Vw golf 1.4 tsi 2018 - Tyres - Bluesriff7

I have got 17 inch alloys with Bridgestone 225/45/75 tyres. Factory fitted,

Only done 17000 miles, just passed mot but they advised changing front tyres ,

cracks were the issue.

I find the bridgestones give a hard ride, which make of tyre would give a softer

ride.

Edited by Bluesriff7 on 07/03/2021 at 22:15

Vw golf 1.4 tsi 2018 - Tyres - skidpan

I have got 17 inch alloys with Bridgestone 225/45/75 tyres. Factory fitted,

Only done 17000 miles, just passed mot but they advised changing front tyres ,

cracks were the issue.

I find the bridgestones give a hard ride, which make of tyre would give a softer

ride.

Its not the tyre brand, all 45 profile tyres give a hard ride but sometimes they suit some cars more than others.

We had a Kia on 225 45 17 Michelins and it was hard but just OK. Fitted winter tyres, 205 55 16 aand the ride was much better despite the tyres being XL rated.

On the other hand the wifes Fabia has 215 45 16 tyres (Bridgestones) and the ride is perfectly acceptable which surprised us after the experience with the Kia.

What pressures are you running?

Vw golf 1.4 tsi 2018 - Tyres - Bluesriff7

Pressure is 2.1 bar, on the tyre pressure label on the car it gives the option of 2.1 bar or

2.4 bar.

Vw golf 1.4 tsi 2018 - Tyres - sammy1

I cannot imagine that so called cracks in 3 year old tyres would cause you to change them immediately. Talk to the tyre fitter re changing to 55 profile tyres. you will need 4 as the car will look odd if you only change fronts so you may as well wait until all 4 need renewing. If your car is still in warranty might be worth having a word with the dealer?

Talk to the tyre fitter re changing to 55 profile tyres.

If the OP did that he would need to change the wheels to 16" ones to maintain the correct rolling circumference and drop the width to 205. He would also need to inform his insurers, they may say OK, they may say not.

Vw golf 1.4 tsi 2018 - Tyres - mcb100
I’ve no idea where they are in the overall scale of soft rides, but whenever I go from Winter (Nokian) to Summer (Pirelli), exactly the same size, load, speed, etc, the Pirellis ride more smoothly than the winter Nokians.
I’d expected the winter tyres to be of a softer construction to aid traction, but not the case.
I’d expected the winter tyres to be of a softer construction to aid traction, but not the case.

Many winter tyres are XL rated (Extra Load), our Nokians were. They rode fine on our car.

Vw golf 1.4 tsi 2018 - Tyres - mcb100
So are the Pirellis. It’s not a huge difference, and not noticeable after the first few miles. Just the initial reaction to swapping them over.
Vw golf 1.4 tsi 2018 - Tyres - jp2021

If this is an advisory on the MOT with small cracks between the treads ( rather than the side walls ) this seems to be very common. Keep an eye on the tyres and /or ask an honest tyre fitter for an opinion. They may not change before the tyres wear out ,