Diesels don't have chokes - do they?? - Rob the Bus {P}
I may have mentioned once or twice that I am now the proud owner of a 1989 Golf GTD 1.6, which is proving against all odds to be quite a good car (he says touching all available bits of wood).

One thing puzzles me though. In the traditional place (ie where HF hangs her handbag) there is very definitely a choke-type thingy which - if you'll pardon the expression - pulls in and out. The previous owner swears blind that the car starts better with it out, but I can't notice any difference. What could this odd thing be?

Cheers

Rob
"Bucket o'lard"
Diesels don't have chokes - do they?? - Wee Willie Winkie
It is a choke - the bloke at the garage said so. Just forgot to tell you, thanks for the reminder.
Diesels don't have chokes - do they?? - David Lacey
It's a manual injection timing advance lever.......not really much use in our 'warm' climates - it's only used in very very cold weather to aid cold starting.

All other Diesel pumps do it automatically - why VW fitted it as a manual lever I'll never know!
Diesels don't have chokes - do they?? - Clanger
A diesel with a choke. Now I've heard everything.

H.

Diesels don't have chokes - do they?? - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Only in the last couple of days have I been able to start my Diesel T4 without the cold start advance, but it still runs as rough as a badgers ~~~~ for a few seconds! I'd rather have a lever to pull out than another wretched 'automatic' thing to go wrong!
Andrew

Simplicate and add lightness!
Diesels don't have chokes - do they?? - sean
Andrew,

Don't let anyone else know about your VW problem.

VWs don't have any problems, they're wonderful.

However, if I were you, I'd check each of your 4 glowplugs, matey.

Bet you a pound to a penny that at least one is now a deceased plug, if you know what I mean.

Only other thing would be air leaks into the fuel system.

It's NOT that, trust me.
Hello Rob,
Hope you are happy, where you are now.
Please remember that I have gone out on a limb in support of VWs. Don't you let me down as yours is only just run-in at 13 years old. I mean that, my old Passat, at 257,000 miles and 8 years still had it's honing marks on the block when I looked.

Now then, a diesel has average compression of 18 to 1 vs 10 to 1 in a petrol. Finely atomised fuel burns in excess air, so no need for choke.

Glow plugs warm atomising site in winter, but that's it.

The old GTD was indirect injection, vs direct in modern units.
Inject into a pre-chamber, ignition (no spark) then into main cylinder.

VW thought they could promote even easier combustion by altering injection timing. that's all it was.
BTW, your engine is much quieter than my TDi at start up, for just this reason.

Keep in touch, mate.
Diesels don't have chokes - do they?? - David Lacey
Andrew - Surely there must be something wrong with your T4 if it won't start without the advance lever out?
Sean

Thanks for your good wishes - they are much appreciated.

Well, well, well. A diesel with a choke - who'd have thought it? As one poster said: "Now I've seen everything"

I have to admit that it was your warm recommendation that steered me in the direction of this machine and so far, your enthusiasm has been well founded. The car is quiet and virtually vibration free from cold, and the little turbo whistle is a delight to hear. It drives very well indeed, my only criticism being the heavy steering and somewhat lifeless throttle - lubrication needed perhaps?

I'd be glad to keep in touch, Sean. My e-mail is wobblybob1 "at" hotmail "dot" com. There is rumour of a Back Room get together shortly in Londinium - any chance you could make it?

DieselBoy - I remain in awe of your incredible powers of memory. If only mine was that good... ;-) Do you and M fancy a weekend in Kent soon?

Cheers

Rob
"Bucket o'lard"
By the way, many thanks to the rest of you for your words of advice. I've said it before and no doubt I'll say it again, but the BR is an invaluable resource that should never be allowed to wane.

Cheers

Rob
"Bucket o'lard"
Hi Rob,

Yes, I'd love to come and meet you, and the rest of us.

I'm no fool. I'm not as daft as I appear to be. (Couldn't possibly be, teehee.)

I passionately believe in VWs because I worked in their factories. I've seen people die, taking on big projects, and treating them as their own.

I've seen Stan, at GSF carparts, weep, when he sourced cheaper parts for all of us, yet the BBC said he was selling counterfeits. If you had a 15 year old Merc, and someone nicked the bonnet badge would you spend £98 on a Merc one, or £11 on one of Stan's?

It will take you a couple of years to learn what I learned. It took me 15, but I'm not as bright.

I fell for the "would you buy a Fiat" hook. Badly. I'm upset.

For advice, mate, change your fluids. Oil, coolant, brake fluid. All that.

Then read what folks are spending.

This is a very good forum. Mark, RLBS (what is that?) helped me today and I now thoroughly respect him.

If i mentioned red diesel at 29p per litre, I bet he'd pull this. We'll see. Also Asda cooking oil. Illegal. Don't do it, but VW thought of that and yes, 50mpg on it.
Sean,

I have a feeling that shortly we will be asked to take this to e-mail, so please do mail me on the address I gave above and we will sort this meet out.

You sound like a very interesting person, not to mention a good bloke to have on my side ;-)

Cheers

Rob
"Bucket o'lard"
Diesels don't have chokes - do they?? - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
No there is nothing wrong with my T4! In this weather the glow light doesnt come on and it will start without the advance but it starts and idles smoother with it out. A couple of months ago when the third glowplug failed there was no way it would start even though it was not that cold.
Just an old design engine with an old design system. Works a treat!!
Andrew

Simplicate and add lightness!
Diesels don't have chokes - do they?? - borasport20
Rob

i'm changing the Bora for an Octavia TDI on friday. When I took it for a test drive, there was no choke - do you think i'm being done ;-)

I have to grow old - but I don't have to grow up