Omega Automatic Transmission - GaryJ
Dear All
Hope you can help because I don't really trust Vauxhall dealers! I've got a 1999 Omega 2.0 CDX Automatic estate. I've had it about 6 months and love the car but......... on the digital readout the words "automatic transmission" have appeared twice in the last two days. I've been able to drive the car still albeit at lower speeds and taking things easy. As soon as possible I've stopped, put the gearbox in Park, switched the engine off, then restarted the engine selected drive and the display returns to normal. I've looked in the owner's manuall and, as I suspected, it states that there is a fault and to take the vehicleto a dealer.
What I would like to know is :
1) any idea what the fault could be? Does it need a service? A change of auto oil? A top-up of auto oil? A (heaven forbid!) new gearbox?
2) What are the likely fees charged at the dealer for a diagnostic check?
3) Can anybody recommend a good dealer within reasonable distance to Cardiff? Or a good mechanic also within reasonable distance to Cardiff?
Thanks for your time and any help you may be able to offer, all will be gratefully received,
Gary Johnson
Omega Automatic Transmission - philcook
Have you checked the oil level
Omega Automatic Transmission - Dynamic Dave
Phil, unfortunately the Omega autobox doesn't have a dipstick or level plug to check the oil level.
Omega Automatic Transmission - Phil I
From HJ Directories ( on l/h side of this page) you will find a link to Federation of Auto Transmission Engineers website. You'll find the nearest member to you will give you excellent advice and if necessary good service at a reasonable cost.

usual disclaimer no personal interest in FETA - only grateful customer experience.

Phil I
Omega Automatic Transmission - Dynamic Dave
1) any idea what the fault could be?

More than likely it's the selector switch on top of the gearbox, especially if the fault occurs when moving the gearstick.
2) What are the likely fees charged at the dealer for
a diagnostic check?

I had one done two years ago on my previous Cavalier and was charged approx £11. I would be surprised if it was any more than £15 to £20.

For more info, www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=i&t=11...3