Van - New van DPF dialema - anyname

Hello, I will need to buy a new van soon for work, I live on the outskirts of London and drive locally most of the time, mostly driving for 20 minute stints. What I cannot seem to get my head around is that most tradesman where I live, motor factor delivery drivers, and others, mostly drive newer diesel vans; I see alot of them on the road. Ive asked a few people if they have had issues with their DPF's when most of the round town driving is below 40mph with alot of stop/start driving due to traffic; most of them say no their vans are fine but need to blast em now and again, So what exactly is the deal with DPF's with small vans now. I'm looking at the PSA group offerings from Peueot/Vauxhall/Citroen/Toyota, but keep asking myself if its a better idea to buy a petrol; rather than the diesel; thing is the petrol is about 3K more expensive. Does anyone have a new PSA small van and use it the majority of time around town, if so have you had DPF issues ? My dialema is not helped by the fact that Toyota has recently released its small Proace "City" van (which is diesel) and its obviously marketed for City driving. Do the DPF's in these vans do an auto regen when it needs to even when not driving over 50mph ?? Theres alot of conflicting advice out there !!

Edited by anyname on 06/05/2021 at 22:14

Van - New van DPF dialema - SLO76
Petrol vans aren’t really an option, yes they exist but most deals on new or nearly new stock will be diesel. Buy it and take it an occasional run at a steady 40mph or more to let it regen and you’ll be fine.
Van - New van DPF dialema - daveyjp

Third option. Nissan Electric e-NV200.

Van - New van DPF dialema - badbusdriver

Because there are so few petrol vans around, I'm not sure how, unless you are looking to buy new, you can make the sweeping statement that a new petrol van will cost £3k more than a petrol one. I don't know your exact requirements or budget, but a look on Autotrader revealed these:

You mention the Toyota Proace City, cheapest of which is £13091 for a pre reg example. But there are no petrol vans of that particular size to compare it with. I can see that I could get a brand new Fiat Fiorino 1.4 petrol for £11291, clearly a smaller van, but a smaller price to go with it.

I can get a 2019 VW Caddy 1.2TSI for £11999. Cheapest 2019 Caddy diesel with similar miles is £14250.

I can also get a 2018 Vauxhall Combo LWB petrol (1000kg payload) is £8995. Cheapest diesel version (same payload but standard wheelbase) is £9750.

Van - New van DPF dialema - Falkirk Bairn

Many years ago a then friend had about 10/12 vans for his business. They were ill-treated by the drivers - rarely cleaned inside or washed & regularly bashed.

Handed 2 of his best employees almost new estate cars instead - as long as they were big enough for a washing machine. Benefit was the estates were looked after as the wife & kids were in them Sat/Sundays

Long story BUT does the OP really need a van? Petrol estate cars come in various sizes

Van - New van DPF dialema - Andrew-T

Long story BUT does the OP really need a van? Petrol estate cars come in various sizes

Perhaps the advantage of a van over an estate is that the contents are much less visible ?

Van - New van DPF dialema - RT

Perhaps the advantage of a van over an estate is that the contents are much less visible ?

Fitting 0% privacy panels isn't expensive.

Van - New van DPF dialema - jc2

It could be an advantage on an estate over a van if you keep nothing in there!

Van - New van DPF dialema - SLO76
Forget list prices though BBD, the vast bulk of new van sales of this size are pre registered or nearly new after returning from short term lease and they’re all diesel. Whenever I’ve been looking for a van for people petrol is simply not an option unless you’re willing to order it new and pay substantially more.

It used to be different in the 80’s and 90’s with there being plenty of either to choose from.

Edited by SLO76 on 07/05/2021 at 09:12

Van - New van DPF dialema - Steveieb

When looking for a van for my sons business we found an 11 plate campaign edition Transit and chose this option as it is Euro 4.

With manufacturers such as Ford reluctant to replace DPF s under warranty some buyers are choosing older vans with less strict Euro classification and spending some money refurbishing them .

Vauxhall seem to be cashing in on the market at the moment as they have no supply problems. But VW LT s are fetching £3k above list because of the demand for conversions to camper vans.

Time to fit a steering lock overnight !

Van - New van DPF dialema - mcb100

The van market is currently through the roof for both new and used. Dealers are struggling to source new, and that's having a knock-on the the used market where prices are currently high.

I've no crystal ball to attempt to predict what's going to happen, but expect to have to wait for a new van.

Van - New van DPF dialema - Terry W

I now understand white van man driving style - they are simply regenerating the DPF.