Permanently illuminated amber lights on the front. - Lrac

I have noticed that some Land Rover/ Range Rover vehicles now have a permanently illuminated amber light above the head light. Presumably there is a reason for this that is way beyond my level of comprehension. Could anyone explain the reason for this "innovation"?

Sitting at a round about during day light there was a land Rover visible on my right hand side, I could not see the front or drivers side of this car so it would be very easy to mistake this for an indication of the drivers intent to turn left , as it was they drove straight over. I could see the light was not flashing so did not assume it was indicating but I wonder if these lights are also the indicators?

Permanently illuminated amber lights on the front. - brum

I thought that use of light colour on cars was strictly regulated. Its certainly checked at the MOT.

Can't see amber light as being legal for anything but indicators and hazard beacons on things like breakdown trucks.

Permanently illuminated amber lights on the front. - Sofa Spud

I saw a car the other day with both amber front lights on - just an ordinary hatchback, can't remember what.

Most probably either a short circuit, possibly due to damp, or someone has messed the wiring up.

Alternatively, the Land Rover you saw might have been North American spec, in which case the sidelights would be amber. After looking on Google, I see it's currently a 'thing' with boy racers to have amber US style sidelights.

Not as bad as the car I saw a while ago coming towards me with RED headlights at dusk - the lights had red perspex covers on and made the headlights look like tail lights. Can't see any safety implications there, can you? !!!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 08/03/2021 at 14:04

Permanently illuminated amber lights on the front. - skidpan

Broken will be the answer, it is a Land Rover/Range Rover after all.

Permanently illuminated amber lights on the front. - Lrac

I have noticed this twice now in locations about 20 miles apart.. I did wonder if it was a North America thing. If i owned one I wouldn't want it incorporated into the head lamp