Nissan x trail - Nissan x trail 2015, horrible squeak. - marv80

My nissan x trail, 2015 model, has done 100k miles and more recently, its developed a squeak, which is more audible, when driving at a speed under 15 miles. The sound happens after driving for say a distance of 5 miles and it's like a loud squeak, almost as though, when the wheel is going round, its catching onto something. My local Nissan initially advised changing the brakes, but the sound has remained and they just told me, they don't know where its coming from, even though I have taken them on a test drive and they heard the sound. I have attached youtube link, in the hope that someone on here might have an idea of what this is. Nissan have advised they have checked the car and all is good, but they can't figure out where its coming from,which is disappointing.

youtu.be/hIpabuzcwRk

[link checked and seems fine, moderator]

Edited by Xileno on 09/05/2021 at 15:32

Nissan x trail - Nissan x trail 2015, horrible squeak. - Oli rag
It does sound a bit brake related. Does the sound alter if you press the brake gently or pull the handbrake on as you drive?

Hi thanks for your reply. The sound happens without compressing the brakes, and once it starts, it only stops, when the car stops. Strangely sometimes it doesn't happen, if I just drive short distances, it doesn't come on but if I drive say 10 miles, it definitely comes on really loud. I'm totally lost.

Nissan x trail - Nissan x trail 2015, horrible squeak. - Andrew-T

Front or back ? I don't suppose the X-trail has rear drums, but if it does, might there be something wrong there ?

Nissan x trail - Nissan x trail 2015, horrible squeak. - galileo

If it only starts after driving a distance, this suggests some rotating part warms up and causes the squeak because it has expanded through heating.

Obvious suspects are discs/hubs/drive shafts.

Yes it always starts after a couple of miles.

Nissan x trail - Nissan x trail 2015, horrible squeak. - edlithgow

Maybe a very little air bubble in your caliper (or behind the dust boot) expanding and pushing your brake pads out.

If it was a lot of air it would make your brake pedal spongy.

Nissan x trail - Nissan x trail 2015, horrible squeak. - Xileno

Years ago my Mum had exactly the same annoying squeak on her Volvo 700, it turned out to be one of the ABS sensors had moved slightly from its correct position and was making contact with the rotating ring. I don't know anything about the Nissan arrangement but it might be worth checking.

Nissan x trail - Nissan x trail 2015, horrible squeak. - Kenny48

I had a similar problem with my 2018 X Trail. Worked out it was the jack, in the near side holder, that was rubbing against the side, making the noise. Wrapped a cloth round it and it stopped.