Rover 214 stereo help needed - canary
The LCD on the centre of the dash of my Rover 214 1998 has failed to work for some time.

Since then, I've had a battery failure meaning a new battery was to be fitted, but of course all the electrics were disconnected for a while.

Although I have the radio code, apparently there is a start-up sequence to follow that requires the LCD.

Anyone know how to re-install the stereo without the display ?
Rover 214 stereo help needed - Mike200
You cant.

If you mean the radio display.

I have one of these cars and stereos and, when I picked it up after buying it, I found it hard enough getting the radio to work with the display!!

You have to put the code in and this shows up on the display. Do you know how to put the code in? You may be able to do it if you count the amount of times you push the buttons etc.

Im sure you can pick these panels up elsewhere. A mate of mine hade a Phillips stereo, whereas the one in my car is Rover branded. Completely different models, but the LCD panel fitted and worked in both!!!
Rover 214 stereo help needed - Dynamic Dave
Check this previous thread on reprogramming a Rover stereo.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=10454&...e

As you say, you haven't got a working display, but hopefully if you follow the suggestion and work *blind* then you might have some luck.

What stereo is fitted in the Rover, btw?
You may also want to read this thread as well. It refers to a failed Rover radio display. Simple bulb change is all that is required.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=7725&v...f
Rover 214 stereo help needed - Gammeldansk
I have a rover 214 and I believe the radio is a R860. About a year ago the radio wouldn't work when the car got too hot from the sun, it would just make a beep and turn off. Then gradually the display deteriorated. Now nothing appears on the display, and nothing comes out of the speakers, even though the radio actually turns on (lights up). I have a cd changer in the car and a load of new cds which I wish to play, but can't. I'm desperate to get this sorted but don?t want to take it to a garage and get ripped off. Not sure if this is a bulb issue as the display gradually got worse, also wouldn't I still get something coming out of the speakers. I thought I'd try taking out the display and radio and check wires or something, but I can't seem to get the thing to come apart. Would appreciate any help! cheers
The fitted stereo is a Rover R770.

Trying the 'blind' sequence has not proved successful. Could the stereo be permanantly disabled after numerous attempts to start up?

After pressing the ON button, some orange lights illuminate, but only for 2 seconds - followed by a beep which then appears to shut down the stereo. Is this the norm?

I have found the 14V light behind the LCD requires to be replaced. I guess I need to replace this before starting all over again.
Yes, this stereo has a security time delay on it. I think every time you put in a wrong code, 15 mins is added to the time you have to wait before trying again.

However, I dont think the stereo should shut down, otherwise, how can you wait for the time to elapse. Not sure about this sorry.
Might sound a silly question, but does the stereo actually need to be installed and connected in the vehicle to have the time delay elapsing?

If the stereo sits in my living room after numerous failed attempts, have any of the 15 mins added on actually elapsed?
Not sure. Maybe it would reset after a while, like some vcr's do.
Might sound a silly question, but does the stereo actually
need to be installed and connected in the vehicle to have the
time delay elapsing?
If the stereo sits in my living room after numerous failed
attempts, have any of the 15 mins added on actually elapsed?

No. It will need to be powered up continually for the minutes to drop. Everytime you disconnect the power, the minutes reset back to whatever they were when you first started. ie, If you need to wait 1 hour and you disconnect the power at 58 mins into that hour, you'll have to wait another hour again once you've powered up the set again.
Thanks DD for the advice. I've re-installed the Rover stereo to see if I have any success by leaving it powered up overnight.

I'll try the sequence all over again.

As I'm working 'blind', are the tuner up/down keys referred to earlier, the arrows < & > or |< & >|

This all began when a CD player was installed but was unable to retain any presets and can not respond by using the paddles on the steering wheel. To re-install the Rover stereo seemed to be the easiest option, especially as the CD player is used very occasionally.
When it was installed, was the cd wired correctly to the perm. live (Black I think??)

Was the correct adaptor used to connect the steering wheel controls?
From the Rover R860, R770 & R660 I.C.E. Booklet:

"Press one of the manual tuning buttons(< & >) to select the first digit of the security code. Press pre-set 1 to store the digit in the unit's memory.

Use either tuning button to select the second digit (I.E. if digit 1 was 6, and digit 2 was 7, press > once)

Repeat for digits 3 and 4

Once the final digit is stored, if the code is correct, a two tone bleep will sound and the radio will operate

NOTE: If an incorrect code is entered, a single warning tone will sound and the first delay period commences (2 mins, then 4, then 8 etc)
DO NOT switch off, at the end of the delay period, CODE will show."

Only problem you have, is that you can't see any of this, but hope it helps.
Despite the stereo being powered up now for some 30 hours, still when the unit is turned on, all that happens is that the lights come on for 2-3 seconds, then a low beep is sounded with the unit seeming to have turned off after this time.

Should this be happening when I should be entering the code sequence? Surely the lights and unit should be activated 'on' until the correct code is entered?
Despite the stereo being powered up now for some 30 hours,
still when the unit is turned on....

I might be reading this wrong, but the unit is also supposed to be turned on, not just powered up to the 12v dc supply during the duration of however long it takes for the code countdown to complete before you're able to re-enter the code again.
Rover 214 stereo help needed - Hugo {P}
This is a long shot, but sometimes LCDs that appear not to be working can be read when you look at it from a sharp angle, rather than straight on.

Just check this out, it may make your job easier.

H
Think the unit could be well and truly disabled as when the power(ON) button is pressed, the lights activate for 3 seconds followed by going off with the stereo beeping (as if it's turned itself off).

Also, replacing the bulb (for 60p only from a model shop ..... apparently it's the same as those used for headlights on Scalextric cars!!!) has only seen it blow almost immediately after a flickering off the orange LCD. Is it worth buying a handful of bulbs and repeating the excercise?
stereo dash display - canary
The central dash display for my Rover 214 has gradually stopped working and no longer means anything relevant to the clock time or tuner stations. Upon dismantling it's clear the circuit strip has become unattatched to the LCD panel.

Are these units common across other vehicles or is this a specific Rover dealership request (breakers may not prove too successful I feel if the unit can't be tested).

Any idea of costs for this unit?
stereo dash display - Hugo {P}
Suggest you try universal parts

I put the number on another thread a while ago, they are in lancashire if you want to try 118xxx.

Anyone understand what the PFD is going on with this pesky 192 replacement BTW?

H
stereo dash display - Mike200
Could you not try soldering a link, or have I got the wrong end of the stick??
stereo dash display - canary
OK, so I'm half way to resolving the problem. I have a fully working digital dash display .... but now need to sort the stereo itself.

Turning the start button on should apparently lead to 2 beeps, I only get 1 after 3 seconds.

Instead of being ready to recieve the stereo code showing a -C- on the display, I find the unit turns off automatically. All light turn off.

The time display remains on the clock all this time.

Anyone know how the stereo would act if it was completely disabled? Is this showing the signs.

I've seen replacement stereos on auction sites ranging from £20-£50 for the R770, and also sites that will crack the code for £10. But I know the code - is the decoding the same as the initial code?
stereo dash display - dereckr
General advice regarding Rover Philips models and remote display.
If you turn on the set and after a few seconds it “bleeps” and turns off, it is because, as far as the set’s concerned, there is no display connected. This can be a faulty display, connection or radio. It has nothing to do with the set code status. These sets will not function without the display connected.
Regarding the code. Every time an incorrect code is tried, the wait time will increase…maximum on this set is, from memory, a couple of hours. To remove the timeout, you have to leave the set connected to power and switched on, with the display showing “wait”. Any interruption to the supply before timeout is finished (display showing “C”), will reset back to original count time, as D.D. stated in his posting. From memory, the Rover display is not that expensive…trying to enter the code without the display is very difficult. Once the display is showing “C” you can enter the code, as per Rover instructions.
Yes, the bulb in the Rover display could be blown, again buy the proper lamp, if you want it to last. Automotive lamps have a proper supported filament to protect against vibration, cheap lamps usually don’t and are unlikely to be the correct voltage or wattage.
The time display is not controlled by the radio, but is internal to the display, so this will work without the set connected.
The code can be read on these sets by a decoder, the code cannot easily be changed, due to write protection of the device, so the original Philips code is still likely to be correct.

Advice given in good faith, I left the car radio business a couple of years ago, so I’m relying on memory!
stereo dash display - Paulco
Hullo Dereckr - I wonder if you might be able to help with my '92 Rover 214 radio? I had to have it computer searched for the code, which I got and which worked - for a while. Now it simply randomly kicks out for seemingly no reason. It might play for days, then require the code reset, or it might be minutes and anything in-between before the dreaded -C- appears. I can discern no pattern to it - other than it seems to do it when I am rivetted to a Radio 4 propgram!
stereo dash display - Dynamic Dave
Now it simply randomly kicks out for seemingly no reason.

Sounds to me like you've got a loose electrical connection somewhere.
stereo dash display - Civic8
If the power connector to radio is slightly offset ie not fully pushed in place,this will cause it,these are tight to push in so would check this.

If that does not work chances are its the set itself,I have had two fail on different rovers in 4 years!
--
Steve
stereo dash display - Civic8
Ps,also check the fuse in underbonnet fuse box,if its the same as 414? fuse may have corroded pins,IIRC 7.5 amp fuse that supplies permanent +(positive)memory supply.

May be wrong as dont know the 98 that well?
--
Steve
stereo dash display - dereckr
As DD says, an intermittent connection to power is the possible culprit. You will have to remove the set and inspect the connection plugs on the rear. As discussed earlier in this thread, the slightest break in power to the set's memory feed will cause the code request to be activated. The set itself is not above suspicion. In order to get it checked, you will have to find someone in your area who still repairs car radio equipment! A Last thought. The set code can be de-activated on these...the owners audio manual, if you have it, should tell you how.
Rover 214 stereo help needed - Chris S
The LCD on the centre of the dash of my Rover
214 1998 has failed to work for some time.

I thought I had the same problem but the LED was working - it was just very dim.

Try looking at it in the dark and you might be able to make out the figures.