Portable SatNav - borasport20
I have a friend who\'s just got a summer job as an agency delivery driver (delivering cars to and from garages all over the country)

He\'s seen other drivers at the agency using sat-nav systems that swap from car to car and plug in to the cig lighter, and is wanting to know what\'s available and where from

I have no idea, so if anybody has any recommendations, please let me know

ta

I have to grow old - but I don\'t have to grow up
Portable SatNav - Soupytwist
I think that this may be what you\'re looking for.

tinyurl.com/gz57

I have no idea what this website is like but someone recommended it to me on Saturday.
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
I think that this may be what you\'re looking for.
tinyurl.com/gz57
I have no idea what this website is like but someone
recommended it to me on Saturday.
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.

Matthew - thanks for the speed response

I don\'t know if its to do with the speed issues on HJ at the moment, but every time i click on your link I get \'page not available\' - can you post the original link ?

ta

I have to grow old - but I don\'t have to grow up
Portable SatNav - Mark (RLBS)
Matthew's link was this;

www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod692.html?OrdIDEnc=235c0...9
Mark - I've just tried your explicit link three times and still got 'page not found'

???

Portable SatNav - corblimeyguvnar
www.pocketgps.co.uk/

should work

Drink Lager Talk Piffle
for great info go to www.pocketgps.co.uk, this will give you all you need, feel free to drop them a line too, they are exceptionally helpful.
and no i dont work for them

Drink Lager Talk Piffle
Portable SatNav - bugged {P}
compaq i pac palm top pc including sat nav £949 Model 3850

Garmin sat nav £299

www.garmin.com

Also check out Dixons.co.uk although they\'re expensive they have quite a good range!

Portable SatNav - bugged {P}
sorry moderators, we are trying to be good but the system is a pink fluffy dice! Im sure i only hit that button once!!!

We are trying our best to be patient!!!

Sorry for the extra work this must be causing you as well!!!
Portable SatNav - Archie35
Back to the original question, it depends on what you want from the satnav. I have a Garmin etrex that I bought in the States for about £80, plus a bit more for a power lead (in the UK they were a bit over £100). It is small (mobile phone sized - easily fits in a pocket), simple to use, a gives me all the info I need. But it does not have maps in it if that is what you want; I don't and just use it if I get lost and want to work out where I am (just make sure that your road map has a proper grid system on it - many (most?) don't). One can pay much more money for a bells and whistles job, with built in maps, links to Palm organisers etc. The question is, do you need all the extra functionality? If not, get an etrex (they used to be, and probably still are, the cheapest and smallest on the market).
"Archie"
As he recently found himself driving round the less salubrious parts of one of Britains northern cities late in the evening in a brand new sports car whilst looking for a delivery point, what he wants is a box he can take from car to car, plug in, tell it where he wants to go and it will say 'turn left at next junction'

What he also wants, as the job is only for another couple of months, is for it to be very cheap to buy and run...

I have to grow old - but I don't have to grow up
Portable SatNav - No Do$h
As suggested above, try the pocketgps site. Very helpful. One of the basic Garmin set ups would do the trick, but if you can buy it from a site in the US and pray that HM Customs and Excise don't spot it.... Much cheaper!

I have an Ipaq 3970 with the Kane Car Pilot set up, all told about £900 notes, but then I needed a palmtop so it made sense. Another alternative would be the TomTom set from Dixons (about £200) plus a basic palmtop. You can get an ACER palm with darn near the performance of the 3970 for about £200. Not quite up the Kane set in my experience, but will certainly do the job, and there are plenty of free software add-ons, like a speed camera register, knocking around for the TomTom
Portable SatNav - A11DNL
Another one to consider:

www.destinator1.com/index.emb
David
X-Type 3-litre Sport
Just to confuse, Kane Car Pilot uses the Destinator 2 software with a few bits of its own.
Seems Autoexpress are doing a review of satnav this week. Haven't read it yet, but may be worth the pennies.