Any - Driving in EU after lockdown, great news today! - Smileyman

Another sensible move to mitigate changes now we are post Brexit. There is a new GB style registration plate to be launched soon, this will be legally valid in the EU countries to avoid using GB stickers and remove the need for an IDP.

Very useful for me as I plan to visit family in France later in the summer! Will still need the Green Card, and no indication whether in duplicate for Switzerland as used to be the case before we joined the EEC

See links below

twitter.com/grantshapps/status/1355823094657675265...0

After Covid lockdown, Brits will be able to drive on the Continent without GB stickers thanks to NEW reg plate with Union Flag & GB, plus driving licences will NOT require International Driving Permits - all confirmed today on anniversary of leaving EU google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thesun.co.uk/news/13900185/.../

Edited by Smileyman on 31/01/2021 at 21:43

Any - Driving in EU after lockdown, great news today! - Big John

Some countries such as Spain will still require a seperate GB sticker though. From the Gov website:-

"GB stickers and number plates

You do not need a GB sticker if your number plate includes the GB identifier on its own or with the Union flag.

You do not need to display a GB sticker to drive in Ireland.

You must display a GB sticker clearly on the rear of your vehicle if your number plate has any of the following:

• a Euro symbol
  • a national flag of England, Scotland or Wales
  • numbers and letters only – no flag or identifier

If you’re in Spain, Cyprus or Malta, you must display a GB sticker no matter what is on your number plate."

Edited by Big John on 01/02/2021 at 09:08

Any - Driving in EU after lockdown, great news today! - John F

I'll stick to a sub£2 GB sticker, thanks. Might even make my own - got some sticky paper and a marker pen somewhere...

Any - Driving in EU after lockdown, great news today! - concrete

I'll stick to a sub£2 GB sticker, thanks. Might even make my own - got some sticky paper and a marker pen somewhere...

I am with you John. Can't see the point in buying new number plates when a simple sticker will do. Beaurocrats and their petty rules is the bane of our lives. What difference does it make if you have GB with the Euro flag or the Union flag? Still identifies as GB. Bonkers the lot of them. They seem determined to make life as awkward as possible where they can because we left the club. They need to get over it and quickly.

Cheers Concrete

Any - Driving in EU after lockdown, great news today! - Bromptonaut

. Bonkers the lot of them. They seem determined to make life as awkward as possible where they can because we left the club. They need to get over it and quickly.

Is it the EU stopping the EU pattern plates being valid or our Government?

It's clearly ours that's outlawed the production of new EU plates. Why? are they bothered about Remainers using them as a protest?

I would!!

I also see that there's a campaign to get people to identify their nationality as "European" in the forthcoming Census.

Any - Driving in EU after lockdown, great news today! - concrete

I don't know the details of how this was decided but clearly it is the definition of a 'nothing' issue.

What possible difference can it make if a number plate has a Euro flag or a Union flag? Or any other flag for that matter. The Welsh and Scots seem to like their own flag on number plates and I think that is fine. I see no harm in being proud of where you are live or your heritage. As long as the GB or other country logo is clearly visible I see no problem. It does seem that beaurocracy has gone mad and this is a fine example of it.

I wonder how many million number plates there are with the Euro flag and GB on? It beggars belief that we are expected to bin them all and replace them. Why not just let them all age off as vehicle are scrapped etc? Makes sense to me, so that is a guarantee it will not be acceptable to the beaurocrats.

Cheers Concrete

Any - Driving in EU after lockdown, great news today! - Rerepo

When I bought my s/hand Toyota the first thing I did was rip off the dreadful 'EU flag' plates and replace them with proper British plates. The EU is not a country its a collection of beauracrats so I fail to understand why they have a flag.

Any - Driving in EU after lockdown, great news today! - Warning

When will people be able to drive to the continent?

I noticed you can book a ferry to Calais, but I imagine people can't leave due to lockdown?

Any - Driving in EU after lockdown, great news today! - Smileyman

I've a trip booked for the summer, originally booked for last year but cancelled by lockdown. wanting to visit France, perhaps Switzerland too

Any - Driving in EU after lockdown, great news today! - FP

SWMBO and I are due in France during August via a crossing booked last year but postponed to this.

Given that France's vaccination rate means it is going to be much slower than the UK in reducing social restrictions, I'm not feeling very positive that we'll get there.

Any - Driving in EU after lockdown, great news today! - Bilboman

Any word on whether drivers from EU countries will be able to drive freely in the UK with EU-badged number plates (i.e. without having to slap a separate black-on-white country identifier sticker on the back)?
(Once Covid restrictions on travel are over, of course.)

Any - Driving in EU after lockdown, great news today! - FP

Uh-oh.