ford cmx/ Xsara PIcasso/ Other mpv - Dilemna between cars... - Arz64

HI everyone,

I am so thankful for this website, been using it a lot to check on cars, mpg, etc.

I need to find a new car (key worker without a car now...Worst time ever!!!)

This is what I want:

Higher seating position (hence me wanting an MPV, just got rid of my 4x4 which was guzzling fuel)

Automatic

Reliable

Good mpg

Max 3000/3500 pounds

I don't do much miles, 8000 max a year so petrol would be best I think.

My choices, after doing some research online seem to be:

CMax or Xsara Picasso or Megan Scenic (possibly a model 3) (although I am weary of the fuel consumption of older models)

Definitely no C4 Picasso due to the faulty auto gearbox

I have seen a few cmax (2006-2009) but there seems to be a problem with the suspension arms, a "disease" that costs 500 pounds to repair. The CF3 gearboxes are prone to failure but seems to not have been fitted to 2L petrol models.

Xsara Picasso (2006-2007) seem to not have big faults

Scenic, I'm just afraid of the fuel consumption as mentionned previously, although there is one Scenic Model 3 with very low mileage too... don't know about them at all...

Would someone be able to give me their thoughts on the matter?

Thanks everyone, have a good day.

ford cmx/ Xsara PIcasso/ Other mpv - Dilemna between cars... - Bromptonaut

Driven a couple of Xsara Picassos as courtesy cars and I think we test drove one as a prospective purchase c2005. Most are diesels, the 2.0 HDi unit is a pretty solid piece of kit and pre dates DPF etc.

Nice to drive and ride in, tons of space in the back, 3 full size seats.

The Berlingo on similar underpinnings is another possible shout though I'm not sure there was an automatic version.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 03/02/2021 at 13:18

ford cmx/ Xsara PIcasso/ Other mpv - Dilemna between cars... - badbusdriver

For £3.5k you can't be choosy, and you certainly can't set your expectations too high when it comes to either reliability or fuel consumption. You are going to be looking at cars more than 10 years old, so repairs are inevitable. As for mpg, put simply, if you want the best possible mpg for a high riding petrol engined car at that price, you will have to forget about the auto. You will be doing well to find anything the size of a Picasso/Scenic/C-Max which will average more than 30mpg, its just not going to happen with that type of car.

Edited by badbusdriver on 03/02/2021 at 13:44

ford cmx/ Xsara PIcasso/ Other mpv - Dilemna between cars... - Alby Back
Back of an envelope calculation only, but the fuel cost difference between a vehicle that does 30mpg and one that does 40mpg over 8000 miles a year is about 82p a day.

Can't even get a Greggs sausage roll for that now.

;-)
ford cmx/ Xsara PIcasso/ Other mpv - Dilemna between cars... - nellyjak

For £3.5k you can't be choosy, and you certainly can't set your expectations too high when it comes to either reliability or fuel consumption. You are going to be looking at cars more than 10 years old, so repairs are inevitable. As for mpg, put simply, if you want the best possible mpg for a high riding petrol engined car at that price, you will have to forget about the auto. You will be doing well to find anything the size of a Picasso/Scenic/C-Max which will average more than 30mpg, its just not going to happen with that type of car.

Agree...the OP's wish list doesn't sit easily with the budget...risky business at that level, particularly if reliability is key

ford cmx/ Xsara PIcasso/ Other mpv - Dilemna between cars... - SLO76
With that budget in mind and a need for economy and a high seating position I think you’re going to struggle here to combine it with reliability. Do you absolutely need a high riding car? I’d advise trying out the likes of a Honda Civic (avoid the I-shift) a Honda Accord,Toyota Avensis, Mazda 3/6 or possibly a Toyota Verso but the latter will cost at least £1,000 more than you want to spend. I’d also avoid diesels at this money as they’ll save you nothing in the long term thanks to the higher repair cost and frequency.

Avoid anything fitted with Fords Powershift gearbox, VAG’s DSG box, Honda’ I-shift and certain MMT Toyotas such as the MK II Auris and some Yaris models. These gearboxes are either unreliable or awful to use. I’d avoid automated manuals in some lower powered Citroen and Peugeot models too.
ford cmx/ Xsara PIcasso/ Other mpv - Dilemna between cars... - Avant

Toyota have made the Verso for 20 years or so, so there must be some within this budget surely? Most will probably be diesels but that Toyota 2.0 diesel was a good one I think.

ford cmx/ Xsara PIcasso/ Other mpv - Dilemna between cars... - pd

I don't think there are many auto Versos about (certainly not diesel) and if they are they are either the MMT (not as bad as some but not a fan myself) and the regular petrol autos eat fuel.

Most cars of this era will be diesels because that is what people were buying at the time.

I may be wrong but although the 1.6 diesel C4s came with the rather horrible gearbox did they ever do a 2.0 litre auto? If so it would probably have had a conventional 6-speed Aisin auto. That is certainly what PSA were using with the 2,0 engine in all other models at the time.

Same with Renault I think - the 1.5dci used a DSG type thing but their 2.0 diesels used a regular auto.

It was originally badged Corolla Verso, not many of them on Autotrader under £3.5k, but there are 10 starting at £1390 for a privately owned 2003 car. There is one Verso, a 178k mile 2013 example(!)

But at this price point, nobody will be travelling far to see a car, so it will really depend on what is available within the OP's area.

Depending on just how much space is needed, I'd also be looking at the Ford Fusion 1.6 (avoid the 1.4 auto, it is an automated manual) and the Nissan Note. Both of these are supermini based, so a bit smaller than a Picasso (both have a higher seating position) but still with a spacious cabin (particularly the Note with its sliding rear seat) and decent sized boot.

Not everybody's cup of tea...but let me throw in the Kia Soul

eg...www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-Kia-Soul-1-6-2-5dr/1643585...9

More manuals than autos I'm sure...but......

Edited by nellyjak on 03/02/2021 at 18:45

Thanks everyone for your input.

I have my eyes on a 2007 Cmax, 50 000 miles 2175 pounds and a Scenic 3, 2010, 37000 miles 3000 pounds. Both auto.

I have also a Xsara Picasso, 2L 58 000 miles at 1350.

I do need the higher seat position yes. When I say reliable, I am thinking "no known faults" as I know they will be wear and tear parts to change, whatever the car I chose.

What do you think between these 3?

Thanks

Edited by Arz64 on 03/02/2021 at 19:26

ford cmx/ Xsara PIcasso/ Other mpv - Dilemna between cars... - elekie&a/c doctor
None of them . For around £3.5 k , you can buy a 2008 ish Honda CR-V petrol auto . Not particularly good on fuel , but durable and reliable .

Thanks but I am done with big SUV... mine was doing 20-22mpg, so I'm looking for something that does around 30mpg because mine was guzzling fuel like crazy.I don't do much city driving.

Thanks but I am done with big SUV... mine was doing 20-22mpg, so I'm looking for something that does around 30mpg because mine was guzzling fuel like crazy.I don't do much city driving.

You said 4x4 earlier, a 2wd Honda CR-V or Toyota RAV-4 2.0 auto is going to give more or less the same mpg as a 2.0 auto Picasso, C Max or Scenic.

But as to your question, without seeing the cars, we can't really answer. Neither Citroen or Renault have that great overall reliability and Ford can be very hit or miss too. With cars of this age, very much depends on how well or otherwise, it has been looked after.

Not everybody's cup of tea...but let me throw in the Kia Soul

eg...www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-Kia-Soul-1-6-2-5dr/1643585...9

More manuals than autos I'm sure...but......

I do like the Soul, but at this age, only the diesel got an auto (for reasons known only to Kia?).

Edited by badbusdriver on 03/02/2021 at 20:25

Yes, sorry, I had a 2004 Outlander, 4WD... so guzzling fuel.

I> know without seeing the cars it's difficult. I will have a pre purchase inspection made in any case to know how the car is. Better safe than sorryy...

I really don't like the Kia soul to be honest!!

I really don't like the Kia soul to be honest!!

That may well be the case, but Kia's are reliable and you have a very small budget. Thisis what I was talking about earlier when I said you can't be too choosy. OK, the Kia can't be had as a petrol auto, so in this case can be ruled out. But with only £3.5k to play with would you really rather buy a car with potentially questionable reliability over one known to be dependable because of its looks?.

I'm trying to have both something reliable and that I find nice... I intend to keep this one for a time. There was a kia carens diesel 39 000 miles at 3000 ... dang it it was already sold when I phoned, but there are good cars in my budget out there... I keep looking...

I'm trying to have both something reliable and that I find nice... I intend to keep this one for a time.

I get that, but as I keep saying, £3.5k is not a lot of money!. If, as seems to be the case, you plan to keep it for a while, the car's appearance should be way down the priority list. Otherwise you are at great risk missing out on a reliable steed which fits your needs in all other areas. And when I say all other areas, what I mean is, the important ones!.

I looked at the Kia soul and it does not have armrests. Due to physical problems I need an armrest and a high seating position... the Kia does not have this...

I looked at the Kia soul and it does not have armrests. Due to physical problems I need an armrest and a high seating position... the Kia does not have this...

It seems the "must haves" keep increasing.?..and you'll find the Soul does have a higher seating position (than what you might call a "normal" car)

I wish you luck,

The lack of an armrest isn't much of an excuse given how easy it is to find universal fitting armrests on t'internet. But as you've said you want petrol auto, which you didn't get on the first gen Soul, its a moot point.

Well the Picasso has been sold...

I didn't mention armrest because MPV always have them... most MPVs at least. But I must say I didn't look at the Kia Soul or Nissan Note before.

Thanks for your help.

Well the Picasso has been sold...

I didn't mention armrest because MPV always have them... most MPVs at least. But I must say I didn't look at the Kia Soul or Nissan Note before.

Thanks for your help.

The Nissan Note and Ford Fusion both have drivers armrests built into the side of the seat. Not sure about the Nissan, but that on the Ford was perfectly positioned for me (as was the case on the Ford Transit Connect a used as a work vehicle for around 8 years). But the armrest on the (2017) Honda Jazz was effectively useless (for me) due to its positioning. So don't assume the presence of an armrest will guarantee comfort!.

Another option occurred to me though. At your budget, there aren't many diesels I'd consider, and if it has to be an auto, that list would shrink considerably further. One which I would consider is the 2nd gen (2010 onwards) Vauxhall Meriva. This uses the very reliable Isuzu sourced 1.7 turbo diesel (other 'Vauxhall' diesels are sourced from Fiat and are, to varying degrees, les reliable) along with a torque converter auto.

Edited by badbusdriver on 04/02/2021 at 11:55

Thanks, I'll look into the Merivas too. I don't mind if it is petrol or diesel... I think petrol would be better because I only do about 8000 a year, say 25% city 75% on roads.

Some armrests indeed are absolutely useless... still can't believe that designers still do armrest that are so short that you can't put your elbow on...

Hi, just wanted to keep you updated. I've just put a deposit on a 2007 Cmax, 2.0 petrol 53000 miles, it was declared clean at the pre purchase inspection. It comes with a 3 months national warranty.Thanks for all your help and advice.

Thats good to hear, I like the original C Max, thought it was a much nicer looking car than the 2nd gen. But being mechanically robust, fairly simple and straightforward, hopefully it will provide you with reliable service for a few years!.

Thank you, I sure hope so!! Fingers crossed!!

ford cmx/ Xsara PIcasso/ Other mpv - Dilemna between cars... - SLO76

Hi, just wanted to keep you updated. I've just put a deposit on a 2007 Cmax, 2.0 petrol 53000 miles, it was declared clean at the pre purchase inspection. It comes with a 3 months national warranty.Thanks for all your help and advice.

These were good cars and can still make a worthy but diet choice if the rot hadn’t taken hold too badly underneath but I think the whole exercise will have to be viewed as a failure if you sold your last SUV in order to seek something that will save money in fuel costs as the Mk I 2.0 C-Max auto has a real world fuel economy of 27mpg. I wish you all the best with it and to me with your low mileage fuel economy isn’t that important, reliability is. If this one turns out to be a good car don’t waste your time selling it to get something that’s better on fuel as you simply won’t find anything reliable that fits all your requirements yet offers much more than high 20’s to the gallon.

Thanks, I hope it will be reliable indeed!!! Mechanic told me it was clean mecanically, so that's what is important. If it does high 20s in town and more than 30 during longer weekend journeys, I'll be happy!! I

I saw the 27mpg average... I hope it goes over 30/35mpg for longer distances... Fingers crossed again!!