Suzuki Vitara - Derogation - Glen007

Two days before collection date i got a call from dealers to say they couldnt register the new car with DVLA because of deregation and they do not know how long this process will take. Anyone ever come across this?

[amended the header in this first post of the thread so if in the future someone is doing a search with the same issue they will find the thread and benefit from the helpful replies. Must admit I had never heard of derogation...]

Edited by Xileno on 02/06/2021 at 20:18

Suzuki Vitara - Degregation - Rerepo

Is this something to do with EU legislation?

Suzuki Vitara - Degregation - Glen007

This was one thing the dealer mentioned but they also mentioned all sorts of things, some they redacted. It is something I have not come across before and the dealer has left it at that saying they have no further information for me.

This was one thing the dealer mentioned but they also mentioned all sorts of things, some they redacted. It is something I have not come across before and the dealer has left it at that saying they have no further information for me.

Possibly the EU are trying to interfere in the UK car market and pressuring/threatening car manufacturers not to register cars. Maybe write to your MP, SMMT etc.

Suzuki Vitara - Degregation - daveyjp

Search for DVLA and Derogation.

The car probably doesn't meet updated standards so they need derogation to allow it to be registered.

Suzuki Vitara - Degregation - joegrundy

Sounds as if the car is an old model not compliant with current requirements and the manufacturer/importer has to apply for 'end of series derogation' from Vehicle Certification Agency - i.e. special permission to register the vehicle.

I assume that the dealer didn't tell you this when you agreed to buy it? Maybe that's why they're being less than forthcoming with information now. I assume that an old model is worth less than a current one.

Suzuki Vitara - Degregation - focussed

This should be dealt with by the importer -Suzuki UK, it's not a process done at dealer level.

Give Suzuki UK a call and ask to speak to whoever deals with homologation and ask for an explanation and the way forward.

Suzuki Vitara - Degregation - Falkirk Bairn

Suzuki emissions average has financial penalties under EU regs

This is one reason for Suzuki buying Toyotas - Rav4 & Corolla and rebadging them as Across & Swace. If Suzuki sell a lot of the Toyota hybrids this will bring down the "average emissions" and mean less in the way of fines on the Suzuki range.

However Suzuki do not seem to sell many Across models - few dealers in Scotland seem to have more than a demo model - some chains have 1 demo and move it between branches. Mind you how many Suzuki buyers will want to spend £46K? - that is Lexus money!

The Swace has the 1.8 engine only - again much more expensive than the "normal" Suzuki.

Subaru do not have the same issues as they sell so few cars in Europe - they are regarded as "niche" car makers despite selling loads outside the EU e.g. US & Australia.

Suzuki Vitara - Degregation - Cris_on_the_gas

Is it because DVSA Swansea staff are on strike ?

Suzuki Vitara - Degregation - Bromptonaut

Is it because DVSA Swansea staff are on strike ?

Can't see why that would determine whether a derogation was needed but obviously it could affect how long it takes to obtain a derogation.

There's a link here that explains the process.

www.vehicle-certification-agency.gov.uk/legislatio.../

In the OP's shoes I'd want to get a clear statement from the dealer and/or Suzuki UK as to exactly what issues require derogation and to be sure the price reflected any deviation from normal standards for the make/model/year.

I'd also want to know how long it was standing around on a dockside or disused airfield before being marketed.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 04/06/2021 at 13:22

Suzuki Vitara - Degregation - Ethan Edwards

Is the Vitara in question perhaps a personal (or Grey) import from say for example Cyprus? Because the purchase and registration of an official Suzuki uk import does not require any of this faff. I should know how easy it is because I actually own one. There's something very weird about the OP's situation that's not been disclosed imo.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 04/06/2021 at 15:02

Suzuki Vitara - Degregation - daveyjp

Or has it been sat around for a few years? IIRC a car has to be registered within 3 years of manufacture to maintain type approval.

Suzuki Vitara - Degregation - Ethan Edwards

Since 2015 only the 1.6 petrol, 1.6 diesel (no longer produced) i think the 1.0 turbo ( dropped last year IRC) and the 1.4t have been available. The 1.4 in 140bhp guise and now 115 with an ISG . I believe the 1.6 petrol was being sold until quite recently. But this is speculative. We need the OP to supply more info.

Suzuki emissions average has financial penalties under EU regs

This is one reason for Suzuki buying Toyotas - Rav4 & Corolla and rebadging them as Across & Swace. If Suzuki sell a lot of the Toyota hybrids this will bring down the "average emissions" and mean less in the way of fines on the Suzuki range.

Why would there be any fines on Suzuki in the UK? We are not in the EU!

Suzuki Vitara - Degregation - mcb100
You’d never guess, and I’m sorry to break it to you, but the post-Brexit legislation is exactly the same as it was while we were in the EU.
Suzuki Vitara - Derogation - mcb100
I’m going with it being a used car being imported, and consequently registered, to the UK.