Ford Transit Custom - Bought via auction without V5 unable to Tax & MOT - Mazman040

Bought via auction without V5 as a CAT S write off.

I have insured the van however have just realised that I cannot Tax and MOT it as I do not have the V5 or the previous sellers details.

So my questions are -

1 - do I need to wait 6 weeks (or longer during covid) for the V62 postal application to DVLA for a log book to run it course or is there a more efficient way for this to happen.

2 - the van will be repaired by next week - once we have the van MOT ready do we have to do anything more than MOT it and Tax it to get it back on the road

thanks in advance

Ford Transit Custom - Bought via auction without V5 unable to Tax & MOT - Warning

I had a similar question, except the car I was looking at was from a major car dealer.It did n't have a V5C, but would need to apply for a V62.

They told me that I would have to go on the computer and do apply online and then go to the post office to get it taxed. They mentioned, would get the V5 in 4 weeks..... and there is a £25 charge. I don't know if this is the same situation for you, as I would know the seller is the car dealer....

Ford Transit Custom - Bought via auction without V5 unable to Tax & MOT - Mazman040

Thank you for your input.

I do not actually understand the reason for the V62 process having to be done by post and taking 6weeks. Frustrating for sure as my van will be out of operation for a good month

Ford Transit Custom - Bought via auction without V5 unable to Tax & MOT - Will deBeast

As I understand it, the V62 procedure involves a letter being sent to the previous keeper to ensure that there are no disputes about the change of registration.

Ford Transit Custom - Bought via auction without V5 unable to Tax & MOT - Andrew-T

As I understand it, the V62 procedure involves a letter being sent to the previous keeper ...

... who may well ignore it - assuming it has gone to the right place. Maybe DVLA has to wait a month before proceeding ?

What are my right if the previous keeper ignores correspondence from DVLA?

Edited by Mazman040 on 06/05/2021 at 17:51

Ford Transit Custom - Bought via auction without V5 unable to Tax & MOT - Lee Power

Wouldn't the previous keeper on DVLA database be the insurance company that paid out after the vehicle was declared a write off?

Ford Transit Custom - Bought via auction without V5 unable to Tax & MOT - Andrew-T

Wouldn't the previous keeper on DVLA database be the insurance company that paid out after the vehicle was declared a write off?

Interesting question. I suspect not, in the same way that dealers may not register ownership of cars which spend weeks or months on their forecourt ?

Ford Transit Custom - Bought via auction without V5 unable to Tax & MOT - Wee Willie Winkie

"I had a similar question, except the car I was looking at was from a major car dealer.It did n't have a V5C, but would need to apply for a V62.

They told me that I would have to go on the computer and do apply online and then go to the post office to get it taxed. They mentioned, would get the V5 in 4 weeks..... and there is a £25 charge."

If the dealer can't be faffed sorting things like these out themselves, what hope do you have if something goes wrong. I wouldn't have touched that car with a bargepole.

Thank you all, sounds like a painful lesson learned.

Ford Transit Custom - Bought via auction without V5 unable to Tax & MOT - Big John

"A Cat S car is one which has sustained structural damage during a crash – think items such as chassis and suspension. While the car can safely be repaired and put back on the road, Cat S cars must be re-registered with the DVLA."

Edited by Big John on 06/05/2021 at 22:57

Ford Transit Custom - Bought via auction without V5 unable to Tax & MOT - Galaxy

The DVLA will write to the previous owner of the vehicle. If he ignores the correspondence for longer than, I believe it's 14 days but it could possibly be 28, then they wll issue a new V5C to the V62 applicant as requested.

Thank you

What does reregistration involve? Anyone been through this process?

For anyone interested here is how this played out.

Van arrived from Action down in England via transporter (bought based on online listing only)

Needed replacement rear doors and it turned out due to minor rear passenger side dent it required to be put on a jig to pull out the dent.

Work was done within 1 week then I discovered via a call to DVLA that as long as I have insurance and Mot they would tax it for six months while my V62 process goes through.

So I was on the road about 1.5 weeks after purchase.

All is well and my proper V5 arrived today.

Runs like dream. Only issue is it is factory speed limited but hey keeps me legal :)

Edited by Mazman040 on 07/06/2021 at 17:09