Tyre review - ian s
Can anyone tell me where i can get a good review of tyres. i am looking to fit a new set of tyres, but with so many on offer, i find it difficult to find a site or publication where i can get independent advice
Tyre review - Aprilia
German ADAC (AA equivalent) often do tyre tests:

www.fahrschule.de/Auto/20000225.html

Its in German, but you can use Bablefish or similar to translate it.
Basically Goodyear NCT5, Continental, Pirelli P6000 all come out well. It think NCT5 is probably cheapest of that lot.
Tyre review - madf
www.mytyres.net/Tyres.html

is in ENGLISH:-)
madf
Tyre review - Aprilia
Hm. Not sure about that site. There is a link to 'Reifentest' (i.e. Tyretest) but that is a site where anyone browsing the web can 'vote' for a tyre - I'm not sure it is that reliable.
There are other test results are there too, but the ones I looked at were in German. Maybe I navigated wrong.
Tyre review - ian s
thanks for the reply. i have looked at the site and converted it to english and the information appears to be clear and easy to follow.
Tyre review - prelude
What are you actually looking for from a review? If you are not needing race track performance from your tyres I would suggest you go for low tyre noise and hi mileage.

I always use a tyre with a treadwear number over 300 (Avons) Maragoni ( i think the spelling may not be right) I get 30-35k per set on a prelude.

Tyre review - ian s
i am a taxi driver and cover 50,000mls/year. first and foremost is safety. i am looking for a good tyre in the wet, ice and snow as i can find myself out in all weather conditions and in some very treacherous conditions.
Tyre review - RogerL
The treadwear number is only consistent within one manufacturers range of tyres. There is no COMMON base for assessing the 100 between different tyre ranges. For instance Treadwear 240 could mean three different ratings for Goodyear NCT5, Goodyear GT3 and Michelin XH1
Tyre review - mmm-five
The treadwear number is only consistent within one manufacturers range of
tyres. There is no COMMON base for assessing the 100 between
different tyre ranges. For instance Treadwear 240 could mean three different
ratings for Goodyear NCT5, Goodyear GT3 and Michelin XH1

Not quite:

The tread wear indicator is supposed to be consistent across all manufacturers as stated below.

Uniform Tyre Quality Grading
Tyres have many markings on them to indicate different features. Different markings are required for the European market, for N. America, and for other markets. Some tyres are labelled for all sales areas, some are only labelled for an individual market. The Uniform Tyre Quality Grading System (UTQGS) is an American tyre information system, sometimes found on tyres sold in the UK.

TREADWEAR, TRACTION, TEMPERATURE
Each tyre manufacturer performs its own tests in these areas, following U.S. Government prescribed test procedures. Each manufacturer then assigns grades that are branded on the tyre.

TREADWEAR
Treadwear grades typically range from 60 to over 500, in twenty point increments. It is important to remember that the actual life of any tyre is determined by the road surface quality, driving habits, inflation, wheel alignment and the rotation it experiences.
To receive a treadwear grade, a tyre is tested under controlled conditions on a government prescribed test course which does not necessarily simulate the actual application for which a given tyre is designed to perform. As a result of these test parameters, there is no accurate way to assign miles of wear to treadwear grade points.

Treadwear ratings are determined on a 400 mile government test course covering specified sections of public roads near San Angelo, Texas. A group of not more than four test vehicles travels the course in a convoy so that all tyres experience the same conditions. Tread groove depths of the tyres being tested are measured after each 800 miles. The same procedure is followed for a set of control or course monitoring tyres.

Upon completion of the 7,200 mile test, the rating results of both tests are compared, and the tyres being tested are assigned a treadwear rating by the tyre manufacturer. A tyre with a treadwear grade of 400 might be expected to last twice as long as a tyre that has a grade of 200 if given the same usage and driving style.

TRACTION
Traction grades indicate the measurement of a tyre's ability to stop a car in straight-ahead motion on a wet test surface pavement. It does not measure straight-ahead acceleration. It's important to remember that traction rating tests are performed only for straight ahead sliding on concrete and asphalt surfaces that have a specified degree of wetting which simulates most road surfaces in a rainstorm. The ratings that result from these tests may not apply to cornering traction or peak values of straight-ahead braking force like those experienced in non-skid braking tests. Traction grades range from A to C, with A being the highest attainable grade.
Traction ratings are established on government maintained skid pads. Twenty measurements are taken with an industry standard control tyre on an asphalt surface and averaged. The same number of measurements are made on a concrete surface. Corresponding measurements are then made on the tyres being tested. Once the results of the tests are compared, traction ratings based on government prescribed coefficient levels are assigned to the tyres that were tested.

TEMPERATURE
Temperature grades also range from A to C, with A being the highest. Temperature grades represent a properly maintained tyre's ability to dissipate heat under test conditions. Ratings are determined by running tyres on an indoor road wheel test under specified conditions. Successive 30-minute runs are made in 5 mph increments starting at 75 mph and continuing until the tyre fails. A tyre is graded C if it meets the minimum performance required by DOT. Grades of B and A represent higher levels of performance than the minimum required by DOT (US Department of Transport).
Tyre review - Sooty Tailpipes
It also seems to depend on the car as to what tyres are best, tyre reviews always seem to contradict those of others.

Don't get a speed rating higher than neccessary (see handbook), as the ride around town will suffer.
Tyre review - RogerL
Check out UTQG (Uniform Tire Quality Grading) on www.coopertire.com/tire_avon/info-sidewall

There is no correlation between the treadwear ratings of different manufacturers. This is an American "system" which does not have the controls that European standards have.
Tyre review - mmm-five
While it is an America 'system', the system is there to ensure there is a standard method of rating the tyres and to ensure a correlation between manufacturers.

Hence a 200AA from Michelin should have the same wear and temperature properties as a 200AA from Goodyear.

The info I posted previously was from the UTQG - whether it is true or just a marketing tool I cannot say.
Tyre review - RogerL
UTQG is required by the US Federal Dept of Transportation. It has no standing in Europe, indeed tyres which are not imported into the US may not be assessed or marked under UTQG. I think this makes it an "American" system.

If you wish to assume that a 200AA from Michelin will have the same wear properties as a Goodyear 200AA, thats your assumption. There is no common evaluation for the 100 base between manufacturers.
Tyre review - AR-CoolC
Auto Express did a review a couple of weeks ago, it was very thourough.
Go onto their web site and you can retreive old reviews.

This weeks is small hoovers on test.
Tyre review - Cyd
A couple of years ago the Goodyear Eagle Ventura was streets ahead of other tyres for wet handling, wet grip and wet braking in an Auto Express test. They ultimately came in second because another tyre which was nowhere near as good in the wet had a very low rolling resistance. On this basis my brother fitted Venturas to his Honda Accord and has reported they are very good, they are wearing a little quicker than others but the extra confidence in the wet is worth it.

I've been impressed by NCT3s on previous cars, but am currently using a Focus TDCi for business use with NCT5s fitted. I am unimpressed, especially in the wet.

You don't say what size you are looking for, which will affect your choice. I have Goodyear Eagle F1s on my 820 Vitesse Sport and can report that they are superb in the wet, ABS threshold on wet tricky tarmac is very impressive. I intend to try Dunlop SP9000s next , because they come out very close to the F1s in tests.

have a look at the report section on www.tyres-online.co.uk
Tyre review - Sooty Tailpipes
Oh, I have F1s on my Omega and was going to try NCT5s next, maybe not!

The F1s are a bit uncomfortable and I don\'t have a fat chairman\'s bum, but they do grip like they defy physics.
Tyre review - Aprilia
I have three cars; an MB with Goodyear Eagle Ventura's; Nissan with Continental Premium Contact and another Nissan with Goodyear NCT5's. They all get driven on twisting roads and are all very good tyres; I wouldn't want to choose between them as regards grip. It would come down to other things like durability and noise. I think that the Eagle's on the MB are the quietest (although the QX is actually the quietest car) - it is hard to discriminate between car and tyre (if you understand my meaning).
Tyre review - ian s
i am a taxi driver and have a skoda octavia sdi, with 175/80R 14 88T. i drive in all weather conditions, with a quality tyre such as vredistien, or uniroyal rainmaster. when i bought the car new, it had cheap continentals fitted, the car slid on a regular basis, hence the need for a tyre review, to select decent tyres.
Tyre review - Cyd
My car too had Uniroyals on it (they were on when I bought it). In comparison to the F1s they were utter rubbish in the wet. The only things they did 'better' than the F1s was they were firmer and gave slightly more precise steering when pushing on (my size is 215/45 ZR17).
Tyre review - Aprilia
Ian

Continental is not a 'cheap' tyre - its premium brand. In fact in the last Which? tyre test the Conti Premium Contact came out top. Vredestein is a 'second tier' brand - owned by Firestone I think.
Tyre review - M.M
You make a very good point Aprilia, it is often hard to separate the car's ability from the tyre.

I also think that owners are often poor judges of their own tyres. To compare a worn out set of one make with the new alternatives you've just fitted is not a good comparison.

Between fitting the first set and the latest may well involve another 20K-30K on the car's mileage. In that time there may have been changes/wear to the tracking, dampers, suspension joints...these all affect the feel of a car.

The only way to do a fair test is to have the tyres for comparison on alternative sets of wheels, and with perhaps 500 miles driven to run them in. Then drive each set on the same track/route and you may get a good idea.

Interestingly I would agree that the Goodyear Ventura sems to be a very quiet and supple tyre. The set on my car (after Michelins) has taken out much of the bump thump on sharp undulations. Also they are so good in the wet they delay the onset of ABS by a noticeable amount. I have commented before this is slightly at the expense of ultimate dry grip.

M.M
Tyre review - Vagelis
I find the Bridgestone Potenza's (re720) I put on my clio a year ago remarkable. Excellent dry grip (even on the 'mirror-like' greek roads), very good wet grip, high resistance to aquaplanning. They are a bit hard on bumps, but more than make for it in road-feel. Also, excellent braking, with the ABS almost not engaging at all.

The ContiPremiumContacts also appear to be notable, and I've heard very good words for the Ventura.

But I guess I'll go for the Bridgestones again, when the time comes.

Vagelis.
Tyre review - edisdead {P}
I am about to fork out for new boots for the Civic (175/70R13T). Given my journeys comprise 99% motorway commuting, I'm thinking of Continental EcoContacts for their claimed economy, comfort and longevity. My only concern is that I don't want to compromise stopping ability, particularly given all the wet weather we are experiencing. Can anyone offer any advice on this choice of tyre, or suggest any alternatives I should consider?
TIA.
Ed.
Tyre review - Shaz {p}
I also have the Beiddgestone re720's on my zx volcane (185/60/hr14) can confirm a very good tyre. Best sport handling in dry out of the brands that I looked at. Only downside is a lower tread life then the others (this is more then compenated for the grip and feel IMHO). When I was looking to buy earlier this year, reading different reviews etc - confirm that goodyear f1's came out as top tyre in the wet, good in the dry, with good wear rates. The Michilin sports came out very well for tread life and grip in dry, and were rated as good in the wet. Continentals were rates as good also, but not as good in the wet. The avons were rated as poor in the wet, but god in the dry.
Tyre review - quizman
I have replaced the original Dunlop SP200E's on my Passat with Pirelli P7,s.
The grip, especially in the wet, is miles better. So I would try these.