Parking Sensors - Problems - dh2344
I had recently had Steelmate rear parking sensors fitted to my VW Bora. Whilst it is effective most of the time it is also extremely sensitive, sometimes beeping for no apparent reason when in reverse. The shop/ fitter explained that uneven surfaces can effect the sensor , even a curb can trigger it! ( albeit only briefly). Another scenario is if I am reversing up a hill the sensor seems to detect the road! again beeping only briefly. Is this typical of parking sensors? Can the sensitivity be adjusted. I haven't paid the fitter yet because in my opinion this is not satisfactory so it isn't a huge problem but slighty annoying.

Regards

David
Parking Sensors - Problems - Aprilia
I have fitted a set of Autosonic 'Backminder' sensors to my car. These are good quality (UK made) and came out well in the Autoexpress group test on reversing sensors.

Bascially I suffer the same problems as you do. The Autosonics sensors can be 'swivelled' slightly in their holders (i.e. light an 'eyeball vent') so it is possible to angle them up slightly which helps a bit with false triggering. However, at the end of the day kerbs, long grass etc. will give a refelection. If the car is angled toward the road (backing uphill, or down a sloping driveway onto the road) then, again, you will get a signal. Autosonics have produced a technical 'troubleshooting' guide on this problem (pdf) and if you give me your e-mail address I can mail it to you.

I have learned to 'interpret' the signal from mine and can use it to help back into a space. I agree they are not perfect though. Is there any way in which you can angle your sensors up a bit?
Parking Sensors - Problems - Altea Ego
Drove a SAAB for some weeks with sensors fitted, and yes you get false positives. Grass and weeds was favourite on that one. Its one of these things you get a feel for with use.
Parking Sensors - Problems - Hugo {P}
Try this handy guide:

"Beep beep beep" - Indicates false reading

"Beep Beep BANG/SHATTER/CRUNCH" - Indicates true and accurate reading!

I much prefer using any available reflection in a shop window or such like.

H
Parking Sensors - Problems - CM
Mine were factory fitted and came with the car. Never have any problems with false beeps when reversing uphill nor with undulations in the road. Sounds a bit fishy to me!

Grass (if it is long enough) is bound to set it off as it is done with radar. The only problem I find with mine is that it takes a second or so to react so the secret is not to do fast reverses when you aren't sure what's behind (not that you would)

It is also not infallible as it doesn't always pick things up that are just offset from behind the car.

Parking Sensors - Problems - Aprilia
Think about it. Backing down my drive at an angle to the road - the road is going to look like an object within the sensors range. Similarly an undulation is going to give a reflection. You could make the system less sensitive, but then there is the risk of it not responding to weak reflections for narrow objects like metal posts!