The best Small & Midsize SUV to buy at the moment? - Rodney Monington
Hello I am thinking of buying a new Small or Midsize SUV either through pcp or leasing. Which do you recommend is the best Small or Midsize vehicle going at the moment. For style, reliability, Fuel economy, comfort & safety features.
The best Small & Midsize SUV to buy at the moment? - skidpan

Small or midsize, that can be a big difference, what do you want the car to do?

Style, what is OK to you might be a munter to others.

Reliability, avoid anything by Land Rover and you should be OK.

Economy, depends on the engine size, fuel type, trips you do etc.

Comfort, try before you buy.

Safety, most cars are very safe now, look at NCAP.

But how much do you have to spend?

The best Small & Midsize SUV to buy at the moment? - badbusdriver

Are you actually buying?, or do you plan to lease?. For either, we'd need a budget.

As for style, beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder, personally I think the majority of SUV's look awful, so you really need to decide for yourself what you like the look of.

Comfort is also a personal thing, different folk have different needs, and while some folk find the seats in one car comfortable, others might not.

Reliability, well if buying (or leasing) new, there shouldn't be too much to worry about on any car as it will have a warranty of at least three years.

Fuel economy?, that is going to depend on exactly what you are after. If you have off street parking and spend a lot of time in urban areas, a plug in hybrid or EV is going probably to work out cheapest. A 'non plug' in hybrid would probably be next cheapest to run for urban areas, followed by petrol. But if you spend a lot of time on the road, a petrol or, if you can get, diesel might work out cheaper.

Pretty much all modern SUV's, big and small, score very well in Euro Ncap crash tests. Only the budget makes don't do so well (Dacia, Ssangyong, MG and the like).

The best Small & Midsize SUV to buy at the moment? - Engineer Andy

Apologies if I'm off base here, but I'm getting a spam vibe from the OP's first post. The repetitive use of the phrase 'Small or Midsize' and vagueness of the request just looks sus to me.

The best Small & Midsize SUV to buy at the moment? - RT

Apologies if I'm off base here, but I'm getting a spam vibe from the OP's first post. The repetitive use of the phrase 'Small or Midsize' and vagueness of the request just looks sus to me.

I share that vibe when I read it.

The best Small & Midsize SUV to buy at the moment? - Metropolis.
How dare you both suggest this poster of sound social standing and who posted in good faith might be a spammer about to sell us penis products, I would never do such a thing (-:
Ps: for all we know he could have been member of the forum for over a year which would make it impossible for him to be a spammer..

Edited by Metropolis. on 05/02/2021 at 19:08

I have just joined this website because I needed some advice. I’m doing a pcp deal with putting a deposit of 2,000 down and willing to pay whatever. I only wanted your suggestions on a suv vehicle either a small one or a midsize one like a Kuga which I own.
I have just joined this website because I needed some advice. I’m doing a pcp deal with putting a deposit of 2,000 down and willing to pay whatever. I only wanted your suggestions on a suv vehicle either a small one or a midsize one like a Kuga which I own.

OK, so it is a lease deal, but in order to make some meaningful suggestions, you need to give us more info.

How much miles do you cover?, how are those miles/journeys split between urban and motorways/dual carriageways?, auto or manual?, do you have off street parking?

The best Small & Midsize SUV to buy at the moment? - 72 dudes

You will get multiple opinions on here, so here are mine based on the current crop of motoring magazine favourites

Small: Seat Aroma, Ford Puma, Skoda Kamiq

Medium: Peugeot 3008, Mazda CX5 (not diesel although less critical if you don't purchase it outright), Skoda Karoq, Seat Ateca, VW Tiguan, new Hyundai Tucson.

Medium premium: Volvo XC40, Audi Q3, BMW X1, new Mercedes GLA

Edited by 72 dudes on 05/02/2021 at 20:43

I’m looking to do 8,000 miles a year. We won’t be going on the motorway as much, driving town to town really on dual carriageways and country roads. Probably the furthest would be 20 miles traveling. I would be looking for manual & don’t have off street parking
The best Small & Midsize SUV to buy at the moment? - SLO76

No idea where the spam suggestion came from, I certainly didn’t detect any suggestion of it. The only reason why I haven’t offered any suggestions is because my area of expertise is used cars. With new metal there’s little risk. Work out a budget, read a few new car reviews find a few you like then go for a few test drives then hunt online for the best deal then call nearby dealers to see if any will match it. I personally rather like the latest petrol Mazda CX SUV’s but then I’ve an eye on them as I expect them to make excellent used options in a few years time. I hate buying new or paying a monthly lease on a car I’ll never own but I do understand why so many do it.
The best Small & Midsize SUV to buy at the moment? - csgmart

VW T-Cross / VW T-Roc.

The best Small & Midsize SUV to buy at the moment? - elekie&a/c doctor
I’m surprised nobody has yet suggested the Suzuki Vitara . HJ’s car of the year 2019 .

Good shout. Hard to fault them really, unless Suzuki is not premium enough. A step up would be the Suzuki Across, bit more premium so i'm told.

The best Small & Midsize SUV to buy at the moment? - Avant

The Suzuki Across at the moment is only available as a PHEV, and at a ridiculously inflated price of over £45,000. It's the same car as the forthcoming Toyota RAV-4 PHEV, also overpriced, certainly for private buyers.

But the Vitara is good value and well worth a look.

Best to hang on until you can get test drives again: you also need to work out how much you're prapared to pay per month on a PCP.

The best Small & Midsize SUV to buy at the moment? - brum

As expected, a lot of very obtuse random noise from the usual resident backroom crowd.some of whom still don't realise that PCP and Leasing are two very different things indeed.

Just a piece of advice to the OP (and others) who suggests he's going to buy via PCP, you may be fully aware as to what you are getting into, but I still recommend you read this article carefully and understand its message which is likely to become increasly important in the severe recession that is very likely to start very soon.

www.thecarexpert.co.uk/car-finance-top-10-pcp-myth.../

"Obtuse", (I believe) means stupid, slow to understand, or deliberately insensitive. Which of these are we being accused of?.

"The usual resident backroom crowd" don't need to know the difference between PCP and leasing unless they are being asked specifically what the difference is, or being asked which is the best option between the two. Neither of which is the case here.

Leasing or PCP is not something I have ever seriously considered, so I have not looked into the ins and outs between the two. However, from my point of view, both options entail paying a deposit, then monthly payments, then handing the car back, or, in the case of PCP (and I believe this very rarely ever happens) making a large (balloon) payment to then (and only then) own the car.

The OP says he is taking the car on PCP, and I am working on the assumption he knows what this entails and can afford both the deposit (already covered, £2k) and the monthly payments. Beyond that, it is of no concern to me whether it is a lease or PCP, it is entirely up to the OP how he finances his next car.

The best Small & Midsize SUV to buy at the moment? - daveyjp

As OP is renting I'd decide my priority : reliability, mpg or safety features - set a budget and use a broker to find which SUV is cheapest on a three year deal.

The best Small & Midsize SUV to buy at the moment? - madf

If you are buying an SUV for road use, then buy on looks alone.

So Vauxhall Mokka.

All the rest are fugly

If butying for performace, a Subaru XT.

If buying for offroad?: A Land Rover (they are rubbish but you can't afford a dedent Toyota for £8k)

Amazing the difference in forum reaction when it is suggested this post was spam, vs when I did it and was heavily censored, and several other members of the forum had some kind of adverse reaciton. weird.

The best Small & Midsize SUV to buy at the moment? - _

Amazing the difference in forum reaction when it is suggested this post was spam, vs when I did it and was heavily censored, and several other members of the forum had some kind of adverse reaciton. weird.

I have refrained from joining in for a few days, but..

Many people who come on really don't have much idea of what is needed as information to make a sensible choice. If in doubt, be courteous until proved otherwise, because that is why they are asking.

So the first question should be, Budget, usage, mileage approx area of the country (to ascertain if UK) and manual/automatic.

Simple really.

One thing for the OP, don't believe the salesman when he gives you a "balloon payment figure" and do the pcp for the shortest possible time and the biggest deposit you can make. also be realistic within 1000 miles of your usage, Do not give a low figure if the sales bod pushes you to. You'll regret it later.

Edited by _ORB_ on 06/02/2021 at 16:33

The best Small & Midsize SUV to buy at the moment? - up north

The Dacia Duster is all you need when you look at the price. The Top Gear review scores it 9/10...A proper TG hero. 'Seriously over-delivers on the underpromising price...'

Worth a look.