Indicator self cancel - GroovyChick{P}
I've just discovered that a spring has fallen out of my steering column, in my focus, and now my indicator self cancel doesn't work. I replaced the whole indicator/main beam stalk a couple of months ago as the main beam was sticking on, everything has been ok until today.

I'm finding it really annoying that the cancellation doesn't work. Could the spring be out of the unit itself or is it something that has just fallen from the steering gubbings etc..

Can anybody tell me if its easy to fix or is it going to be more trouble than its worth.

Thanks in advance

GC
Indicator self cancel - henry k
I recently changed the indicator stalk too.
Looking at the old one, there is a small spring showing on the side of the unit. I do not know how it is retained.
As it is a no tools job to pop the old one out I suggest a quick look.
I needed to change mine because the computer switch on the end had failed. Having changed the stalk it was obvious that the headlight bit was very poor. Not very impressed at less than 30K but at least it was easy to change and not too bad at £25.
Henry,

I agree it was easy to change. Currently looking for the old stalk (think it may have gone in the bin) so i can see if there is a difference between the two. The other half had a look to see if he could see where the spring came from and he can't tell.

If not, it may a trip to my local garage to see how much the damage will be :-(

Thanks for the advice anyway guys

GC
Indicator self cancel - henry k
I bought my replacement in the last 6 months and it has the additional computer switch on it so I assume it will cost less than my £25.51
When I look at the old stalk in its normal orientation.
The spring I previously mentioned is bottom right and facing me. It is silver and lodged in the plastic housing.

After further study there are also two much smaller longer springs, copper coloured, either side of a retractable square pin that appears to engauge with the steering column. When the indicator stalk is moved the square pin extends towards the steering column. When the pin is extended, a sideways nudge on it cancels the direction indicated.

Over to you. Have another look. Is the spring copper colured?

The bottom line is I think it is buy a new one.
Cheers,

I'll have a look and let you know how i get on.

GC
I've had another look to see if i can see what you mean. I can see the springs you talk about in the unit itself but am at a loss to see where the copper coloured one is. I'll keep looking, i dont think its the unit itself so i think buying a new one would be a waste of money. I'll probably end up having someone professional look at it!

Wish I could figure it out myself - i'll keep trying tho!

GC
Indicator self cancel - Dynamic Dave
Can anybody tell me if its easy to fix or is it going to be
more trouble than its worth?

Depending on how long you intend keeping the car, it's an MOT failure if the self cancel isn't working.
Indicator self cancel - JohnM52
Depending on how long you intend keeping the car, it's an
MOT failure if the self cancel isn't working.

Hi DD
Are you sure about this, I have vehicles which never had self-cancel and they pass every year, or at least don't fail for that fault.
Indicator self cancel - Dynamic Dave
JohnM52, that's what I've been led to believe.

However, I think a lot of it depends on the individual tester, and also the class and age of the vehicle also plays a part. I could be completely wrong though. I just took a look at an MOT site and could find no info about it.

A lorry or bus for example doesn't have self cancelling indicators due to the number of times the steering wheel has to be turned to perform the simplest of manouvers.
Indicator self cancel - Cliff Pope
Lucky you! I've often wished I didn't have to have self-cancelling indicators - I find them a real pain the way they decide to cancel when I don't want them to. There is a junction on my way to work with a slight wiggle in the road just before it - I have to re-set the indicator 2 or 3 times in 10 yards. And if you reset an indicator after it has just self-cancelled there is a harsh graunchy sound as of plastic nearly cracking.
And then when you really want them to cancel, somebody drives for miles with the indicators going.
Indicator self cancel - John S
DD

There are certainly different rules depending upon the age of the vehicle. My Morris Minor passes every year without self-cancelling indicators and non-latching seat backs (neither broken - it just never had them) and the emission test is 'no visible emissions'.

That said, on newer cars I've never seen an MOT tester check that indicator self-cancelling worked - the main issue is whether the indicators flash.

Regards

john S
Indicator self cancel - DomT

In 30 years of car ownership I've NEVER seen a tester check self cancelling, I have had a fail for a rear fog lamp dash switch not securely fixed in its hole though.

Buses/coaches/trucks DO have sef cancelling. in 22yrs as a PCV driver I've never come across one that hasn't..

Indicator self cancel - terryb
Point of interest, early Citroens right up until the Visa and early BXs had non-self cancelling indicators.

The story I heard was that Andre Citroen's brother was killed by someone whose indicator had cancelled before they turned so he vowed never to fit them to his cars. May be apocryphal of course - could just as easily happen the other way ie non-cancelled indicator makes brother think car's not going to go straight on!
Terry