What would you go for? - Paul22

Morning all,

Currently got a dilemma with what car to choose. Main usage is work commute weekly around 300 miles (150 miles each way).

Looking at the following at the moment at around the £16k mark. Both very different.

1. Ford Focus Mk4 Estate Titanium X 2.0ltr Ecoblue TDCi 2018(68)
Comes with loads of optional extras:

Panoramic Sunroof, Driver Assistance pack (auto high beam, traffic sign recognition and adaptive cruise control), Convenience Pack (rear camera and park assist), Heated steering wheel, Hands free tailgate, HUD, B&O sound upgrade, Wireless Charging and full LED headlights.

2. Audi A4 Black Edition 1.4 TFSI 2018(68)

Comes with parking assistance and external LED internal light package above standard.

I know they are very different. I prefer the look of the Audi but the Focus has more extras and I imagine is more comfortable for commuting as the Audi has Sport suspension (although I think this isn’t as harsh as S Line suspension?) and 19” alloys.

Are Audi massively more expensive for servicing and parts?

Paul

Edited by Paul22 on 12/01/2021 at 10:33

What would you go for? - Alby Back
Tricky one as you say. Both cars would be a fine place to sit for 150 miles at a time, and of course it's important to have something you actually enjoy using.

The Ford would probably be cheaper to run in terms of fuel consumption and servicing etc. But, it might be worth looking at relative levels of depreciation depending on how long you're looking at keeping them.

The Audi is likely to hold its money better, and there might well be some increased resistance to diesel cars, which could harm the future value of the Ford.

If, though, you're thinking of keeping the car for a long time, that might not be such a consideration.

If you're looking at +/- 15,000 miles a year that would translate into 75,000 over 5 years. Maybe have a look at the relative values now, of equivalent 2013 models with higher mileages. Could be that any savings on fuel/maintenance on the Ford are negated by worse depreciation.

Ultimately though, all cars cost something, and it might in fact be more about which one is a better fit with your immediate needs and wants.

Neither would be very wrong.

Enjoy whatever you choose!
Many thanks I am leaning towards the focus for comfort. Although that Audi looks b***** nice ??
Well, sometimes it's worth paying a premium for "I like it, I want it and it's nice" or just letting the heart have a bit of a say.

I've heard it described as shiny tax. ;-)

Is the Audi an estate, and if not, might that make a difference to its usefulness to you? Not everyone needs the extra space of course, but it's one of those factors where too much can sometimes prove to be preferable to too little.

What would you go for? - SLO76
I’d have the Audi assuming it has sensible miles and a full dealer service history. It’ll hold it’s money better than the Focus and it’ll outlast it. Fords drive well but the trim is cheap and plasticky compared to the Audi and the Audis excellent 1400 TSi petrol motor is less likely to cause grief.

Edited by SLO76 on 12/01/2021 at 16:26

What would you go for? - blindspot

panoramic sunroof, just a gimmick.

revering aid thats all i would want.so Audi for me

What would you go for? - skidpan

Are you 100% sure its a 1.4 TSI. 2018 was the changeover year when Audi designated their cars not by engine size and power but by 2 numbers e.g. 35 is a 150 PS (approx) car. So if its says 35TSi its 150 PS but actually a 2 litre motor but obviously if it says 1.4 TSi then that is what it is.

Are you 100% sure its a 1.4 TSI. 2018 was the changeover year when Audi designated their cars not by engine size and power but by 2 numbers e.g. 35 is a 150 PS (approx) car. So if its says 35TSi its 150 PS but actually a 2 litre motor but obviously if it says 1.4 TSi then that is what it is.

Yes it’s definitely 1.4 TFSI and no extra digits on the back

I actually quite like a panoramic sunroof. I prefer the light in the cabin

What would you go for? - RT

Me too - I happily paid extra for mine

Me too, in fact, I wouldn't deliberately choose a car without a sunroof. Especially for longer runs. If I was commuting 150 miles on a summers evening, I'd want to be able to open the roof. Opening a sunroof is like finishing work early. ;-)
What would you go for? - Smileyman

Me too, in fact, I wouldn't deliberately choose a car without a sunroof. Especially for longer runs. If I was commuting 150 miles on a summers evening, I'd want to be able to open the roof. Opening a sunroof is like finishing work early. ;-)

Opening the sunroof on a summer morning or evening commute through the countryside is great, much better than using the aircon. I got mine fitted as an aftermarket extra.

I’d have the Audi assuming it has sensible miles and a full dealer service history. It’ll hold it’s money better than the Focus and it’ll outlast it. Fords drive well but the trim is cheap and plasticky compared to the Audi and the Audis excellent 1400 TSi petrol motor is less likely to cause grief.

Audi definitely has better trim but I think the gap is much closer now with the more expensive trim fords.

Yes good miles. Both cars have only 12k

What would you go for? - Avant

Do these both have manual gearboxes? Fine if so, but if not, watch out. Smaller-engined Audis like this one have a dry-clutch DSG which is unreliable, and the Ford Powershift transmission is just as bad. I'm not sure whether this model of Focus has it.

I'm surprised that a Ford and an Audi of the same age are the same price: has the Audi done more miles? Full service history is of course essential; walk away if either car, at two years old, hasn't had at least one service by now.

Do these both have manual gearboxes?

The 35 TSi is manual or auto, choice is yours. But since the 2 litre motor in the 35 has more torque than the dry clutch max (250 Nm) surely they cannot be using that box.

When I last checked (in 2018 when I got my Q2) all 2-litre VAG cars with DSG had the wet-clutch version, for the reason you give. It would need checking again, but the OP is looking at a 1.4 which will be either a manual or a dry-clutch DSG.

Incidentally the DSG in my 2-litre Q2 is never jerky: in Audi's current numbering system it would be a 40 as it has 190 bhp.

Do these both have manual gearboxes? Fine if so, but if not, watch out. Smaller-engined Audis like this one have a dry-clutch DSG which is unreliable, and the Ford Powershift transmission is just as bad. I'm not sure whether this model of Focus has it.

I'm surprised that a Ford and an Audi of the same age are the same price: has the Audi done more miles? Full service history is of course essential; walk away if either car, at two years old, hasn't had at least one service by now.

Yes both manual.

Audi is £16.5k and Focus £15.8k not much in it.

Edited by Paul22 on 12/01/2021 at 18:11

In that case go for the Audi, unless you much prefer the Focus to drive. It should hold its value better in the long run: with similar mileage to the Focus and only slightly more expensive, it seems like something of a bargain.

What would you go for? - chris87
Have you had a look at the Mazda 6?
What would you go for? - daveyK_UK
Go with the Audi although I won’t hesitate to recommend the Focus, loved my 69 plate Focus estate

Audi has Sport suspension (although I think this isn’t as harsh as S Line suspension?)

Having looked at the A4 Avant last autumn the Sport (despite the name suggesting it would) does not have Sport Suspension as standard. As you say its the S-Line that gets that.