Peugeot 406 2.1TD - cholin
I have the possibility of buying one of the above, P reg, 60k on clock. I friend said "You can forget diy repairs on that". True?
Peugeot 406 2.1TD - Vansboy
Depends on what you were expecting to go wrong!Ordinary servicing, easy enough, BUT....

A few other quustions should spring to mind..
60,000 mls on a P plate, ESPECIALLY diesel, seems verrrrrrrry low!

How many owners?

How many were taxi drivers?

How complete is the service history?

Best check out HJ's 'how to buy' section!!

Keep us posted.

VB
Peugeot 406 2.1TD - David Lacey
They're not too bad to work on, space is a bit cramped in the engine bay but DIY servicing is feasible, I'd say.
The cambelt is not as easy to change as it is on the 8 valve XUD engine, mind! Definately make sure that has been or gets changed ASAP.
Thankyou David.

Vansboy.
Has full service history. Know the owner very well, utterly trustworthy. Cambelt changed recently, new cat. (Wasn't aware 'til this that diesels had them). Just waiting to hear the price. Being OAP and used to repairing the usual bangers I indulge in it is important that I economise on repairs 'tho should I buy it I think I should continue to keep up the regular professional 6000 mile servicing.
Peugeot 406 2.1TD - MichaelR
I've looked into these and from what I can see your friend is right up to a point. The 2.1TD is a very big engine, and only just fits into the engine bay of the 406 (and the Xantia). This makes repair work very difficult, and some things which are straightforward in the 1.9TD require the engine to come out in the 2.1TD.
So I bought it and am very pleased but . . .over to technical problems!