protection? - FiestaOwner

The only things I would add are:

1) Ensure the name and address you are viewing the car at match those on the log book (V5C). Check the VIN on the car against the log book.

2) If there is no log book, run away!! Don't be talked into applying for a new one.

3) Goto: vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ and check the "Date of last V5C (logbook) issued". Does it tie in with the date the seller said they got the car (and also does it tie in with the date printed on the log book)?

Edited by FiestaOwner on 04/06/2021 at 17:12

Buying private - protection? - _

There is no legal protection, so get everything in writing and signed and dated.

Buying private - protection? - Warning

1) Ensure the name and address you are viewing the car at match those on the log book (V5C). Check the VIN on the car against the log book.

That is good advice.

I would also pay via bank transfer (the name should be the same as on the log book).

If you are 'tactful' without causing offense, you could even ask to see a proof of id, such as drivers license.

You could buy add-on warranty, although some people will have reservations about the various exclusion clauses. (Some manufacturer do provide the warranty).....

Buying private - protection? - SLO76

Some good advice given. As already said, I’d check that the car is registered to the seller at the address you view the car at. The exception may come if it’s a deceased or ill relatives car they’re selling but there’s no way to be 100% sure they’re telling you the truth here so you’ll have to make a judgement call. I’d buy only if they’ve owned it several years rather than a few weeks or months also.

Pay via bank transfer to provide some trail should it turn out to be stolen, it’s unwise to turn up at a strangers door with thousands of pounds in your sky rocket anyway. It’s safer and traceable. Don’t pay if the V5 doesn’t match the address unless there’s a very plausible reason. Walk away if the V5 isn’t complete, especially the yellow trade section.

But at the end of the day a private sale does involve some risk and thus it must be cheap enough to offset this. I personally prefer buying this way as you bypass the dealer who’ll tell you any old lies to get a sale and you get to meet the owner face to face at their home address which will speak volumes about the way their wealth and attitude to maintenance. You can ask face to face questions and sum the owner up. That the car is cheaper and there’s more room to negotiate only seals the deal for me.

Edited by SLO76 on 04/06/2021 at 22:41

Buying private - protection? - John F

On the rare occasions I have bought myself a car (TR7 in 1981, Audi 100 in 1993, Audi A6 2003, Audi A8 in 2014), I have bought privately - with the exception of the A6. It's just a question of sussing out the vendor's character, who might have been offered a pittance in part exchange for a high miler (the first two Audis had around 80,000 on the clock) and is seeking a better deal. The paperwork should be in order as per previous posts. As for money transfer it's so easy now. For the A8, I sat at the vendor's desk in his home, accessed my bank account on his computer and transferred the money there and then while he watched me do it. (Obviously eyes averted during security inputs). For those with smart phones it's probably even easier.

Do get a written dated signed receipt worded 'Received from (x).....the sum of (y).....in full payment for (z)....'

Buying private - protection? - Metropolis.

John, nowadays logging into your bank on someone else's PC would be considered extremely risky! Better to do a bank transfer on your own mobile or laptop, and don't connect to their wifi either.

I tend to use an AA template car sale reciept, downloadable here www.theaa.com/car-buying/buyers-sellers-contracts

Buying private - protection? - John F

John, nowadays logging into your bank on someone else's PC would be considered extremely risky! Better to do a bank transfer on your own mobile or laptop, and don't connect to their wifi either.

Please explain what the extreme risk is, especially when nowadays there is an additional security hurdle of a text message to my phone to access the account. Even if the vendor was so clever as to extract the keystrokes of the first hurdle (d.o.b. plus secret number and the 4 digit pin, numbers of which are entered in varying order), his computer could not possibly divine the password from three random characters. And for a strange payee a final hurdle in the form of a card reader and bank card (another PIN needed) are required.

Buying private - protection? - Engineer Andy

Please explain what the extreme risk is, especially when nowadays there is an additional security hurdle of a text message to my phone to access the account. Even if the vendor was so clever as to extract the keystrokes of the first hurdle (d.o.b. plus secret number and the 4 digit pin, numbers of which are entered in varying order), his computer could not possibly divine the password from three random characters. And for a strange payee a final hurdle in the form of a card reader and bank card (another PIN needed) are required.

Because if you are accessing your account via a third party's computer, they can have either their own or be affected by (for example) a 'keylogger' virus or similar program (never mind the owner actually seeing/recording what characters you type for the password/codes) and thus will then have full access to your account.

It's the same method used by fraudsters who use card cloning devices (with a video camera on the side to get the PIN) on ATMs to get access to people's accounts without having to physically steal their bank or credit card.

To pay for a car, best to get all the paperwork done first (including them prove who they are and that the address they are selling from is genuinely their home), and then get the transfer done at the bank/building society.

Buying private - protection? - Andrew-T

<< It's the same method used by fraudsters who use card cloning devices (with a video camera on the side to get the PIN) on ATMs to get access to people's accounts without having to physically steal their bank or credit card. >>

With all the modern ways of moving money electronically it is easy to get paranoid about possible fraud, especially if one is after a Lexus or a JLR product. Much better to stick to buying cars at least 10 years old, with proper hard-copy cash :-)

Buying private - protection? - Metropolis.
Many thanks for answering this one Andy! Exactly the issue.
Buying private - protection? - JamesBro

Thanks all.

All good advice and I followed it all. And everything checked out and I've bought the car.

Such a better experience than buying from a dealer. Felt like I got to know the vendor and was reassured by his sincerity and reasons for selling, etc. Have a letter confirming the sale, signed by him and dated, for what it's worth.

Thanks for your help.

Buying private - protection? - Gibbo_Wirral

Private individuals are easier to spot at lying. I think traders must go to a special school for training. I used to like the "are you part exchanging your old car? My sister is going through a divorce and that would be great to cheer her up, I'll buy it from you myself"