Full Service History - Metropolis.

Looking on auto trader at older cars, ogtrn one owner examples, and they are described as having "Full Service History" only if you look a bit further into it, it had 8 services in 20 years.

I get it that it is probably a full recollection of the service history for the car, but can a service history which has missed the factory service intervals, really be described as 'full'?!

Full Service History - Bromptonaut

I get it that it is probably a full recollection of the service history for the car, but can a service history which has missed the factory service intervals, really be described as 'full'?!

It's a full history of the car's services.

Caveat Emptor.

Full Service History - Lee Power

A stamped service book also isn't proof of service history unless it also has the service invoices or printout to back it up.

Yes, I would rather see a bunch of reciepts than a fully stamped book. Both would be nice..

Full Service History - Trilogy.

Yes, I would rather see a bunch of reciepts than a fully stamped book. Both would be nice..

The last 3 vehicles I've bought had receipts and service book even though they were all over ten years old.

Full Service History - FoxyJukebox

A stamped service book also isn't proof of service history unless it also has the service invoices or printout to back it up.

Whenever I've offered my full service history "invoices" to a dealer when trading in an old car-they have always said-"don't need those"

Buyer beware, yes, but I think alot of buyers are not aware and think 'ooh, FULL service history'.

Full Service History - brum

Quite a few makes have for some time been able to officially go 2yrs between oil/filter change services, VAG, KIA, BMW and others..So its entirely possible that 20 yr has only 8 oil changes and still claim a FDSH. Whether that is a big problem.....it depends......its complicated......

Cue the recurring backroom favourite subject,

oil change frequency,

John F, your starter for ten........

Full Service History - pd

Unless it is something really exotic I'm not sure once a car gets to 15 or 20 years old what happened 10 years previously is too relevant anyway.

It's really about what is actually wrong and worn out at the moment than history and whether there as been some/any recent maintenance.

Full Service History - Engineer Andy

Quite a few makes have for some time been able to officially go 2yrs between oil/filter change services, VAG, KIA, BMW and others..So its entirely possible that 20 yr has only 8 oil changes and still claim a FDSH. Whether that is a big problem.....it depends......its complicated......

oil change frequency,

((Chuckle))

Full Service History - John F

.....So its entirely possible that 20 yr has only 8 oil changes and still claim a FDSH. Whether that is a big problem.....it depends......its complicated......

oil change frequency,

((Chuckle))

8 changes in 20yrs? Luxury! My 1980 TR7 has had only five changes since 1989, every four to six thousand miles or so. It still seems to work OK.

Full Service History - craig-pd130

It's a good point. My sister & husband recently had a modest windfall so decided to treat themselves to a car they fancied, a BMW 420d coupe.

They asked my opinion of a BMW approved used one they were looking at. 14 plate,50K miles. I checked the MoT history, the first MoT recorded the mileage as 4,500, so the car had hardly been driven in the first three years. BMW's condition based servicing means it had one service during that time, but still ...

I pointed this out to them, and suggested that they should look for one that's had more usage, but this model was exactly the colour and trim they wanted, so they bought it. I suppose if anything does go wrong within 12 months, they've got the warranty to fall back on.

Full Service History - Andrew-T

It seems reasonable to hope that a car which has been serviced at an appropriate franchised dealer should have a complete record throughout the warranty period. In my experience - I haven't owned many cars fitting that description - other cars may only get the book stamped if that is requested when paying the bill. So receipts are certainly more reliable evidence.

A couple of years ago I bought a 25-year-old car with two previous owners. It came with ten years of receipts, but the first 12 years and the warranty book were missing. I was happy with that as the records began still at the original dealership. Even with an elderly car records can still mean something, even if mostly for 'peace of mind'.

Of course anyone can stamp a book, and substitute books can also be found on the web. A genuine record is likely to include variations in handwriting and colour of ink.

Edited by Andrew-T on 14/04/2021 at 09:33

Full Service History - skidpan

Always had a service book with a car until the Skoda's. Even with a service book Kia insisted on full itemised receipts before work would be carried out but since we only had one warranty claim and the work was carried out by the supplier/maintaining dealer he had all the records. Should note that even today Kia have no central computerised record of servicing but they do have one for campaign recalls and updates, quite bizarre.

When we bought the first Skoda I paid £10 for a service book which actually proved to be a total waste of money. When the car was serviced they provided a print off showing details of every visit to a Skoda dealer with details of work carried out. By the end of 3 years this was far more worthwhile than any service book and was no doubt worthwhile info for the new owner. Probably something to do with data protection. The dealers details are shown together with the reg and VIN but no owner details, enough for the new owner to query the record should they need to.

Full Service History - Galaxy

Car service plans usually say something like the car should be serviced every 12 months or 12,000 miles.

Unfortunately quite a few people seem to think this means you can choose whichever limit suits them best. It doesn't, of course, it's whichever one is reached first.

So you'll find things like cars that have done 12,000 miles in 3 years and have just had one service!

This idea cost my niece a lot of money a few years ago. The limits set for the cambelt to be changed on her Renault was 5 years or 72,000 miles. She'd decided that she'd go for the 72,000 miles in spite of the fact that her car was about 10 years old and had never had the belt changed.

Yes, you've guessed it! The cambelt went at 68,000 miles and cost her about £2,000 for the necessary repairs!

Full Service History - John F

I think a full service history is very important. Although I have never taken our cars for a garage 'service' I meticulously record every episode of significant attention, e.g. every time I add exactly 500mls of oil, or when I grease the brake pipes......or when I last inspected the original cambelt in the 20yr old Focus ;-) I see that I last cleaned its original air and pollen filters in June 2018 at 131,000 miles. (My son has the car, but I still have its Service History Log).

Full Service History - movilogo

it had 8 services in 20 years.

If it is a banger, hardly matters if the price is right and drives OK.

If it is a classic type car and you are expecting it to hold its value in future, then different matter.

I have seen cases where even main dealers messed up with service history. So for a 20 year old car in private sale, I'd give benefit of doubt.

Full Service History - sammy1

I always keep all invoices service tyres etc for when I sell it on. I always sell and buy privately.

When you trade a car I do not know what credence the main dealers give you in the part ex for the service history anything iffy and they trade it on in any case. As for car supermarkets or the likes of WBAC who knows how they are valuing second hand cars.

What is more noticeable is the longer mileage now between servicing. It is common to see even 2 year old cars advertised as "service not due yet" If I was buying I would at least want an oil service.

Most WBAC and PX cars end up being traded or at auction. It that point it will say something to the buyer like "S/BK - 7 stamps" and that will be the sum total of info to the buyer.

So, really, much beyond that is of no value to WBAC or a PX buyer. Even then on an older or higher mileage car the price between a car which says that or no history is very small at trade level.

On newer and more exotic the effect is more but even then not as much as you would perhaps think.

Full Service History - brum

Most of the grief I've had over almost 50 years driving is directly associated with dealers/garages touching my cars mechanically.

As stated earlier, if its a banger or even just a moderately old car, you should never use a service record, genuine or otherwise as a be all and end all. A good all round inspection and test drive is always required. Check tyres, brakes, suspension, general wear and tear, rust, accident damage, check oil colour/smell/level etc. and more. Naturally it needs someone who has the right skills and knowledge.

If buying privately, get a handle on the buyer, their reasons, attitude, whether they are hiding something, accept the risk it could be a pile of cr#p

Ask the right questions, maybe get it all recorded or in writing if you have doubts

The state of the tyres/wheels can tell a lot, worn out, damaged, mismatched, noname brands on a prestige marque is a simple sign of someone who doesn't care much about servicing or maintenance (two distictly seperate things btw)

Before buying any car, check car forums about common problems on the cars/engine/gearbox. And whether you need to have further major work carried out, ie cambelts, cam chains, auto gearbox fluids etc Don't forget certain things have a limited lifespan, thinking DPF and batteries.

I would never buy any VAG 1.8tsi engined car, or one with a DSG gearbox. But even here in this modest forum are many tales of every marque having particular engines and gearboxes to avoid,

Edited by brum on 14/04/2021 at 15:28

Full Service History - madf

I recall looking at a very nice Citroen Xantia - top of the range with FSH AND all invoices.

After a quick look at recent invoices I ran away: it was costing the owner about £700 a year in parts and repair bills.. Spheres, pump, sensors , brakes etc...

Proves the point that service history doesn't always sell cars.

You'd be surprised how often if you tell a punter "it's got 14 stamps in the book" people will say "wow. That's too rich for me. I need a car which only needs servicing every 3 years. Sorry, can't afford it".

I recall looking at a very nice Citroen Xantia - top of the range with FSH AND all invoices. After a quick look at recent invoices I ran away: it was costing the owner about £700 a year in parts and repair bills.. Spheres, pump, sensors , brakes etc...

But surely that may have meant that all the necessary work had been done on it ? Which was why it was 'very nice' ? :-)

Full Service History - 72 dudes

I recall looking at a very nice Citroen Xantia - top of the range with FSH AND all invoices.

After a quick look at recent invoices I ran away: it was costing the owner about £700 a year in parts and repair bills.. Spheres, pump, sensors , brakes etc...

H'mm interesting!

I'd be more of the opinion, "oh well that's a load of stuff I won't have to have done for a while". And "this guy has obviously maintained his car regardless of expense".

As for PD's remarks about people wanting less service history, that's just crazy. I suppose it reflects people treating cars like white goods or mobile phones.

Was there any demographic associated with these comments?

Andrew T, our comments overlapped!

Edited by 72 dudes on 14/04/2021 at 18:22

it had 8 services in 20 years.

If it is a banger, hardly matters if the price is right and drives OK. If it is a classic type car and you are expecting it to hold its value in future, then different matter. I have seen cases where even main dealers messed up with service history. So for a 20 year old car in private sale, I'd give benefit of doubt.

With an elderly car, the main benefit of a bunch of invoices is evidence of what has been (claimed to be) done. That may avoid the need to do everything, assuming that nothing has been done - especially for something pricey like a cambelt.

Full Service History - FoxyJukebox

I know a chap who drives a ten year old car ,has mots every year and gets what needs to be done/done--then just has a short annual service including oil change. He's never had any trouble with that concept and has no plans to change his car...but to be fair ,when he's suspicious about something/performance--he always gets it dealt with!

He says he saves ££££££s