Ford Puna - Puncture repair. - veloceman
Here we have the tail of a simple puncture.
T’other half has a new Ford Puma.
She setting off for work at 8:30 noticed NSR rear tyre flat. Of course no spare or jack.
Large screw in edge of tread.
Tried compressor to inflate tyre till she could find a tyre shop. Wouldn’t inflate so being as though tyre looked a right off, told her to use the can of foam. That didn’t work also. Called breakdown service who temp repaired tyre. Only 1 tyre shop in Hull who stocked correct size/type tyre.
So at 2pm still waiting in queue in tyre shop.
Ultimately it’s taken 5 hrs to sort a simple puncture when it would take 10mins to put a spare on.
Absolutely ridiculous.

Ford Puna - Puncture repair. - skidpan

That's why we always buy a spare. People who say "use your breakdown cover" do not realise that they simply do not magically appear at a moments notice and sort the car (especially when you are out in the sticks on a Sunday afternoon).

Ford Puna - Puncture repair. - veloceman
Yes me too. Prob is the Puma has a so called ‘clever’ storage box where the spare would be.
Ford Puna - Puncture repair. - Lee Power
Yes me too. Prob is the Puma has a so called ‘clever’ storage box where the spare would be.

The MegaBox - I'd rather have the spare wheel & tool kit.

Ford Puna - Puncture repair. - _

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154147190581

sparewheel kit on fleabay

Ford Puna - Puncture repair. - Alby Back
The space for a spare wheel well in my Merc is taken up by the AdBlue tank. Got caught out by a nasty puncture in central Paris a couple of years ago. The solution was inconvenient, time consuming and very expensive.
Ford Puma - Puncture repair. - Xileno

It's one of my deal requirements, a proper spare wheel. In my Focus it does mean the boot floor isn't level but I can live with that inconvenience. Also when I come to sell the car, I may get a few Pounds for it on an auction site.

Edited by Xileno on 02/03/2021 at 15:21

Ford Puma - Puncture repair. - badbusdriver

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154147190581

sparewheel kit on fleabay

But because of the 'MegaBox', there isn't anywhere to keep it other than in the boot along with whatever else you've got in there. Which means you'd have to put the full sized (dirty) one in there.

Ford Puma - Puncture repair. - Andrew-T

Also when I come to sell the car, I may get a few Pounds for it on an auction site.

The car ? :-)

Ford Puma - Puncture repair. - Xileno

It's turned fourteen so probably not worth much more!

I was on the cusp of changing my car when all this lockdown started a year ago. I feel like a treat, maybe one of the Evoques with the 1.5 petrol/ electric setup or one of the new Meganes.

Ford Puma - Puncture repair. - elekie&a/c doctor
Another great move by car makers to create a problem that wasn’t there previously. No way would I drive a car unless it had some kind of spare wheel . Just bought one for my Vitara .
Ford Puma - Puncture repair. - sammy1

I cannot understand why runflats are not more widely available, yes they are more expensive but a lot more practical in most circumstances.

Ford Puma - Puncture repair. - skidpan

I cannot understand why runflats are not more widely available, yes they are more expensive but a lot more practical in most circumstances.

Runflats only work if its a simple puncture like a nail. If the sidewall is damaged or you carry on driving the tyre is scrap and you still need a new tyre. Not very practical then especially when very few tyre retailers stock them.

Not very practical then especially when very few tyre retailers stock them.

How do you know this? Have you shopped for them? Runflats are designed to do just that run for some 50miles and are NOT rare. If the sidewall is damaged then ALL tyres are scrap.

Ford Puma - Puncture repair. - RT

How do you know this? Have you shopped for them? Runflats are designed to do just that run for some 50miles and are NOT rare. If the sidewall is damaged then ALL tyres are scrap.

Any tyre with a sidewall split will leave you stranded by the side of the road unless you have a spare

Any tyre with a sidewall split will leave you stranded by the side of the road unless you have a spare

Runflats are designed with reinforced sidewalls and even if you have a blowout at speed the tyre is designed to stay on the rim. They are in most circumstances a lot safer than other tyres

Ford Puma - Puncture repair. - skidpan

How do I know this? we had 2 cars with run flats and having spoken to local tyre places no kept run flats in stock. Even the BMW dealer had to order them in. Not much use are they in the North of Scotland on a wet Sunday afternoon 50+ miles from the nearest big city. With a wrecked sidewall the range is actually zero miles.

With a spare you could complete the journey and sort the next morning.

Ford Puna - Puncture repair. - Will deBeast

THere isn't space for a spare in my mx-5. But I still bought a used wheel on ebay and had the tyre place fit one of the OK tyres when I bought a new set.

If I have a puncture, it might be at home. Or close enough that the other half can bring the spare wheel out to me.

Ford Puna - Puncture repair. - Andrew-T

If I have a puncture, it might be at home. Or close enough that the other half can bring the spare wheel out to me.

Or of course it may not. Apart from slow loss of pressure caused by gradual bead corrosion, the last true puncture I can recall was about 10 years ago. You can always make a choice about whether to allow for a very unlikely event. Which is probably one reason why car makers have given up providing spare wheels.

Ford Puna - Puncture repair. - jc2
The last puncture that I had was on a Christmas Eve afternoon-luckily I had a spare.Try getting a puncture repaired at that time.I was lucky-the 6th. tyre depot was still open.