Secondhand Jaguar XE vs New 2021 Dacia Sandero - Luxury Secondhand vs New Small Car - Geoff Dude
Hi All,

Looking at getting another car but can’t decide on whether to get a secondhand Jaguar XE at £10000 or a new Dacia Sandero 2021 model based on Renault Clio. Mileage is about 10,000 to 13,000 but hearing mixed comments on Jaguar Servicing charges. I know the Jag will be a better ride and more luxurious but what about reliability and cost of unforeseen things like clutch etc on the Jaguar. Both cars space wise are ok for me. Also considering a Secondhand Mondeo for same price but don’t know what engine to consider as I am also worried about DPF filters. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Secondhand Jaguar XE vs New 2021 Dacia Sandero - Luxury Secondhand vs New Small Car - _

The XE is not the best of the jaguars. Be prepared for high servicing costs as well as high parts costs.

There is only one xe petrol on autotrader at £10,995.

The rest are diesels which i think you prefer having mentioned a DPF.

There are none from Jaguar dealers to get a 1 year jaguar warranty.

Just get yourself a top spec Sandero, extend the warranty to 5 years (or more), buy a service pack, and think of all the stress and money you will save.

( From an ex Jag parts manager.)

Edited by _ORB_ on 30/03/2021 at 15:30

Secondhand Jaguar XE vs New 2021 Dacia Sandero - Luxury Secondhand vs New Small Car - badbusdriver

That is kind of a one extreme to the other situation!. Isn't there a happy medium?, something a bit younger (with 'up to 60k miles', youngest on Autotrader for that money is 2017, of which there is one diesel at Car Giant, then you are into 2016 cars), or at least more reliable, than the Jag, but a bit higher up the desirability charts than the Sandero?.

Having said that, you might be surprised by the Sandero's ride comfort and refinement, especially on a sensible wheel/tyre combination. It might not be as far away as you think!.

But £11k gives an enormous list of options.

Secondhand Jaguar XE vs New 2021 Dacia Sandero - Luxury Secondhand vs New Small Car - barney100

Let us know which option you for. Would say I've had several diesels without any DPF issues.

Secondhand Jaguar XE vs New 2021 Dacia Sandero - Luxury Secondhand vs New Small Car - chris87
Get a mazda 6 petrol and you get the best of both worlds. Reliability and low maintenance costs, but a nice cabin and a large amount of gizmos.
Secondhand Jaguar XE vs New 2021 Dacia Sandero - Luxury Secondhand vs New Small Car - skidpan
Get a mazda 6 petrol and you get the best of both worlds. Reliability and low maintenance costs, but a nice cabin and a large amount of gizmos.

Better still get a Skoda Superb 1.5 TSI 150 PS. Your £10000 should get a nice Mk3. 45 mpg and great performance and no DPF. A cabin that matches an Audi at Dacia money.

Secondhand Jaguar XE vs New 2021 Dacia Sandero - Luxury Secondhand vs New Small Car - sammy1

Better still get a Skoda Superb 1.5 TSI 150 PS. Your £10000 should get a nice Mk3. 45 mpg and great performance and no DPF. A cabin that matches an Audi at Dacia money.

Might have been me you are referring to. Drove a brand new Superb 1.5 DSG that was totally dumb but a 3000 mile old Passat 1.5 DSG was better (but still not perfect. Neither was jerky, just a bit slow witted.

Both of these quotes came from the same person I don.t think for one moment the interior of a Skoda matches anything in the Audi stable

The second quote seems to contradict the first!

Dacia is old tech and corresponding cheap and will depreciate like a stone is my view

Secondhand Jaguar XE vs New 2021 Dacia Sandero - Luxury Secondhand vs New Small Car - badbusdriver

Might have been me you are referring to. Drove a brand new Superb 1.5 DSG that was totally dumb but a 3000 mile old Passat 1.5 DSG was better (but still not perfect. Neither was jerky, just a bit slow witted.

The OP doesn't say he wants an auto and skidpan isn't recommending a DSG. The second comment is specifically about the DSG, so no contradiction as far as I can see.

Both of these quotes came from the same person I don.t think for one moment the interior of a Skoda matches anything in the Audi stable

I don't have personal experience of the Superb's cabin, but I do read plenty of motoring magazines. As a general rule, motoring magazines are, IMO overly obsessed with how nice (or otherwise) the interior plastics on a car are. And they seem to be very impressed with the big Skoda's interior.

Dacia is old tech and corresponding cheap and will depreciate like a stone is my view

That may well be your opinion, which of course you are entitled to, but the facts don't support that opinion.

Secondhand Jaguar XE vs New 2021 Dacia Sandero - Luxury Secondhand vs New Small Car - chris87
Look mate, I son’t know you personally, but a skoda cabin doesn’t match an Audi one, end of. If you think it does, you haven’t sat in an Audi recently. What’s next, Skoda is a Porsche because they’re both VAG? :-)

Also, that 1.5 FSI engine doesn’t even come close to the reliability of a skyactiv G.
Secondhand Jaguar XE vs New 2021 Dacia Sandero - Luxury Secondhand vs New Small Car - skidpan
Look mate, I son’t know you personally, but a skoda cabin doesn’t match an Audi one, end of. If you think it does, you haven’t sat in an Audi recently. What’s next, Skoda is a Porsche because they’re both VAG? :-) Also, that 1.5 FSI engine doesn’t even come close to the reliability of a skyactiv G.

Before we bought the 2nd Superb in October we looked at many cars which included the A4, Q3, 320i and V60. The BMW was very nice, the V60 better but the A4 and Q3 were both disapointing compared to the Superb.

The engine in the VAG cars is the TSi (or TFSi in Audi speak) and not the FSi, that was the non-turbo they sold years ago. We are on our 4th TSi, 2 x 1.4's (a 140 PS and a 150 PS), a 1.0 TSi 110 PS and more recently the 1.4 in the Superb iV.. I won't include the iV, not had it long but the engines in the other three have been totally faultless. We have owned 4 other VW's in the past and the engines in those were also totally faultless. Dout a Mazda could get better than 100% reliabilty.

None of the above is what I have read, its total fact because I have owned them.

The 1.5 turbo engine has problems. Jerky, oil consumption etc.

And yes, the Mazda will be more reliable, the current generation is probably the most reliable petrol engine in the world. I used to own (and am still a fan of) an Audi, before you judge my motives.

But regardless, my point was about the cabin. A skoda will never have a nicer cabin than an audi, it’s simply not logical or possible.

Edited by chris87 on 30/03/2021 at 20:46

Secondhand Jaguar XE vs New 2021 Dacia Sandero - Luxury Secondhand vs New Small Car - Metropolis.
Quote: A skoda will never have a nicer cabin than an audi, it’s simply not logical or possible.

I am not sure I agree with you here. The Superb is the top of the line Skoda. In Laurent and Clement spec (or some name like that), it is very well appointed and not just on features but material quality too.

An Audi A4 and a Audi Q3 are entry level in the Audi range. It is perfectly possible a well specced Skoda Superb flagship will trump them both inside.
The Audi A4 is far from entry level. You confuse a car class/size with its build quality.
Secondhand Jaguar XE vs New 2021 Dacia Sandero - Luxury Secondhand vs New Small Car - Metropolis.
It is entry level luxury, like the C Class, 3 series and XE. It directly corresponds to the class/size.

Those models, and the ones below them like A1 etc. are designed to meet certain demographics needs, the smaller the model (on a premium brand) the cheaper the price. Gets new younger aspirational buyers into the brand who will buy an A4, then progress to an A6, or maybe even an A8, in extremely simple terms ignoring the plethora of other models in between.

Its why Mercedes put their new technology on their flagship S-Class first, and eventually it will trickle down to the entry level luxury C Class.
Secondhand Jaguar XE vs New 2021 Dacia Sandero - Luxury Secondhand vs New Small Car - Andrew-T

Much of this argument (?discussion) seems to prove little more than the fact that different people have different tastes, at least in car interiors. Batting them back and forth doesn't help the OP, who will have to make up his own mind.

I'm completely unbiased here as I leave VAG cars well alone :-)

Secondhand Jaguar XE vs New 2021 Dacia Sandero - Luxury Secondhand vs New Small Car - Big John
The 1.5 turbo engine has problems. Jerky, oil consumption etc.

The 1.4 EA211 as fitted to the Superb mkIII until 2018 is a fabulous engine - the OP £10k budget would only be enough for a car pre 2018.

The post 2016 Audi A4 is a really good car though - and myself I like the inline orientation of the engine as opposed to transverse in the Superb. In some respects it reminds me of the Superb mkI oily bits which also had an inline engine orientation. I also think the front seats are great (but that is subjective). When the 2016 model was introduced lower power versions were available with the great 1.4 tsi EA211 - later ones with the same 150ps came with a de-tuned 2.0tsi engine.

Re Dacia. A friend of mine bought a Stepway brand new - he says it's 'alright' - faint praise. It's a noisy place to be on a run - newer versions might be better.

I'm contemplating a Superb III but the A4 is impressive. I know someone who is on his third.

Edited by Big John on 30/03/2021 at 22:51

Secondhand Jaguar XE vs New 2021 Dacia Sandero - Luxury Secondhand vs New Small Car - Tester

I'm not familiar with Audi but here's a mildly amusing true story, relevant to the Skoda Superb ...

A few years ago, a colleague and I were picked up from Heathrow by our company's usual chauffeur service for the trip back to the Midlands. The car was a Superb estate. After a while I said to my colleague something like, 'It's a good car, isn't it?', to which he replied along the lines of, 'For sure - I suppose there's a reason for these being used all over the world as good-quality taxis.'

'What do you mean?'

'Well, this - a Mercedes. They're used everywhere.'

Like I say, I can't compare with Audi from experience but have been in various Superbs over the years and have always been impressed. To be honest, as a passenger I found them better than the Merc E-class cars used at the time by Emirates chauffeur services. If I wanted a big estate again, then I'd look very hard at the Superb.

Secondhand Jaguar XE vs New 2021 Dacia Sandero - Luxury Secondhand vs New Small Car - Alby Back
Much of this is down to attitude to cars in general. If your main position is to obtain a pragmatic and utilitarian transport solution then there are vehicles that will provide that in spades.

If you want more than that then it will almost certainly cost something either in monetary terms or in attitude to risk.

I choose to drive a so called premium brand because I like it and I can afford it. But at times in my life when I couldn't I chose more financially risk free options and no doubt will again at some point.

"The 1.5 turbo engine has problems. Jerky, oil consumption etc".

I covered this back in October when we were considering the 1.5 TSi Superb and Passat Estates with a DSG box. We had 3 test drives. 2 were in the Passat (a 3000 mile ex-demo), both early AM with a car that had not been driven since the previous day (at least), one test drive was a frosty morning. Both were over about 20 miles and we did not experience any jerking. We had the Superb (10 mile on the clock brand new car just going on the demo fleet) from late am one day to late am the next, covered about 100 miles including one stone cold start and again like the Passat no jerking. Based on the tests I would have been happy to commit to the 1.5 TSi. What put us of the cars (and ultimately led us to getting the iV) was the DSG boxes. The Passat was OK (just) but you needed to change from drive to sport to get the best out of it, (we wanted an auto, this needed driver input in normal driving). The DSG in the Superb was dreadful but that might have been because it was a new car and needed to learn what it actually was. It was constantly in the wrong gear and from a junction it was glacially slow, sport helped but not much. After these drives I tried a RAV 4 which has the CVT, a transmission I have never liked. It still exhibited some of the traits of old but it was much improved, preferred it to the Superb DSG, probably a tie with the Passat one.

"An Audi A4 and a Audi Q3 are entry level in the Audi range. It is perfectly possible a well specced Skoda Superb flagship will trump them both inside".

I am not referring to equipment, that depends on price and extras bought. What I am taking about is the quality and feel of the cabin materials that are common to all specs and the feel and look of those materials in the Skoda was better than those in the Audi’s. In truth the ambience in the front was similar in both brands was similar but in the rear the Audis took a step back whereas the Superb maintained a high standard. Both Audis we looked at were Sport spec (lower end trim) and the Superb we had at the time and drove to the dealer in was an SE (entry level), I know which was better, trust me.

"Like I say, I can't compare with Audi from experience but have been in various Superbs over the years and have always been impressed. To be honest, as a passenger I found them better than the Merc E-class cars used at the time by Emirates chauffeur services".

I was passenger in the rear of a Merc E class a couple of years ago at a funeral and have to say it was disappointing. For starters it had the “Artico” leather trim which as we know is plastic and the other materials were no better than our Suberb. But it was quite noisy (it was a petrol but no boot badge so no idea which one) and the ride was especially so together with some noticeable wind noise. The rear of the Superb is a much better place to be.

Secondhand Jaguar XE vs New 2021 Dacia Sandero - Luxury Secondhand vs New Small Car - pd

Obviously a brand new car with a full warranty will be more reliable and cost less to maontoan than a part worn used one. So will a new pair of shoes v part worn ones!

It's personal choice as to whether the extra risk and long term cost is worth it for the car which was far more expensive when new. There is no such thing as a free lunch with used cars, they depreciate for a reason.

That said I rate the XE as a very good all rounder which handles well but is also comfortable.

Personally I think they work best as an auto and ideally high spec. An auto portfolio is a much more convincing car than a manual SE in my opinion.

Obviously a brand new car with a full warranty will be more reliable and cost less to maontoan than a part worn used one.

Not necessarily, a new car should be reliable full stop, but that doesn't make it fact. The warranty means that if anything does go wrong, the owner won't be left to foot the bill. But that isn't going to help with the inconvenience.

Secondhand Jaguar XE vs New 2021 Dacia Sandero - Luxury Secondhand vs New Small Car - pd

Obviously a brand new car with a full warranty will be more reliable and cost less to maontoan than a part worn used one.

Not necessarily, a new car should be reliable full stop, but that doesn't make it fact. The warranty means that if anything does go wrong, the owner won't be left to foot the bill. But that isn't going to help with the inconvenience.

True enough, but at least in theory it should need less maintenance than a car with 80k miles on it. In theory anyway all the various things which sooner or later wear out will be at least at the start of their lives however long that is.

You can't get away from the fact that cars contain moving parts and ultimately anything which moves, be it a wheel bearing or an Aircon compressor will pack up eventually

Secondhand Jaguar XE vs New 2021 Dacia Sandero - Luxury Secondhand vs New Small Car - Ethan Edwards

I'm not one to be bothered about the interior materials etc. I don't spend time nuzzling the dash etc. In fact I own a couple of Suzukis so you can take that to the bank. Now that said we went to Singapore and Oz in 2019. We were whisked in E class Mercs in Singapore. But the taxi firm that dropped us off at Heathrow and picked us up again Skoda Superb estates. Can I just say that the difference in the interior was very little indeed as far as I could see. Both appeared to be very nice. Not my thing but very nice. The Merc as expected but I was really impressed by the Superb. I remember thinking now I get why people love these.

You’re not serious, are you? If yes, should’ve gone to specsavers. Literally search “e class interior” and “skoda superb interior” on google, it takes less than a minute. This whole thing is becoming ridiculous, honestly.
Secondhand Jaguar XE vs New 2021 Dacia Sandero - Luxury Secondhand vs New Small Car - _
You’re not serious, are you? If yes, should’ve gone to specsavers. Literally search “e class interior” and “skoda superb interior” on google, it takes less than a minute. This whole thing is becoming ridiculous, honestly.

It is.

The OP was about 2 buying choices.

I don't like the current crop of any of the VAG dark gloomy interiors, but that is me.

My kia has tailored blue seat covers to lighten it, and a simple radio system.

We are all different. If ethan is happy, good for him.

I don't like the current crop of any of the VAG dark gloomy interiors, but that is me.

My kia has tailored blue seat covers to lighten it, and a simple radio system.

We are all different. If ethan is happy, good for him.

You can specify light coloured interiors on the VAG cars we have bought but for us dark makes more sense and we are happy with that. When we bought the Kia there was no option to change anything other than the exterior colour.

Secondhand Jaguar XE vs New 2021 Dacia Sandero - Luxury Secondhand vs New Small Car - Andrew-T

VAG interiors have been dark and gloomy as long as I can remember noticing them. It may be the main reason why I have never considered owning one. I did try a Fabia when they were introduced - that was my first impression.

Yes Chris, your attitude and your responses are indeed why "This whole thing is becoming riculous".

Can you not read?. Ethan was comparing his own experiences of being a passenger in both an E Class and a Superb. Direct experience, get it?, so why would he need to google something which he already knows?.

You feel the need to put Audi, Merc, and Volvo up on a pedestal (for whatever reason). Whereas others (thankfully) are not swayed by badges, and judge the car on its own merits regardless of badge. So why don't you just accept that, grow up and move on.

You feel the need to put Audi, Merc, and Volvo up on a pedestal (for whatever reason). Whereas others (thankfully) are not swayed by badges, and judge the car on its own merits regardless of badge. So why don't you just accept that, grow up and move on.

Well said.

Secondhand Jaguar XE vs New 2021 Dacia Sandero - Luxury Secondhand vs New Small Car - John F

Now now, children - that's enough (where are the moderators?). I'd wager that if you were all blindfolded and driven smoothly to and from Heathrow by the same driver in the same manner in a big Merc, Skoda, Volvo and Ford estate, you would not be able identify them.

Now now, children - that's enough (where are the moderators?). I'd wager that if you were all blindfolded and driven smoothly to and from Heathrow by the same driver in the same manner in a big Merc, Skoda, Volvo and Ford estate, you would not be able identify them.

What is so wrong with agreeing with some posters and no agreeing with others, its called having your own opinion. On this forum we are allowed to express that opinion.

You have very strong opinions about car maintenance that many disagree with, are you suggesting those should be stopped as well?

As for your last sentence I agree unless you are familiar with a certain car in which case it would be obvious.

The OP was about 2 buying choices.

Perhaps in the future the moderators should remove any post that makes suggestions different to those in the OP's question regardless of how daft those suggestions were.

But surely when there are better options than those the OP suggests we should offer them.

What if someone wanted to know which to buy between a Mazda 6 Diesel and a Nissan Qashqai CVT, 2 cars not known for their reliability, what sensible advice could we give if alternatives were not permitted.

No, the ridiculous bit is a bunch of members stating that there’s little difference in interior quality between a skoda and a mercedes. It might be your opinion, but having that opinion more or less disqualifies you from saying much, as you’re clearly out of your depth.

The evidence is clear as daylight and can be found online in just 2 seconds, but you simply refuse to look at it due to your ignorance. It has been said before: however practical a skoda is, it’s VAG’s second cheapest brand and will never be in the same “luxury” class as an audi or mercedes. This is not me putting those brands on a pedestal, I would never buy a merc, for example, but despite that I won’t make ridiculous claims that budget cars have the same premium cabin as a merc, which is known for it’s brilliant, luxury interiors.

One of you taking a taxi from Heathrow won’t change that, I’m afraid. What’s next, stating that a vauxhall’s interior is jus as good or nice as a Jaguar’s? It will definitely be someone’s opinion, but is it worth listening to?

Edited by chris87 on 05/04/2021 at 10:25

It has been said before: however practical a skoda is, it’s VAG’s second cheapest brand

Shows how much you know, Skoda is VAG's cheapest brand.

Fabia is cheaper than a Ibiza

Scala is cheaper than a Leon

Kamiq is cheaper than a Arona

Karoq is cheaper than a Ateca

Kodiaq is cheaper than a Tarraco

Secondhand Jaguar XE vs New 2021 Dacia Sandero - Luxury Secondhand vs New Small Car - brum

If only everything in life was as reliable as my opinion........

Is it just me but why is every new thread turning into a discussion on Skodas and Superbs?

Even though it massages my ego and confirmation bias cos I got one, I really do think we need people talkimg about new Dacia Sanderos v second hand Jaguar XEs here, especially first hand experiences or useful insights on reliability, running costs, insurance even.

If only.....

Is it just me but why is every new thread turning into a discussion on Skodas and Superbs?

Even though it massages my ego and confirmation bias cos I got one, I really do think we need people talkimg about new Dacia Sanderos v second hand Jaguar XEs here, especially first hand experiences or useful insights on reliability, running costs, insurance even.

If only.....

Simple fact, not many posters have Dacia's and even fewer have Jaguar XE's , non as far as I am aware have bothe to provide the OP with a really valued judgement. If only people who owned those car were permitted to answer the post there would be very few (if any) answers.

A £10,000 4 year old Skoda Superb is better than either but would probably not be to the OP's taste i.e. cheap and cheerful or fancy badge and unreliable.

If only.....

Simple fact, not many posters have Dacia's and even fewer have Jaguar XE's , non as far as I am aware have bothe to provide the OP with a really valued judgement. If only people who owned those car were permitted to answer the post there would be very few (if any) answers.

A £10,000 4 year old Skoda Superb is better than either but would probably not be to the OP's taste i.e. cheap and cheerful or fancy badge and unreliable.

Not 100% sure I'd agree. They both have good and bad points. The Superb is a good car but don't underestimate the XE. It too is a very good all rounder.

If only.....

Not 100% sure I'd agree. They both have good and bad points. The Superb is a good car but don't underestimate the XE. It too is a very good all rounder.

What about the Jaguars dreadful reliability, surely that is a bad point compared the the Skoda leading the executive car class table.

If only.....

What about the Jaguars dreadful reliability, surely that is a bad point compared the the Skoda leading the executive car class table.

Reliability doesn't always make a car good or bad but to be perfectly honest I think Jaguar gets rather unfairly treated. I don't find them any worse than any of the German stuff overall. Sure they have issues but let's not pretend BMW, Mercedes and yes VAG including Skoda don't have issues as well. Because they do.

I'm not a fan of Land Rovers but the Jaguar saloons can be fairly solid. I'm sometimes saddened by the lack of love for Jaguar here as in truth the XE, XF (both Mk 1 and 2) and XJ are all very good cars and very competitive with the equivalent German products.

And at least the Jaguar has a proper auto gearbox and not the DSG unit everyone here seems to hate in the Skoda. :)

(And I have no idea why anyone would want a manual version of either)

Secondhand Jaguar XE vs New 2021 Dacia Sandero - Luxury Secondhand vs New Small Car - brum

And at least the Jaguar has a proper auto gearbox and not the DSG unit everyone here seems to hate in the Skoda. :)

(And I have no idea why anyone would want a manual version of either)

In my case I chose a manual because of the bad reputation and reliability of the DSG, especially DQ200 meant I could be looking at several thousand pounds in repairs down the line. The car is intended to be my last 20 year ownership car. Never mind the driving characteristics, and lack of finesse in difficult slow speed manouevering/parking on hills. If it was a torque convertor style box I'd have far fewer qualms but automated clutch boxes of any description, no way.

One thing that is a big negative in my Skoda experience is my particular dealer service and attitude. Latest in a long line of incompetence experienced is the grossly overtightened (as evidenced from damage on returned sump plug captive steel washer) , possibly crossthreaded and now leaking oil so they bodged sump plug with extra washer on my Superb on advice of "Skoda technical", allegedly. And Skoda dealer regular servicing is now looking very expensive for what is basically only ever an oil and filter change with a quick look around to see if they can upsell a brake disc/pad change .

Frustrating, as wanting to keep warranty in tact, you are more or less forced to use a main dealer (yes I know, its possible, but my trusted independent says its very difficult to make claims once its been outside the dealer network for servicing and recommends to stay there for warranty period)

Of course, that may apply to any make/dealer, or other place. I have seen excellent and terrible work everywhere when it comes to car servicing and repairs. I could write a book on what I've seen and witnessed. Sadly but inevitably, the excellent is getting rarer

Driven more than a few DSG boxes over the years and never really liked them. The 6 speed wet clutch version was better than the 7 speed dry clutch but bot were annoyingly slow away for a standstill at times. Tried a Superb and a Passat back in October, both 1.5 TSi, both DSG, the Passt was better than the Skoda which was dreadful (it had only done 10 miles).

But the DGS on a iV is actually excellent. Incredibly smooth, no indecisions, best auto I have ever drive, its surprised me. hey have really made the power unit and gearbox work together incredibly well.

But the DGS on a iV is actually excellent. Incredibly smooth, no indecisions, best auto I have ever drive, its surprised me. hey have really made the power unit and gearbox work together incredibly well.

I am not an early adopter type, only time will tell if they are reliable, but then that doesnt corncern Skidpan as his will be gone by 3 or 4 years.

I've read of a handful of failures with 1.4tsi hybrid drivetrains used in the Golf, Passat and more. In almost every case, fixing involved factory involvement, some couldn't be fixed at a ll and a couple were quoted ridiculous repair/replacement cost £8000+ iirc.

It would be interesting to see what servicing costs are, the electric motor and dsg box share oil/cooling circuits I believe, what could possibly go wrong?

DAMN! Skidpan has got me talking about his Superb again!

I wonder what he'll buy next?

I am not an early adopter type, only time will tell if they are reliable, but then that doesnt corncern Skidpan as his will be gone by 3 or 4 years.

Hardly an early adopter, the Golf and Passat GTE's came out in about 2013 and were revised a couple of years ago, the only difference is a longer electric only range but the various cars using the power unit appear to have different total system power figures. The Superb iV was introduced at the same time and got revised trim for the 2021 MY. Ours is that car, manufactured August 2020.

Read of one incident to an early Superb iV where a dash light came on and when the dealer investigated it was gearbox oil pump failure, it seemed that since it had still been run the gearbox was trash. Amazingly the gearbox was replaced under warranty.

Make no apologies for changing every 3 or 4 years, its what I have on average since the late 70's (11 cars in 42 years) and retirement will mot make me vary that. Like I have said before, you load of scrooges who are too mean to buy a new car get a perfect, low mileage used one with a full dealer history at a good saving.

I promised myself I wouldn't reply to anymore Skidpan Superb clickbait, but the pull is just too strong

Read of one incident to an early Superb iV where a dash light came on and when the dealer investigated it was gearbox oil pump failure, it seemed that since it had still been run the gearbox was trash. Amazingly the gearbox was replaced under warranty.

What's amazing about that? It was under warranty, isn't that what a warranty is for? If VAG is too lazy or stupid not to inhibit their wonderful electronic gearbox when its oil pump fails thats just negligence by VAGs design team. Its amazing it could do anything without the geabox oil pump working. Its not the responsibility of the driver to be a VAG hybrid development engineer.

Make no apologies for changing every 3 or 4 years, its what I have on average since the late 70's (11 cars in 42 years) and retirement will mot make me vary that. Like I have said before, you load of scrooges who are too mean to buy a new car get a perfect, low mileage used one with a full dealer history at a good saving.

So really you're not qualified to talk about reliability of any of your recent purchases beyond that they can indeed last for their warranty period without breaking down. Quoting 3rd party sources such as reliability surveys is not very helpful as we all know they are flawed in many ways.

I am definitely a scrooge, but every car I buy is new, does that make me an oxymor*n?

Edited by brum on 05/04/2021 at 19:42

Secondhand Jaguar XE vs New 2021 Dacia Sandero - Luxury Secondhand vs New Small Car - Moodyman

Re the Skoda sump plug leaking...Skoda oil changes should follow a new sump plug each time. Reusing the same sump plug, will lead to minor gaps and oil leaks. The washer that comes with the plug is collapsible and one time use only.

Its one of the reasons, I will not buy another VAG product. If you're the sort of person who works on their own car, you will realise how much of a pain they are. What takes half hour on a Toyota can take half a day on VAG cars and often requires special tools. Where Toyota use nuts and Phillips screws, VAG love Torx bolts and rivets. Over engineered.

Edited by Moodyman on 05/04/2021 at 18:36

Re the Skoda sump plug leaking...Skoda oil changes should follow a new sump plug each time. Reusing the same sump plug, will lead to minor gaps and oil leaks. The washer that comes with the plug is collapsible and one time use only.

Its one of the reasons, I will not buy another VAG product. If you're the sort of person who works on their own car, you will realise how much of a pain they are. What takes half hour on a Toyota can take half a day on VAG cars and often requires special tools. Where Toyota use nuts and Phillips screws, VAG love Torx bolts and rivets. Over engineered.

You're a bit behind the times here. The sump plug depends on the type of sump fitted. Plastic sump, plastic plug with O ring. Steel sump in my case so standard steel plug with a captive steel washer. Tightened to 30Nm against machined face around sump drain hole

Collapsible washers, years ago they used a soft copper washer, aluminum crush washers are used on their aluminium sumps.

All one time use officially.

No special tool is required for my plug, a 19mm spanner or socket to undo, torque wrench to tighten. I can and have done it in seconds many times without any issue so what did my dealer do?

They do use new plugs each time and I always request return of the old plug hence my comment about overtightening damage, there should be none on a STEEL washer apart from the lightest compression mark at 30Nm.

Can't see any difference in difficulty or time between VAG and Toyota when it comes to an oil change.

Edited by brum on 05/04/2021 at 19:08

So really you're not qualified to talk about reliability of any of your recent purchases beyond that they can indeed last for their warranty period without breaking down.

I am allowed to talk about the reliability of newer cars on this forum, its not against the rules. Before you accuse me of something check a few facts. The previous moderator had new cars and posted about them and one of the current moderators has new cars and posts about them.

If people want to run old unreliable cars and try and get them fixed for free that is also within the rules.

Its not just a forum for old unreliable wrecks.

If you hadn't noticed the Honest John site reviews new cars they drive for a few days, my 3 to 4 years with one is far more relevent that that. Perhaps you should accuse their reviews of being pointless as well.

Please excuse brum, he’s not used to your “wisdom” yet. He doesn’t know that skoda surpassed Mercedes and every other premium brand in every aspect, including interiors and reliability.

Other than alfa romeo, are there cars that develop mentionable problems in the first 3 years/40000 miles? If not, maybe listen to others when they say you don’t know much about reliability. I’m talking “ISIS uses toyota and they keep running despite harsh conditions and no parts”, not “I exchange my car every 3 years and it’s been reliable so far” reliable...

Its not just a forum for old unreliable wrecks.

There was going to be a joke to be had here, but due to a lack of sense of humour on motoring forums (which maybe a long Covid thing) I decided not to post it, lest some take offence....there's wokeness in action for you.....

So, back on topic, if the OP is enlightened enough by all the diverse and off topic replies to make a decision, whats it going to be....?

New Sandero or Old Jaguar XE?

OP?

Still here......?

(probably not)

Secondhand Jaguar XE vs New 2021 Dacia Sandero - Luxury Secondhand vs New Small Car - Geoff Dude
Thank you for all the comments. I get the feeling that I might have crashed a Skoda Cult meeting. I have decided to not go ahead with changing my current car. With a future economic and housing crisis coming, I am going to hold onto my current Suzuki Celerio. I am very happy with it especially the 63mpg and was only thinking of changing through boredom and to gain a bit more space. I have done 50,000 miles in it and it’s only 3 years old so plenty of life left in her yet. Once again thanks to everyone who commented and I must say that although only a few people gave advice regarding the original question, I am now a pro on the subject of Skoda interiors and DSG gearboxes!
Secondhand Jaguar XE vs New 2021 Dacia Sandero - Luxury Secondhand vs New Small Car - Xileno

Thank you for returning to give a conclusion to the thread. It's always rewarding for those who have contributed.

Threads often drift, it's how discussions tend to go in real life, for example in a pub. As long as in the Motoring forum they stay motoring related then we are quite relaxed.

The Celerio should do many more miles yet, I know two people who run them including my neighbour. Fairly simple cars, just ensure the correct oil is used and changed on time to keep the camchain in a healthy state.

I am going to hold onto my current Suzuki Celerio.

If you had put in your first post what you drive we would have had a better idea what to say. We don't have crystal balls.

When the uncle wanted a new car nearly 2 years ago I shortlisted the Kia Picanto, Dacia Sandero and the Suzuki Celerio. All were about 8 grand brand new and perfect for his needs.

Got him a pre-reg Celerio for £6500, best buy at the time. Have to say the Sandero was disappointing for rear seat space considering the car was quite a bit bigger, the Celerio certainly has more space.

Celerio to a Jag, that would be a big step, possibly backwords.

If you had put in your first post what you drive we would have had a better idea what to say. We don't have crystal balls.

Is that relevant?. The OP was asking opinions on a new Sandero vs a 5 (or more) year old Jag XE, not sure why him having currently a Celerio would affect what he was told one way or the other.

Got him a pre-reg Celerio for £6500, best buy at the time. Have to say the Sandero was disappointing for rear seat space considering the car was quite a bit bigger, the Celerio certainly has more space.

I do have a soft spot for the Celerio and small Suzuki's in general, but I'm struggling to see, even with clever design, how the Celerio could have more rear seat space than the (old) Sandero given the latter has an extra 16.4cm between front and rear wheels, and being 13.3cm wider?. The wheelbase on the new car has grown a little (1.5cm), but the width has increased by a whopping 11.5cm over the old car, making it not far off a foot wider than the Celerio.

I do have a soft spot for the Celerio and small Suzuki's in general, but I'm struggling to see, even with clever design, how the Celerio could have more rear seat space than the (old) Sandero given the latter has an extra 16.4cm between front and rear wheels, and being 13.3cm wider?. The wheelbase on the new car has grown a little (1.5cm), but the width has increased by a whopping 11.5cm over the old car, making it not far off a foot wider than the Celerio.

It surprised us as well. The Sandero shares the floor pan of the older Clio/K12 Micra. We had 2 K12 Micras and they had good internal space and a decent boot, never looked at a Clio. In the Micra like the Celerio I (5'9") could sit behind a normal driver without my knees touching the back of the drivers seat. In the Sandero my knees were touching the seat, did not need a tape, there was less space. It salso true to say that the uncles 03 plate Fiesta had more rear seat space than either but it was was bigger than the Celerio but smaller than the Sandero externally.

Some companies are better at utilising space than others. When we bought a new car in 2010 we looked at the Focus Estate, good boot but poor rear space. Looked at the Ceed SW, physically the same size as the Focus but a bigger boot and more rear space, we bought one. probably the best balance of external size to internal space we have ever had. Move on 5 years and we went to see the newer model Ceed. Same size externally but a smaller boot and less rear seat space, must have employed the Focus designers. From the figures I have seen it appears that Kia have got the old designers back for the current model but not actually looked at one in the metal.

Secondhand Jaguar XE vs New 2021 Dacia Sandero - Luxury Secondhand vs New Small Car - John F

s that relevant?. The OP was asking opinions on a new Sandero vs a 5 (or more) year old Jag XE, not sure why him having currently a Celerio would affect what he was told one way or the other.

The OP's subject box also invited debate re luxury used vs. new small car. For his above average mileage that's a difficult one, and we don't know his capability re servicing and fixing things that go wrong. However, for many low milers like me it's a no brainer. Seven years ago I could have bought a new basic small VW Polo, but for the same price got an eight year old top of the range luxury Audi A8. The basic VW is probably now worth less than my Audi, and my 22,000 miles during those seven years have been much more enjoyable, even allowing for spending twice as much on fuel!.

Secondhand Jaguar XE vs New 2021 Dacia Sandero - Luxury Secondhand vs New Small Car - daveyK_UK
Go with the new Sandero

It’s vastly better than the previous Sandero

They have also increased noticeably the rear leg room

Extend the Dacia warranty to 5 or 7 years, get a spare wheel and consider a service plan

Then look forward to 5 years + of hassle free motoring

They have also increased noticeably the rear leg room

That was my point, they needed to, the car was not really competitive with newer models even if they were cheaper. No point buying cheap if people are not comfortable.

If it has been noticeably improved then it looks like a win win.

Secondhand Jaguar XE vs New 2021 Dacia Sandero - Luxury Secondhand vs New Small Car - daveyK_UK
Correct

The new Dacia Sandero has good rear leg room

Unlike the new Vauxhall Corsa which has considerably poor rear leg room, a significant reduction on the previous model Corsa