Worth buying diesel for long term ownership? - Warning

I am looking at a particular car, but most on sale seem to be diesels. I am a low mileage user.

Perhaps 6,000miles pre-pandemic. Much less now.

Most of my driving is in town or to the supermarket.

Given the low mileage. I hold on to cars for a long time. However, I am worried about the tightening of laws around diesels. I want to future proof it.

I do need travel into Central London from time to time. I don't want to be restricted in say 5 years time, because rules have become stricter.

It is unclear, if the car is Euro 5 or Euro 6. I am looking at model which are 3 to 5 years old.

For London, the minimum is Euro 6, but is this a good safe bet for long term ownership?

Worth buying diesel for long term ownership? - Xileno

"Most of my driving is in town or to the supermarket."

Just the sort of use that will probably cause DPF problems.

Worth buying diesel for long term ownership? - daveyjp

London won't get more diesel friendly over time so they are best avoided.

If a petrol isn't an option for the vehicle you would like you may need to reconsider what you would like.

Worth buying diesel for long term ownership? - RT

Don't buy a diesel, nothing to do with diesel falling out of favour, all to do with your usage pattern doesn't suit diesel.

My use is split between short local journeys and long hauls with a caravan - so rather than continue risking damage to my big diesel SUV, I've bought a 10-year old city car, Citroen C1, for the short journeys, it's Euro 5 petrol which gives me a bit of leeway on ULEZ restrictions.

Worth buying diesel for long term ownership? - concrete

^k miles per annum is very low and not really viable for diesel. I do about 8 to 9k mpa but need a diesel to tow my caravan. I do regular 600 to 700 mile round trips to North Yorkshire which helps the vehicle a lot and gives it good long runs. I intend to keep the car until it no longer is viable or is unserviceable, by which time I will probably be too old to caravan anyway. Then probably a small hybrid.

I live fairly close to London. 30 minutes on the fast train and about 55 mins on the milk train. Wouldn't really consider going into London with my car. Public transport links are very good and affordable.

Cheers Concrete

Worth buying diesel for long term ownership? - Engineer Andy

Simple answer - no.