Land Rover finally admits it has an issue.. - Metropolis.
Taken from a Land Rover group I am in, will it work? Not sure, but the first step is admitting the problem!

“An interesting read. Slaes down 20% this year as they finally realise customers are moving away from JLR due to reliability and quality issues.

They also acknowledge designing in unnecessary complexity into the new defender which as we all know is going to be another reason JLR is bottom of every survey.

Hope they get there act together. We have all been screaming at them about this for years.

—-------------------------------------_--------------------------------

Speaking to investors, chief executive officer Thierry Bollore has finally acknowledged that quality and reliability issues are costing the company over 100,000 sales per year. “The dissatisfaction of our customers is detrimental to our volume,” said the head honcho as quoted by Automotive News.

Gee, what took you so long? Even when Ford owned Jaguar and Land Rover, they were consistently ranked at the bottom of reliability surveys in the United States, United Kingdom, and continental Europe. In the most recent J.D. Power survey for dependability, Jaguar made the list on third-from-last position, Alfa Romeo on the penultimate, and Land Rover dead last.

Jaguar Land Rover Highlights 2021
The bad rep can also be attributed to automotive vloggers. Doug DeMuro used to daily a Range Rover, and over six years, CarMax paid him an eye-watering $21,276 in claims for a $3,699 warranty. The Fast Lane also deserves to be mentioned because the four-cylinder turbo engine in their new Defender gave up the ghost after only 167 miles (269 kilometers).

Given these circumstances, are you surprised that sales are down 24 percent in 2020 versus the preceding year? Cars breaking down cost JLR a lot of money, the kind of money that makes or breaks the company’s credibility.

On the earnings call, chief creative officer Gerry McGovern reassured investors that “we are reducing the complexity of our vehicles massively.” That’s a curious way of addressing quality and reliability, more so if you remember that Land Rover has added unwanted complexity to the Defender by switching from a simple ladder frame to a unibody. Looking at the bigger picture, going electric to the detriment of ICE is the only way forward.”
Land Rover finally admits it has an issue.. - movilogo

I can't help wondering that, in this day and when scientists can operate vehicles in another planet from earth, why it is so damn hard to manufacture vehicles which don't break down.

Even more strangely, vehicles which are unreliable, have public perception of being better vehicles. Common public perceive JLR as better (= more desirable) than Toyota, for example

Land Rover finally admits it has an issue.. - chris87
This... it’s just wrong management. Whoever says building cars is complex in 2021, loat the plot or has a broken watch! It’s a basic thing on 4 wheels that transfers people and goods, nothing more.

If you can’t build an engine that will last at least 1 million kilometers without needing a rebuild, get out of this business!
Replying to my own thread here I know! But I have wondered for years, as a Land Rover buyer, why Land Rover couldnt seem to acknowledge that reliability sells, good customer service sells. Hence why Toyota continue to do so well in all markets. The old die-hards are holding on to the older models not because they are more reliable but because they are at least simple and adhere to traditional construction methods of body on frame and solid axles. A quick look at the American market where every Tom Dick and Harry wants a Wrangler, a Bronco or a Toyota 4-Runner, yet LR go where they really shouldnt, with a crossover using complex engineering to make it as capable as a discovery 2 ever was. The old faithful kept them in business but have been abandoned for fashionistas who believe it or not follow trends that change! the red chinese wont tolerate the faults for long just as the 90s Russian market didnt despite initial hype. Carry on as they are and they will have no friends left, I hope for the sake of the British car industry that this signals a change in direction at last.
Land Rover finally admits it has an issue.. - _

As a ((long time.ago) ex employee JLR were poor for reliability after the jag series 3, the range rovers, at least the early ones were not all that bad, but the XJ40 was in and out of our workshops constantly from new.

Nothing new then..

The only Jaguars and Range Rovers I drove were the demos, my bosses personal car when i asked to "borrow " it for a night out and some of our customers who we would collect and deliver cars even 150 kms away.

I can afford pretty well any of them now but wouldn't touch with a bargepole.

a couple of years back 3 that were being delivered by a local dealer nearby all had problems at handover to the customers. all could not be delivered.

Edited by _ORB_ on 10/03/2021 at 18:40

Land Rover finally admits it has an issue.. - Engineer Andy

I saw those YT videos of those new Landys breaking down'throwing out fault codes time and again. Isn't one of those US review channels on their third car? And the cost of the cars as well. No farmer is going to buy something like that any time soon. The Japanese makes must be loving this.

Talk about embarrassing for JLR.

Land Rover finally admits it has an issue.. - Steveieb

Except of course Clarkson who has new ones and keeps his 07 Range Rover, which has recently had a turbo refurb because he loves it so much.

And this is the sentiment of many JLR owners especially when they see the old Defender prices rocketing .

But quote unquote,

I did hear a tale that certain high profile punters were getting vehicles which had been gone over with a very very fine toothcomb,

Pure hearsay., of course

But come on, as said before, warning lights on 3 brand new cars..

I hate to think of the costs when an infotainment cum dash board cum navigation system goes clunk out of warranty.

That'll be OOOOOuch quid sir or madam

Land Rover finally admits it has an issue.. - RT

But quote unquote,

I did hear a tale that certain high profile punters were getting vehicles which had been gone over with a very very fine toothcomb,

Pure hearsay., of course

I hate to think of the costs when an infotainment cum dash board cum navigation system goes clunk out of warranty.

Certainly in the Austin-Rover days, they had a complete department, Press Operations, which would carefully run-in new cars, deal with any issues and then remove all squeeks/rattles with additional soundproof pads - clebrities used to get cars from this pool.

I love nuggets of information like this, super cool. I wonder if the same thing goes on now? Easier in an analogue age to run in the car in like that than now I suspect.
Land Rover finally admits it has an issue.. - Xileno

As Bollore came from Renault (although he wasn't there for long), maybe he's the person to sort the problems out. Afterall, Renault have pulled their socks up, from often being towards the bottom of the surveys for cars soon after the turn of the Century to a much more satisfactory position in the last decade or so.

I don't think it's the complexity of JLR products that's the problem. Are they more complex than some of the German competitors? Many of the components are bought in from other companies, I suspect it's more how those components are incorporated.

There's me seriously considering an Evoque PHEV...maybe the problems are sorted.

Land Rover finally admits it has an issue.. - RT
I love nuggets of information like this, super cool. I wonder if the same thing goes on now? Easier in an analogue age to run in the car in like that than now I suspect.

I imagine that all makers have always done this, and still do.

Land Rover finally admits it has an issue.. - Engineer Andy

To a degree. If I recall, remember when the new 1.5TSI engine from VAG came out and all that hoo-har about 'kangerooing?

The press test day for it (in a Golf, I think) in some hot country (Spain?) said it was fine, but apparently word got out that the VW engineering team had temporarily modified the test car(s) so that the effect was missing (odd why it took them several months after to produce a permanent fix).

But quote unquote,

Pure hearsay., of course

Certainly in the Austin-Rover days, they had a complete department, Press Operations, which would carefully run-in new cars, deal with any issues and then remove all squeeks/rattles with additional soundproof pads - clebrities used to get cars from this pool.

Certainly in Switzerland ALL the cars went through a process called "Swissfinish" by the Importer>

I still remember the stickers on the cars.

Edited by _ORB_ on 10/03/2021 at 20:24

Land Rover finally admits it has an issue.. - edlithgow

On the earnings call, chief creative officer Gerry McGovern reassured investors that “we are reducing the complexity of our vehicles massively.” That’s a curious way of addressing quality and reliability,

No it isn't. Complexity deters thoughtful buyers (especially off-roaders, which must still form an influential part of the potential customer base) for this reason, but it'd be more appropriate as a guiding principle at the design stage. Limited, difficult, expensive and wasteful once in production.

more so if you remember that Land Rover has added unwanted complexity to the Defender by switching from a simple ladder frame to a unibody.”

Uh?

. A ladder frame with a separate body is probably more complex than a unibody, (more bits,with relative movement, y'know?), monocoque has been standard for cars long long before CAD was available, and I havn't heard any reports that the Defender body has been failing.

OTOH the Toyota Tacoma, (sounds like an obscure skin cancer, perhaps a tribute to The Great Outdoors Lifestyle?) which is trad body-on-frame, has developed a reputation for frame breakage.

Land Rover finally admits it has an issue.. - Oli rag
I remember an article in autocar a couple of years ago, where the Landrover head of design Gerry McGovern? was very sneery about the Lexus Rx450,

He said that you could tell that Lexus had done the engineering before the styling. I think Landrover should maybe hire a senior Toyota engineer to help with the oily bits.
Land Rover finally admits it has an issue.. - daveyK_UK
Never had an interest in Land Rover precisely because of the unreliability.

Too many common issues

I have been wondering about the ingenium engines

From the jlr owners forums they seem to be a bit like marmite.

Opinions on a postcard please.

ORB I am not sure about the ingenium, on the one hand I am glad to see engine design go native again. I just hope they prioritised the right aspects like durability but I doubt it. That said it is the first Land Rover engine since the td5 and that was actually a good engine.
The previous Ford/PSA v6 diesels were smooth but time bombs with snapped cranks leaving customers with £20k new engine bills snd approved used warranty didnt cover it. Good riddance to that one, hopefully the inline 6 ingenium will do better.
Land Rover finally admits it has an issue.. - Sulphur Man

Yes and no..... Clarkson, in Top Gear days, wrote his column in the TG magazine about how he was chopping in his Range Rover after three years, due to too many electrical issues, He bemoaned how a £70K plus product can be so unsatisfactory.

He was willing to put into print the reality of RR ownership. He loves them still, but he's not delusional.

The new Defender is a disaster. Setting aside the predictable build and reliability concers, any vehicle launch that has it's entire diesel engine replaced after just 6 months on sale has clearly had a troubled birth.

Factor in the poor emissions and economy, the questionable pricing and target market, and the very fussy styling - its not looking good.

Were the new Defender proving a success, they wouldn't be peddling a V8 model (£90K!) after less than 18 months on sale. It's crisis-management there I'd say - at least theyre starting to admit it.

Land Rover finally admits it has an issue.. - nick62

From what understand on the Evoque, it wasn't the engine, but the DPF which has given all the problems on the mk1 body with the Ingenium diesel engine. There was not enough room to fit it the correct distance from the exhaust manifold. Someone should have been shot for allowing that to go into production.

Land Rover finally admits it has an issue.. - Xileno

Agreed and it's why I'm hoping the 1.5 PHEV will be ok.

Agreed and it's why I'm hoping the 1.5 PHEV will be ok.

Don't rush in and buy an early one, given their previous record.

Land Rover finally admits it has an issue.. - mcb100
A quick tale from a few years ago. I was in a LR workshop doing some work with the technicians, when one mentioned that Defender was embargoed for sale at that point. It was probably 12 months before if went out of production.
Someone at head office had noticed that if they used a slightly lesser quality bolt in the rear hubs, they could save the company 4p a year, or similar ludicrous figure. So they did, and discovered that the bolts then sheared in use.
This was a vehicle that had been in production for decades, but cost cutting was attempted right at the end of its production life.
I’m wondering whether this is a small example of attempting to cut costs to the bone, leading to reliability and longevity issues throughout the company.
Land Rover finally admits it has an issue.. - pd

Cranks snapping on the V6 diesel is certainly not unknown but it is not, for example, as common as some other engine disasters such as BMW timing chains, VW oil pumps or VW piston rings.

It is difficult to tell how common it is. On one hand it is a known fault any dealer will be familiar with, on the other I've seen many an XF on 200k on the original engine going fine and a quick check on numbers show there are more early XFs even with the supposedly even less reliable 2.7 engine still bumbling around as a proportion of those sold than some competitors.

Land Rover finally admits it has an issue.. - madf

Read this and see how incompetent LR design is:

www.roverworks.com.au/news/timing-belt-services-ho.../