Skoda Fabia or New Nissan Micra - tracey
Im looking to buy a 1/2 year old supermini and can't decide which one will be the best choice. Having read glowing reports on both, as far as reliability and low cost fuel consumption for say 1.4 engine for either of these - which one will be the best buy? I want to keep this car for many years.Your opinions will be greatly received. Or any other make of car for that matter. Ta guys!
Skoda Fabia or New Nissan Micra - Phil G
If you get a Fabia don't bother with the 1.4 8v as it is an old duffer and won't give you good economy. Get one of the 16v engines, or even better the 100bhp TDI which has to make it one of the best superminis. TDI gives hot hatch performance with 60mpg if driven carefully.
Skoda Fabia or New Nissan Micra - TrevP
The Micra is a very good town car (as is the Yaris)- but no contest for motorway trips (aspecially the punchy Tdi as tracey says).

From What Car?:-
"Refinement -
One of the Fabia's greatest tricks is to convince you that you're piloting a car several classes up. No other supermini isolates you from external influences so effectively, or is such a relaxing motorway companion"

I have been to Spain twice in SWMBO's - very relaxing.
sorry, as Phil said.
Skoda Fabia or New Nissan Micra - Dizzy {P}
My sister-in-law has had several Micras and says that her current one (about two years old) is a bit of a let down. She thinks that economies have been made with this version and she's not happy with it. Apparently it is reliable but has little else in its favour so far as she is concerned and I doubt if she'll have another. I've never looked twice at a Micra myself so cannot comment further.

As I've mentioned on this forum before, my son has a Fabia SDi Classic (non-turbo diesel) and he is extremely impressed with it. Having travelled for around 1000 miles in it, and having driven it for a couple of hundred of those miles, I totally agree with his enthusiasm. I tend to go for larger cars but if I wanted a 'supermini' it would definitely be a Fabia (but, as has been said, NOT the 1.4 8-valve petrol version).
Skoda Fabia or New Nissan Micra - DavidHM
Im looking to buy a 1/2 year old supermini and can't decide which one will be the best choice.

Does this mean 1/2 as in half a year, six months, i.e., one of the very first current shape Micras, or 1 to 2 years and not a new Micra at all but one of the last of the old shape?

If it's an older car, Just make sure that you're getting a real saving over new. Look at the prices on www.broker4cars.co.uk/fabiaprices.htm

Ideally, a 1.4 16v Comfort or Elegance is the best - if under one year old, a Comfort will have ABS, otherwise it's Elegance only. New ones also have 3 years' interest free with a 40% desposit.

If you're interested in a six month old car, there are so few new Micras around that you're probably better off going for a new one to make sure you get the spec you want and free insurance.
Skoda Fabia or New Nissan Micra - Maz
You should also consider the Yaris and the Honda Jazz, both amongst the class leaders in the field.

Skoda Fabia or New Nissan Micra - peterb
The old shape Micra is a bit long-in-the-tooth compared to the Fabia, Yaris or Jazz.
Thanks - I fancied the Comfort model of Fabia actually - A brand new micra is out of my price range at the moment but I agree though the micras are hard to come by at the moment at a good reduction! T
Thanks - Interesting comment about the Micra - it was the new shape I was looking at - but dont want to get one just it looks cute but I keep reading about how reliable they are - you know "Get Japanese will last forever kinda thing" etc etc Micras are I think everyones comments here is gearing me towards the Fabia (even though its a bit boring looking) T
Thanks - what is SWMBO's please ? Do you think diesals are worth investing in even if youre not a frequent long distance driver? I probably do about 15 long trips a year around the country to be honest -
tracey -

SWMBO has a Tdi Comfort.

Re diesels:- they are much better than petrol if you do 2 miles each way each day plus 100 miles each way on Sat.

This is because petrols need 5 minutes to warm up - during which time economy is poor and the "cat" in the exhaust is not working.

Then on motorways the high gearing of diesels is very relaxing -
SWMBO's is doing 2400 revs at an indicated 80.

Try one - see what you think.
Skoda Fabia or New Nissan Micra - Dynamic Dave
Thanks - what is SWMBO's please ?

An acronym for She Who Must Be Obeyed. ie, the missus.
So 1.6V TDI would be a good choice? You dont see many Fabias on the road though? is it because of its image problem?
Skoda Fabia or New Nissan Micra - hootie
Tracey - sorry I always seem to answer a question with a question. Actually, no, with several questions.

Do you have a fixed budget? Will you want to use a main dealer (especially for servicing etc. for the balance of warranty) and have you got any other priorities or preferences e.g. looks/shape and level of specification? Is insurance cost a priority too (presumably?)

If you do, and can post these then I'm sure you'll get plenty of really objective advice.

Can't offer opinions on the two cars you've mentioned so far, but for information, have just ordered a small engine Yaris, for a family 'pool' car, and have a Honda myself - which has been totally reliable.
Thanks - yeh my budget is about #6,500 at the moment and I would prefer to trade in my 3dr Rav 4 - I just want to get all my motoring costs down across the board - I need a supermini with 5 doors and definitely air cond (dogs) Ive test driven the Yaris and it was very nice but I want the car with the maximum space inside and Fabia seems to excel in this area - yes, Ive consider a Honda as these always come up in this top 10 list - I cant decide - I would like a diesal car but will probably have to up the budget - ive seen a 3 year fabia (#5,500) Comfort with air con 5 doors nice condition but it has 41,000 on the clock and although this is average I was hoping to get really low mileage too! T
Skoda Fabia or New Nissan Micra - eMBe {P}
As your title says "new Micra", I asssume you do mean the latest 2003 version.

Read HJ's car-by-car breakdown as well as his Road Test. Based on those, I would choose the new Micra.
Skoda Fabia or New Nissan Micra - Welliesorter
If you\'re considering a Fabia, you might like to look at the Silverline or Blueline (see tinyurl.com/jgqc ). This is the latest version of a special edition that seems to appear once or twice a year. It includes a few nice extras for little more than the price of the basic Classic. Unlike the previous incarnations, the current one has the the more powerful of Skoda\'s 1.2 litre engines and a CD player.

I\'ve had a Fabia for a few months and am pleased with it so far. As the What Car review says, it feels bigger than it is. My main reason for choosing it was that it was more comfortable than the similar cars I\'d tried: not many cars of this size have a steering wheel that adjusts both ways. Also the driver\'s seat supports the lower back a lot better than in many cars. I found this to be a particular weakness in the current Fiesta.

I bought new rather than second hand because I found there to be little difference between the price of new through a broker (see the links on this site) and nearly new directly from a main dealer.
I will look into these models but has to be second hand as my budget is not quite there - however Im glad youve had a good experience - you dont see many around do you? also it is (or looks) longer than your average supermini or is this the illusion you were talking about? T
I will look into these models but has to be second
hand as my budget is not quite there - however
Im glad youve had a good experience - you dont see
many around do you? also it is (or looks) longer
than your average supermini or is this the illusion you were
talking about? T

I see plenty of Fabias around but this is a subjective thing: as soon as you start to consider a particular car, or get one yourself, you start to notice them. As someone who's old enough to remember the days of the dreadful rear engined (pre-VW takeover) cars, when owners used to give each other supportive waves, I quite like the reverse snobbery of owning a Skoda. People who aren't badge snobs (or don't spot the badge) just see a nice looking little car.

The Fabia is one of the biggest cars in its class but isn't hugely bigger than its obvious competitors (13 cm longer than a Jazz, 12.5 cm longer than a Punto, 4.3 cm longer than a Fiesta, 6.3 cm longer than a Polo*). Again, it's subjective but I'd say the illusion is caused by the shape of the car.

I found that in this sector of the market there are few used bargains to be had which is why I bought new. If you were looking at cars a size bigger there are more nearly new bargains around but that takes you into a higher price range anyway. The diesel one you mentioned doesn't sound a bad buy. I'm no expert but I believe diesel engines last longer so 41,000 miles isn't massive. On the other hand you'd (just) lose out on the original warranty, by buying one that's three years old.

*Source: a What Car? test from last year comparing these and a few other cars in which the Fabia (16v 1.4 petrol Comfort) came out as the favourite.
Oh dear - you see I originally wanted to new micra cause it looks so lovely but I keep being practical! also #7,000 is the cheapest you can get a 5 door with no air con T
At £5,500, you're getting a very good price for a diesel Fabia. I assume it's the 1.9 non turbo lump, which isn't massively fast, but at this money, I'd say you've got yourself a good deal.

For quality, space and comfort I'd say the Fabia is the best three year old supermini there is - with a Yaris close behind, but it'll cost more and won't be a diesel. Although the petrols are very economical (more so than the Fabia) this will be about as cheap to run as you can get.

Low mileage is less important than how the car's been cared for, and if it's had the chance to get up to decent temperature to give it a good clean out. If you found one with 15k, it would almost certainly be ~£1k more expensive and there's no reason for it to be any better or last any longer.

Just to make sure you are getting a good deal, how old is your RAV4, what spec, what mileage, and are there any major faults? How much are you being offered for it? Even if it's an M-reg with £100k, you should be getting in the mid £2k range as a part-ex. £5500 plus your RAV4 would NOT be a good deal!
Skoda Fabia or New Nissan Micra - Flat in Fifth
I can't see anywhere if you've mentioned your typical usage. If you have and I've missed it then, sorry, I'll get my coat.

If your annual mileage is fairly low and therefore lots of short trips and, for some reason, you end up deciding to go with a petrol; be seriously wary of the 16v engines. Also if its a 2nd hand 16v with prev low mileage owner.

They (16v) really do NOT like this sort of treatment, the old 8v engine copes with it much better. As will a diesel. That's info straight from the dealer network.

The question you have to consider is; will the extra cost of getting a diesel engined version be paid back in any reasonable time frame?

Needs thinking about IMO.
Skoda Fabia or New Nissan Micra - Flat in Fifth
BTW forgot to mention Mrs FiF loves her Fab Fabia, 15 months old, nothing wrong on delivery, nor since.

For a base model car I'm surprised how good it is every time I can manage to prise the keys from her handbag.
If your annual mileage is fairly low and therefore lots of
short trips and, for some reason, you end up deciding to
go with a petrol; be seriously wary of the 16v engines.
Also if its a 2nd hand 16v with prev low mileage
owner.
They (16v) really do NOT like this sort of treatment, the
old 8v engine copes with it much better. As will a
diesel. That's info straight from the dealer network.

Oh excellent... looks as if I made the right choice after all. I really couldn't justify the extra cost of one of the more expensive engines.
Actually, the car I mentioned with 41,000 on the clock is not a diesel I didnt explain properly. I would like a diesel ideally subject to price - sorry - by the Toyota garage I was offered #4,800 for the Rav - it has 44,000 on the clock, GDX version no faults had major service 2 months ago. Thanks for the advice everyone - So Im still can't decide - its Skoda versus Nissan .....help .......does anyone know if the storage space (I am going to a dealers for both these makes) is bigger in the Fabia than the Micra?
So your budget is £1700 plus trade in? Or more? What year is the RAV4? And was that price for a straight sale or a trade in against another car?
Skoda Fabia or New Nissan Micra - AlanGowdy
Tracey, the Fabia is roomy, refined, comfortable and well made. The Micra might be all of these things too - but oh dear, what on earth does it look like?
Nothing on earth, as far as I can tell, except maybe a south American tree frog. Still, she loves the looks.
Skoda Fabia or New Nissan Micra - eMBe {P}
tracey - Like FiF, I can't find any description of your normal car usage (miles per week, where & when driven, etc.) except that you want to carry dogs.

In HJ's test of the Mazda2
www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=88
he says >>"
I rate it at about third in the class, jogging for position against the Polo, but behind the class-leading Honda Jazz and running-up Toyota Yaris. However, it does have some advantages over the Yaris. The Mazda 2 boot is bigger even with the Yaris rear seat slid forward. The loading sill is lower, so it?s ideal for people with small dogs and anything which needs to be wheeled into the car. And it?s arguably more fun to drive.

So, depending on exactly what you are looking for in a shopping car, it could be on your shopping list.">>
Clearly, he thinks the Jazz/Yaris/Mazda2/Polo(i.e.Fabia in disguise) are in a different class to Micra for carrying dogs.

The Micra test is at
www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=69
Remember HJ rates its brakes as first class - because they saved him from running in to a Jag, but the Fiat behind HJ was unable to stop crashing in to the Micra!
This is how HJ starts and ends the Micra test >>" ?Ahhh....cute. It?s like a baby.? Those were my wife?s words when she first caught sight of the frogeyed new Nissan Micra. Smart girl. She summed it up straight away. ....
...... I?ve already recommended one to a lady wanting a car for her 17 year old daughter. Blokes might hesitate a bit, because it?s not a blokey car. On the other hand they might want to put over their caring sensitive, unaggressive nature, so it could be a bird puller too. Especially of girls who believe that inside every frog there's a handsome prince.">>