Changed To An Automatic Gearbox - Advice Required. - John-218

Hi all,

I've just bought my first car with an automatic gearbox and would like some basic advice from some of you that have automatic experience.

From what I've read already, there's a difference of opinion with regards to the correct use of the N (neutral) and D (drive) gears.

Should the neutral gear be used when waiting at traffic lights, or should you just leave it in drive all the time ?

So far I've been keeping the car in the drive mode, but after driving an manual car for many years I have the urge to use the neutral mode especially if it's a longish wait at the lights.

Any advice would be appreciated.

John

Changed To An Automatic Gearbox - Advice Required. - dan86

Just leave it in drive you wont be doing any damage to anything, my advice with autos is to always use the hand break as one it will seize up if you don't and 2 you can damage the parking pawl if you leave it in park only

Changed To An Automatic Gearbox - Advice Required. - badbusdriver

Depends on whether it is an automated manual (like VW's DSG) or a torque converter (T/C) auto. If it is the former, definitely slip it in neutral waiting at the lights otherwise you can knacker the clutch pack prematurely. In a T/C auto, leaving it in D and holding it on the brake, shouldn't cause any problems, but I'd still slip it in neutral if only to prevent the glare from the brake lights on the car behind!.

Changed To An Automatic Gearbox - Advice Required. - sammy1

I have had cars with both a DSG and the Torque converter and find them both very good. If I am stuck stationary with both I tend to slip into Park rather than neutral, is just the way I do it .If moving queue I tend to leave it in drive. I would not get to caught up in the notion you are harming the box, this is what they are designed for. I have never had a problem with any auto. One tip until you get used to the automatic is to keep your left leg well away as it is easy to forget and go for the non existent clutch and hit the brake hard!

Changed To An Automatic Gearbox - Advice Required. - movilogo

I follow same rule for all cars. If stationery for more than few seconds, the move to N.

D when moving only.

P when parked and getting out of car. Never shift to P in traffic because if car behind hit your car even at slow speed it can damage transmission. Hence N in traffic light + handbrake as appropriate.

If my foot is off the brake and not in accelerator, then N with/out handbrake.

Changed To An Automatic Gearbox - Advice Required. - daveyjp

First port of call is the manual. Every auto I have had has advised to use 'N' for extended stops.

Depending on the car and its age you may find stop start only works if the car is in 'D' and held on the footbrake.

Changed To An Automatic Gearbox - Advice Required. - Metropolis.

Badbusdriver I used to think the same as you, but then i drove a Golf R DSG and it had the autohold feature, which I found immensely frustrating to use (prefer creep) but it disengages the clutch and holds the brake for you from the moment you stop, so you can sit there all day in D in a DSG. No need to go to N in those situations. Perhaps specifically to counter this problem?

In a conventional automatic, I am of the opinion that unless the stop is longer than 2 minutes, I won't take it out of D. Any longer and the transmission temperature will likely rise, but any shorter and you are creating additional wear by switching in and out of D.

My car is old, so I don't believe I am blinding the driver behind with those rear lights on new cars that wouldn't look out of place in a brothel!.

Changed To An Automatic Gearbox - Advice Required. - John-218

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice and all your replies and they're very much appreciated.

The car in question is a vauxhall mokka. I did look at the handbook but advice is given with regards to this particular matter.

When I take it in for a service at the vauxhall garage in a few months time I'll see what they have to say. Until then I will probably leave it in drive unless I'm stood in traffic for a while.

Your help has been valuable.

Regards

John.

Changed To An Automatic Gearbox - Advice Required. - RT

Hi guys,

The car in question is a vauxhall mokka. I did look at the handbook but advice is given with regards to this particular matter.

When I take it in for a service at the vauxhall garage in a few months time I'll see what they have to say. Until then I will probably leave it in drive unless I'm stood in traffic for a while.

Regards

John.

My 2000 Astra 1.8 automatic had "Neutral Select" which selected Neutral as soon as the car stopped with foot on brake pedal - letting the brake off re-engaged Drive ready to move away.

The Mokka has a T/C auto, so shouldn't cause any problems.

I'd still put it in neutral though, if I know I'll be stationary for a while, just as a matter of course. As well as what I said earlier about the glare from the brake lights on the car behind, there is also a possibility that your foot might slip off the brake pedal.

Changed To An Automatic Gearbox - Advice Required. - nellyjak

Agree.....I've been driving TC auto boxes for over 50 years and if I'm stationary for just a few seconds or so, then I'll stay in D..any longer and I will go to N..if it's a slight gradient then I'll employ the parking brake too...as much to stop the brake light glare as you say.

Changed To An Automatic Gearbox - Advice Required. - John F

Agree.....I've been driving TC auto boxes for over 50 years and if I'm stationary for just a few seconds or so, then I'll stay in D..any longer and I will go to N..if it's a slight gradient then I'll employ the parking brake too...as much to stop the brake light glare as you say.

Same here, albeit only 30yrs. Moving to N also saves fuel as the TC box is always trying to 'creep' against the brake, needlessly dispelling energy into the transmission fluid.

There is also a fuel saving to be had by snicking into N to coast down hills and when slowing well in advance for a junction. The handbook always says never do this, but American drivers have used the 'pulse' or 'ride and glide' technique for decades, and it has never harmed any of our autoboxes.

Another tip, when parking on a hill make sure you put the handbrake on before putting into 'P'. Otherwise it strains and might possibly weaken the pin that locks the transmission, which will convey its displeasure with a metallic 'clung' when you select D. Otherwise, if on fairly level ground don't bother with the handbrake at all (unless in P in traffic as advised above) when parked - no point in wearing it unnecessarily.

Changed To An Automatic Gearbox - Advice Required. - mcb100
I don’t use N to coast, but take it out of D when stopped as a 2.7 diesel is producing a reasonable amount of torque even at tickover, enough to force the back of the car down on its springs.
Changed To An Automatic Gearbox - Advice Required. - Engineer Andy

Hi guys,

Regards

John.

If you need any manufacturer's advice sooner, just phone or email them - a reputable dealer should be able and happy to answer your questions if you want more reassurance.

Changed To An Automatic Gearbox - Advice Required. - Andrew-T

I am not a driver of autos so I accept the valuable knowledge of my colleagues here. Might I only suggest that while you get accustomed to the change from a manual car, you consider the possibilities of the unexpected ?

For example, I doubt that what you choose to do during a short stop will cause much damage to any box. But if you stay in D there is a tiny chance that you are startled by something and hit the Go pedal. If in N or P nothing should happen.

Changed To An Automatic Gearbox - Advice Required. - barney100

I always go into N when stopped but SWMBO keeps in D. I have a box with paddle shifts but rarely use them and kick down is seldom employed but worth getting to know about. Basically put it in D and forget it....you can join the L foot braking debate now it's great fun!

Changed To An Automatic Gearbox - Advice Required. - edlithgow

Engineering Explained : 5 things you should never do

In an automatic

https://www.youtube.com/watch/6zzEtxJkC7Y

I do 2 of them. Coasting in neutral (sometimes) and shifting into neutral when stopped (often)

And in a manual

https://www.youtube.com/watch/_cbZlhduYJY

I don’t THINK I do any of these, but he doesn’t mention coasting in neutral in a manual, (which I do routinely) which seems a bit odd.

Maybe that’s SUCH a bad habit that no one else does it, though I’m unclear why it would be less so in an auto.

Surprised the trad HJ one-or-two-foot thing hasn't come up.

I've been doing 2-foot in the Honda, but I had to force myself, because i'd driven one-footed in my previous automatic.

Edited by edlithgow on 04/02/2021 at 10:27

Changed To An Automatic Gearbox - Advice Required. - Alby Back
I'm not sure whether it's a good habit or a bad habit or just a habit, but I brake with either foot in an auto. Generally speaking, but by no means exclusively, I tend to left foot brake when close manouvering and right foot brake when just bowling along.

It's no more difficult or counter intuitive than steering with either hand ( refers to my habit comments for that too ! )

Nigh on 2 million miles and 45 years into it and I've still not managed to hit anything with any of my cars yet, despite it all, so it must work for me I guess. Watch this space I suppose!

Others should probably do what works for them, driving isn't really all that difficult is it?

Just look at some of the people who have a licence to confirm that suspicion. It can't be.

;-)
Just look at some of the people who have a licence to confirm that suspicion. It can't be. ;-)

Don't look at me. I don't have one.

Well, not a Taiwanese one anyway.

My VW Touareg, which uses a conventional torque converter automatic has a "coast" facility which selects neutral when you lift off the throttle - it's meant to save fuel but I've no evidence that it does and the lack if engine braking is unnerving so I leave it turned off.

Changed To An Automatic Gearbox - Advice Required. - veloceman
I only recently started driving an Auto.
Alfa Giulia has 8sp ZF TC gearbox.
Always put in neutral when stopped at lights,
I worry about TC gearbox oil overheating when stopped in drive.
Don’t know if that can actually happen but that’s what I do!
Also I can select drive or neutral but pulling back on both or one steering wheel paddle so it’s not a chore at all. Also gearbox selects neutral when coasting.
Deep down I think I still prefer a manual!
Changed To An Automatic Gearbox - Advice Required. - movilogo

If you always shift to N when stopped, then you don't have to remember what to do in what car, irrespective of whether it is manual, DCT/DSG auto, TC auto, CVT auto etc.

If you always shift to N when stopped, then you don't have to remember what to do in what car, irrespective of whether it is manual, DCT/DSG auto, TC auto, CVT auto etc.

That is a good point, and I suppose a good reason to avoid 2-foot driving in an automatic. I recently re-trained myself to 2-foot, because I think it makes more sense ,considered in isolation, BUT now I'm back in a manual and maybe it didn't.

If I get the Honda going again I think I'll go back to 1-foot.

Toujours la change.

Changed To An Automatic Gearbox - Advice Required. - corax

dan86 - my advice with autos is to always use the hand break as it will seize up if you don't

John F - if on fairly level ground don't bother with the handbrake at all (unless in P in traffic as advised above) when parked - no point in wearing it unnecessarily.

OK.

John-218 can do a bit of each to keep both sides happy.

Personally, I have never worn out a hand brake. My 17 year old Avensis had a new handbrake cable fitted early in it's life due to corrosion.

Pet peeve: People who pull the handbrake on without using the button, so it screeches over the ratchet. That means just about everyone on the planet annoys me, to the extent of actually mentioning it if I'm lending them my car.

Since my cars are nearly always bangers, this comes across as especially anal, but its MY RATCHET.

I dunno if a handbrake has ever been broken by this habit but I'd guess probably not.

A neighbor had a SAAB (99) that I coveted, partly because it had a selectable freewheel in the manual gearbox. He didn’t use the freewheel, which seemed a waste of good machinery to me, since I don’t do engine braking much.

I understand these were a carry over from when SAAB used 2-stroke engines which could be wrecked by engine braking on the overrun.

He had some problem with the handbrake and scrapped the car. By the time I found out it was too late. Waste of good machinery, which was probably already a classic even then.

Nice to know that freewheels are making a limited comeback,

Changed To An Automatic Gearbox - Advice Required. - BPL

Hi all,

I've just bought my first car with an automatic gearbox and would like some basic advice from some of you that have automatic experience.

From what I've read already, there's a difference of opinion with regards to the correct use of the N (neutral) and D (drive) gears.

Should the neutral gear be used when waiting at traffic lights, or should you just leave it in drive all the time ?

So far I've been keeping the car in the drive mode, but after driving an manual car for many years I have the urge to use the neutral mode especially if it's a longish wait at the lights.

Any advice would be appreciated.

John

Anyone know what you must do in these respects to pass your auto box driving test...?

Changed To An Automatic Gearbox - Advice Required. - blindspot

i concur with all above

either neutral or D ok on test . just as long as the car is under control

torq coverters. don't want to be over heated over 30 c in the city or towing

consider using your left foot sometimes.

don't drag start to often

Changed To An Automatic Gearbox - Advice Required. - skidpan

On the Superb iV even if its in Hybrid mode the petrol engine stops long before the car comes to a halt at lights or junctions every time so far (except at the top of the road on a very cold morning). The car moves away using the electric motor unless you ask for extra power and the battery is low when the petrol kicks in just after moving off. As far as I am aware there is no power being delivered by the electric motor until you actually touch the throttle thus there is no stress being placed on the transmission.

So unless we are totally stationary for ages (such as we were when they closed the M1 a couple of weeks ago) we leave it in D.

Changed To An Automatic Gearbox - Advice Required. - Ian_SW

Does the engine re-start if you put it into neutral?

That seemed to be a particularly silly feature of DSG Leon hire car I had a couple of years ago. As the car came to a stop, the engine turned off, but then turned back on as soon as I put it into Neutral and put the (manual) handbrake on. This seemed to be the exact opposite of how it should have been set up!!

As far as the OPs question goes, yes I'd drop it into neutral if stopped for a long enough amount of time to want to put the handbrake on.

One thing I wouldn't do is put it into Park every time I stop at the lights. A good friend is adamant this is how automatic gearboxes should be used, despite him accidentally selecting reverse afterwards on more than one occasion!! He is absolutely insistent that Neutral is for towing only and will damage the gearbox if used with the engine on. I've given up trying to point out the obvious that N is right next to D on the selector because they expect you to shift between these two more regularly than to P which is right at one end past reverse....

Changed To An Automatic Gearbox - Advice Required. - expat

I have never heard of that as a problem here in Australia and it regularly gets into the 40s in summer. I did fit a transmission oil cooler not for overheating but to stop the "milkshake" problem where the transmission cooler is plumbed through a section of the radiator. This often leads to radiator leaks which contaminate the transmission fluid with coolant. This kills the transmission. The cheap answer to this is to fit an external transmission cooler which is separate from the radiator. This is also a good idea if you are towing a caravan.

80% of cars here in Australia are automatic transmission and everyone leaves it in D when stopped at the lights. No one gets dazzled. I can only assume that peoples eyes are more sensitive in the UK.

Changed To An Automatic Gearbox - Advice Required. - dan86

80% of cars here in Australia are automatic transmission and everyone leaves it in D when stopped at the lights. No one gets dazzled. I can only assume that peoples eyes are more sensitive in the UK.

No just generally more sensitive in general and not happy unless moaning about something

TBH, it is not really a problem in daylight, particularly bright or sunny days. But, it is very much a problem in dark/dull/wet conditions, which presumably are conditions more common to the UK than Australia. However it is also going to be a big problem for older folk who's eyes are not in the condition they once were and are much more sensitive to light glare. This is going to be the same wherever in the world you are, so maybe what is actually going on is that OZ drivers are too inconsiderate to care about whoever is behind them?.

Though I also don't believe for a minute that you know for a fact that all OZ drivers leave it in park with their foot on the brake, and know for a fact that no one gets dazzled sitting behind another car.

Does the engine re-start if you put it into neutral?

No.

Though I also don't believe for a minute that you know for a fact that all OZ drivers leave it in park with their foot on the brake, and know for a fact that no one gets dazzled sitting behind another car.

Expat never said what I have quoted. What he actually said was:

"80% of cars here in Australia are automatic transmission and everyone leaves it in D when stopped at the lights"

Never mentioned park or foot brake.

I have never heard of that as a problem here in Australia and it regularly gets into the 40s in summer. I did fit a transmission oil cooler not for overheating but to stop the "milkshake" problem where the transmission cooler is plumbed through a section of the radiator. This often leads to radiator leaks which contaminate the transmission fluid with coolant. This kills the transmission. The cheap answer to this is to fit an external transmission cooler which is separate from the radiator. This is also a good idea if you are towing a caravan.

Many car makers fit different cooling equipment to suit the varying climates around the world - I would expect ANY car sold in Australia to be adequately fitted, a situation not replicated in the UK.

Expat never said what I have quoted. What he actually said was:

"80% of cars here in Australia are automatic transmission and everyone leaves it in D when stopped at the lights"

Never mentioned park or foot brake.

Maybe, but why on earth would anyone leave it in drive if they are putting the handbrake on?. And he does go on to say, "No one gets dazzled", which would be a pointless thing to say (along with UK drivers having more sensitive eyes), if the car isn't being held on the footbrake.

And even claiming to know what 80% of the Australian driving population are doing while waiting at traffic lights is an absurd thing to say. I don't know where in Australia he resides, but if it were Sydney, not only is it inconceivable for him to know that all of Sydney's (auto) drivers leave it in drive while stationary, but how would he know what Perth's drivers are doing 4000km away?.

Edited by badbusdriver on 05/02/2021 at 09:26

Changed To An Automatic Gearbox - Advice Required. - Metropolis.
BBD, he said 80% of cars in Australia are automatic, not that 80% have a habit of leaving it in D.
Not sure why his useful contribution is being so critically assessed, it is useful feedback from a hot climate. Australia is a large country with a small population, it is not beyond the bounds of reason that he would have travelled to other Australian cities..,
The adding of an external oil cooler is an excellent tip, mayonnaise is a huge problem where the oem routes the gearbox cooler pipes through the radiatior (cheap skates!). A lot of American cars will come with optional tow packages which usually include different gear ratios but importantly additional transmission cooling

BBD, he said 80% of cars in Australia are automatic, not that 80% have a habit of leaving it in D. Not sure why his useful contribution is being so critically assessed, it is useful feedback from a hot climate. Australia is a large country with a small population, it is not beyond the bounds of reason that he would have travelled to other Australian cities..,

Yes, he says 80% of cars in Australia are auto, which is fair enough, it is easy enough to find out info like that. What I have a problem with is that he says all of those drivers leave the transmission in D while stationary, and no one behind gets dazzled. If you are quite happy to accept these claims as fact, that is up to you. But personally, I can't see how he could possibly make anything other than a rough guess for the former, and can't see how he could even make a guess to the latter.

And yes, Australia may have a small population in relation to its size, but that is still 25 million, give or take.

Changed To An Automatic Gearbox - Advice Required. - sammy1

I strongly suspect that a very large percentage of drivers in the UK leave their autos in D. There are a very large percentage of the perhaps the younger population who haven't a clue about the mechanics of a car and probably just as many who don't care.

As to the aspect of dazzle, a lot of manual drivers will also leave their foot on the brake. Yes it may not be very nice in the rain at night but if it were a real problem there might be more fisticuffs on the road as to the driver creating the dazzle

Maybe, but why on earth would anyone leave it in drive if they are putting the handbrake on?

Lets move forward into the 21st century, many cars have auto handbrakes. My manual Superb had one, the auto Superb has one. No need to do anything, come to a halt using the brakes and its applied by magic.

Maybe, but why on earth would anyone leave it in drive if they are putting the handbrake on?

Lets move forward into the 21st century,

No thanks

Changed To An Automatic Gearbox - Advice Required. - oldgit

I'm thinking of perhaps getting a new Ford Focus with TQ box and have to confess that their Rotary gear selection knob was/is the Bee's knees but on reflection is this so? Something that works for and aft would be more intuitive wrt to what position is currently selected though I realise there's always an indication on the instrument panel.

Surely one would perhaps have to look at the rotary knob more often than a 'usual' gear lever selector?

Am I over analysing this?

Yes, you are over analysing it!.

It wouldn't take long at all to become used to it, but as you are not changing gear with it, it isn't going to be an issue. Just turn the knob to D when you set off, then forget about it till you need to stop, or reverse.

I haven't used such a control myself, but when I started driving buses, there were a variety of different gear selectors on the auto, or semi-auto buses. From a 'traditional' auto gear stick like you'd find in a car, to the button selector on the coaches, to the weird miniature metal gate on the ancient Leyland 'deckers we used on school runs.

Changed To An Automatic Gearbox - Advice Required. - John F

Lets move forward into the 21st century, many cars have auto handbrakes.....the auto Superb has one. No need to do anything, come to a halt using the brakes and its applied by magic.

Apologies for thread drift, but this is the first time I have heard of an EPB being programmed to work every time the car comes to a halt. Can this function be disabled? If not, I wonder how long the EPB will last before wear and tear needs expensive repair?

Changed To An Automatic Gearbox - Advice Required. - 72 dudes

Lets move forward into the 21st century, many cars have auto handbrakes.....the auto Superb has one. No need to do anything, come to a halt using the brakes and its applied by magic.

Apologies for thread drift, but this is the first time I have heard of an EPB being programmed to work every time the car comes to a halt. Can this function be disabled? If not, I wonder how long the EPB will last before wear and tear needs expensive repair?

Yes, thankfully. There's also auto-hold which is a sort of halfway house, applying the handbrake more softly at lights, junctions etc.

Both stay selected as Off in our XC40 and I tend to release the the EPB manually to avoid the slight lurch when setting off.

I suspect that others with mechanical sympathy like myself have mastered the tickling of the accelerator to release the brakes without applying power.

Changed To An Automatic Gearbox - Advice Required. - Avant

EPBs come on and off automatically on VAG cars when the car stops (provided the A button for auto-hold is switched on, which it is by default). Very useful - although I agree they could be another thing to go wrong as the car gets older.

Having been against them (what's wrong with the good old mechanical handbrake?) and dislkied the EPN on my Volvo V60, I'm quite used to them on the Audis. The Volvo EPB didn't come on automatically, it came off, as with 72 dudes' XC40, with a jerk, and some tortured Swedish genius had elected to design the V60 with the EPB switch down by the driver's right knee.

The auto function does not need disabling since its up to the user to decide if they wish to use it or not. When you have it enabled it works seamlessly, we love it on the current Superb iV just as we did on the previous Superb. When you come to a halt at lights, junction etc the system simply hold hydraulic pressure without the need to keep your foot on the brake pedal. Once you start to move it releases. When you turn off the engine or open the drivers door the handbrake is applied mechanically, it releases automatically once you start to move.

My one caveat is when you are parking or manoeuvring in tight spaces in the iV. I then prefer to have it turned off allowing you to use the auto creep, in the manual Superb I never found it to be an issue.

The Volvo EPB didn't come on automatically, it came off, as with 72 dudes' XC40, with a jerk, and some tortured Swedish genius had elected to design the V60 with the EPB switch down by the driver's right knee.

Totally agree could not understand the logic and until we drove the Superb we did not want such a system, VAG managed to convert us with their much better implementation.

But lets not single out Volvo, the Avensis we tried back in 2010 had an equally daft syste, with the only difference being the location of the button, in the Avensis its down w=by the drivers left knee.

But both Toyota and Volvo seemed to have coppied VAG in their newer cars. The current V60 has the buttons on the console and the latest RAV4 also has the buttons on the console. Problem I found with the RAV4 was the need to tell the car every time I started it I wanted the auto handbrake to actually work and getting it to do that need a firm and long press on the button, it nearly caught me out a couple of time but that was probably because I am familiar with the VAG set up rather than a fault.

Edited by skidpan on 06/02/2021 at 16:57

Changed To An Automatic Gearbox - Advice Required. - oldgit

It's a fantastic system of my Manual Golf MK7. I only ever fiddle with the handbrake lever if I want to run back a few yards on my sloping drive (won't go into details as to why). I just touch the foot brake pedal and press the lever down and the car will then run away until I apply the footbrake again.

I cannot imagine now owning a car without Auto hold and EPB.

I hope that my next car, a Ford Focus operates in a similar manner even though it will be an automatic.