Diesel fuel additives - IanM
I am taking delivery soon of a Skoda Octavia with the 130bhp tdi pd diesel engine fitted. I have used Millers Diesel Power Plus for many years in my 11 year old Passat. Skoda discourage use of fuel additives on the basis that engines are designed with modern fuels in mind. I would be grateful for your opinions on whether it would be a good thing to continue using this product in the new car, a waste of money or positively a bad move.

Top Reply

Diesel fuel additives - bertj
I was given a bottle of Millers Diesel Power Plus and used it in my 130 bhp tdi Passat. I never found any benefit whatsoever despite careful mpg record keeping etc. The words 'snake oil' spring to mind! Use a decent quality fuel and you won't go far wrong. I think that there's some psychology involved here - people buy these additives and have to convince themselves that they are doing a good job. A bit like vitamin supplements for healthy people!
Sorry!

All Replies

Diesel fuel additives - Armitage Shanks{P}
HJ recommends Millers additive. It can't really do any harm can it? At best it lubricates the fuel pump and keeps the injectors clean, at worst it does nothing and costs you money and I think that is probably as bad as it gets!
Diesel fuel additives - xylophone
I have an Audi Avant 1.9 TDi, serviced by Audi main dealer, who have just started recommending an additive, whose name escapes me. I had always been advised by the dealer never to use an additive, on the basis that with proper servicing and good quality fuel (I use Shell) it is not necessary. But they say this stuff (from the States, I think) is the business and will not harm the engine at all. About £11, I think. I would not buy the stuff you mention, only this stuff, as the main delaer recommend that, and only that. I noticed a marginal improvement in performance. It lasts about 4/5 tankfuls. I have not used it again, but will probabaly do so once a year now (car is 1995), to clean out the injectors, even though using Shell. For £11, and no harm done, what the heck!
Diesel fuel additives - Clanger
Do you really think a main dealer has any interest at all in keeping your car running sweetly? No, he'll be delighted to see your car in his workshop costing you goodness knows what per hour, or on his forecourt after you've just traded up. And he'll have the profit from the additive ...

Think about it.
H.

Diesel fuel additives - bertj
I was given a bottle of Millers Diesel Power Plus and used it in my 130 bhp tdi Passat. I never found any benefit whatsoever despite careful mpg record keeping etc. The words 'snake oil' spring to mind! Use a decent quality fuel and you won't go far wrong. I think that there's some psychology involved here - people buy these additives and have to convince themselves that they are doing a good job. A bit like vitamin supplements for healthy people!
Sorry!
Diesel fuel additives - googolplex
But there again the same is true, in my experience, for the brand of fuel used. I stick religiously to Shell diesel where possible but have never noticed any difference when using the odd fill of other brands...

splodgeface
Shell and Tesco use the additives that other fuels do not, and over time, not just the odd tankful of the other stuff, which tells you nothing, you would notice a difference, believe me.
Diesel fuel additives - Armitage Shanks{P}
I had my 206 diesel serviced last week and find a charge of £12.00 on the bill for "Fuel Additive". I don't know how much they used but that is nearly double the price of the amount of Millers that treats 1000 litres of fuel! Perhaps there is a lot of gold in it!
Admittedly, my experience above is based on 6000 miles in my Mondeo. However, prior to that, I went through long phases of supermarket fuel (after the garages said that there was nothing to be gained by shopping around) followed by further phases of shell (following HJ's advice), followed by phases of adding additives myself. I have to say that in 150K miles in a Cavalier Diesel I noticed not one jot of difference. I think that's a sufficient "sample" of mileage to test out this theory. So, I'd like to believe you Ian, but personal experience dictates otherwise.

However, I'll continue to use Shell in the blind hope that it does some good. The other reason is that round here the supermarkets are no cheaper...

Splodgeface
Sorry, I wasn't replying to Ian, it was zylophone.
Splodgeface
Diesel fuel additives - quizman
My Passat 130 PDI went from 44 MPG to 48 MPG when switching to Rix bio diesel.
My Landrover Defender went from 23 MPG to 27 MPG on Rix.
I wish the major fuel companies would start using bio diesel.
What is bio diesel???
Diesel fuel additives - quizman
Rix bio diesel is 95% derv and 5% rape oil.
All diesel sold in France is 95% to 5%.
I noticed when travelling in France last year, that my Passat went much better and more economically on French fuel.
Since using Rix diesel here the Passat is much better.
All diesel cars are able to run on the 95% 5% mix without modification.
It is only when using 100% bio diesel that you have to be careful.
My Passat and my John Deere tractor will run OK on 100% but my wife's Focus TDCI will not.

Diesel fuel additives - Soupytwist
Is that 100% Rix biodiesel or a blend of biodiesel and regular diesel ?

For an lengthy discussion on biodiesel look at this thread :

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=i&t=97...4

Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Diesel fuel additives - BobG
Don't know if it's any help but I've just bought a new Renault Megane diesel and the main dealer uses Forte fuel additive at each service, At worst it can't harm the motor and will not invalidate the warranty,
Diesel fuel additives - jc
I doubt it is recommended in the Renault service schedule and the dealer will add about £20-25 for oil/fuel treatment-nice little earner for him.
Diesel fuel additives - wemyss
A friend is an ex Vauxhall mechanic and now works for a company which has a very large fleet of Vectra diesels and he was telling me they use Forte at every service on these cars.
However they don?t put it into the fuel tank as they consider it a waste when diluted as such but instead when replacing the fuel filter top it up with a considerable quantity of Forte to clean the injectors etc.
Was impressed when he did this with my Vectra after renewing the spill pipes and then used some version of what we used to call Kigas sprayed into the air cleaner as I turned the starter, to get the engine started.
According to him you can turn these engines over for minutes to get fuel to the injectors but using this method it fired up quite easily.
And the engine ran smoother and quicker than before so I would use it again directly into the fuel filter at service intervals.
alvin

Diesel fuel additives - andymc {P}
You can also have a browse through Fred's TDi Forum for a lot of discussion about VW TDi engines, including using biodiesel in them and fuel additives. A lot of it is US-based, but there are a few UK contributors as well.
All VW group diesels are warrantied for using biodiesel up to 100% (ie not mixed with derv). Highly lubricating stuff! I find my engines run more smoothly, give a bit more power and at the same time slightly improve the mpg. My cars both have VAG TDi 110 engines.
andymc
Diesel fuel additives - none
I work for a Ford / Iveco main dealer. Reception recommend a dose of injector cleaner before the MOT. Workshop knows that it won't make the slightest bit of difference, apart from the bill.
URL for "Fred'd TDi Forum???

Diesel fuel additives - andymc {P}
Oops, sorry!
forums.tdiclub.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
Also the biodiesel discussion forum:
biodiesel.infopop.net/
andymc
Diesel fuel additives - IanM
Many thanks to all who contributed to the discussion. In summary I guess the answer to the question seems to be to use a good quality fuel and that additives do no harm and may do some good. For a few pence per tankful I will carry on with Millers.