Mazda 6 Tamura - Just bought used mazda. Issues. - Goldz1207

Advice needed.... Just bought used 2009 Mazda 6 Tamura yesterday from a dealership. test drove it ect... Felt fine. Got home, took a trip to work this morning and I found it cut out in neutral twice whilst stopped at lights. Drives fine but sometimes the smell off rotten egg comes n goes which I've only noticed today. I have a six month warranty, I'm guessing this will be fixed if I take it back and just explain my concerns? Its just had a fresh Mot ect so I'm guessing this shouldn't be happening? I dunno.

Wondering if anyone can give me any advice.

Mazda 6 Tamura - Just bought used mazda. Issues. - Joe tuzzer

Hello mate, rotten egg smell could be a sign that the catalytic converter is bad. The gas is called hydrogen sulfide which has a rotten egg aroma. A bad catalytic converter can cause your car too stall due too increased pressure so I'm guessing at idle in neutral the pressure buods up causing your engine too cut out. Surely they should have picked that up on the mot as they normally check the full operation of the exhaust system? Just a guess?

I was thinking that too, considering it just went in for MOT 27th. The smell comes n goes, at times I don't smell it and seems to be more if I'm reverse parking or if I rev it a little more than normal. But the fact I know its there is doing my head in considering I just bought the car. Also Sometimes feel a little surge in engine when idle too, not majorly but enough to notice and of course I'm a bit daft when it comes to mechanical issues so I don't know what's bad or not. But it's definetly going back to get checked as I feel it's not right.

Mazda 6 Tamura - Just bought used mazda. Issues. - Andrew-T

As Joe says, 'rotten eggs' means H2S - if that is what you are smelling. H2S should be oxidised by the cat, but if it can't do that I would assume it couldn't deal with normal impurities either, so the car may not pass emissions test.

Anyway I thought all fuels now had very low sulphur content. Try adding 10 litres of Super to the tank and see if it improves. If the exhaust is complete (intact) the smell shouldn't get into the car.

With it just having its MOT done on 27th by the dealership I wouldn't think there would be much to think about in terms of issues. I mean I understand its an older car, I get these things aren't perfect. But the least I can do is take it back see what they can do for me, give them a chance to fix the issue, they seemed honest a genuine enough, but the car was in the garage for two weeks before I got it from dealership and paid for it. Its making me wonder a little.

Mazda 6 Tamura - Just bought used mazda. Issues. - Avant

Is it a petrol or a diesel?

If it's a petrol and you like the car, you could choose to give the dealer a chance to fix it. Petrol Mazdas have a very good name for reliability.

If it's a diesel, do everything you can to reject the car. There will be a whole lot of other problems just waiting to happen.

Petrol car. Yeah. I'm definetly going back to see the dealership Monday as I don't think it's right. Obviously I understand a car that age won't be perfect but if just had passed its Mot on 27th. Of course I will give them every chance to fix. I just don't want led astray with some b******* excuse.

Mazda 6 Tamura - Just bought used mazda. Issues. - mcb100
Did you test drive it before buying it? If you did, I’d be a little concerned about getting anything from a dealer who broke the law in allowing you to drive it.
If your test drive was after you had paid for it, and you’d bought it on a ‘click & collect’ basis, you have 14 days to return it without any reason whatsoever.
If it was a deal that was against Covid regulations, that may give you a little leverage - a quick mention of getting Trading Standards involved should have him/her thinking about a potential £10,000 fine for allowing you to drive it....
The long and short of it is easy, return it and get your money back.

Edited by mcb100 on 31/01/2021 at 09:39

I test drove it a couple weeks back before I bought it. There was a few things to be done to it before I could get it though and he told me that. I put 100 quid deposit on it and collected it when ready. Its had a fresh MOT aswell. I could be a little paranoid, but there's definetly something up with it. A blockage of some sort anyway at least. It does have a six month warranty, but I will need to read the small print about the returns option. May be 14 days. But I will give him a chance to rectify it as the dealership has a great write up and the guys were genuine nice folk.

Mazda 6 Tamura - Just bought used mazda. Issues. - Rerepo

I would carefully write down full details of the symptoms and go back to the garage. Be polite but firm with them. Don't start ranting or threatening at this stage.

Warranty is neither here nor there because you are covered by the Consumer Rights Acts 2015...

www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/contents/enac...d

Mazda 6 Tamura - Just bought used mazda. Issues. - Big John

If you have just bought the car from a trader you have rights especially in the first 30 days and then the first 6 months. The AA have a great guide to this:-

www.theaa.com/car-buying/legal-rights