Tall driver looking for new car - Thomas Pelham

Hi, I'm looking to replace the seat Ibiza that my wife and I currently drive, as we've just had a baby and the car just isn't big enough!

I'm quite keen on an estate car, I'm not a huge fan of SUVs and we don't need the expense of a people carrier yet.

The complicating factor is my height; I'm 6'6 and generally have the driver's seat as far back as possible for my knees to fit. We want a car which has space for a child seat behind this, so that we can be sure to have space if the family gets bigger again. It'd also be useful to sit an adult there. With the isofix base there is currently no chance of getting a seat behind me in the Ibiza.

Any suggestions for roomy back estates? Budget is up to 15k, probably looking for no more than 20000 miles and reasonably new.

Thanks.

Tall driver looking for new car - SLO76
What sort of usage will the car see? Will it be mostly local running, will there be regular longer runs?

Mixed, lots of local and a couple of 150 mile journeys a month. About 10000 miles a year

Tall driver looking for new car - Avant

If I were you I'd start with a Skoda estate - probably a Superb unless you can fit comfortably into a Octavia. Only you can decide on comfort: you may have a long trunk or long legs which will make a difference. Ideally you need to sit in one, though this is difficult with the government ordering showrooms to close.

The baby seat shouldn't be a problem until a few years on when his/her legs will be longer. But if you oftenneed to seat two adults in the back, then go for a Superb.

A Volvo V90 will do the job, but for your budget it would be older than a Skoda.

Don't go for a diesel unless your annual mileage is very high.

Tall driver looking for new car - edlithgow

Should be easy. The roof will be shinier than the other ones in the car park.

If you were short it might be more of a problem. Might have to climb a lamp post or something.

If I were you I'd start with a Skoda estate - probably a Superb unless you can fit comfortably into a Octavia. Only you can decide on comfort: you may have a long trunk or long legs which will make a difference. Ideally you need to sit in one, though this is difficult with the government ordering showrooms to close.

The baby seat shouldn't be a problem until a few years on when his/her legs will be longer. But if you oftenneed to seat two adults in the back, then go for a Superb.

A Volvo V90 will do the job, but for your budget it would be older than a Skoda.

For some reason recent Skoda superb on auto trader are really pricy.

Tall driver looking for new car - daveyK_UK
Ford Tourneo connect
Citroen Berlingo MPV
Peugeot Rifter MPV
Vauxhall Combo Life

All ideal for tall drivers with good seating position
Tall driver looking for new car - badbusdriver

Assuming your legs are especially long, you are going to be very restricted looking at conventional cars. If you are seated quite low, all your leg length is going to be accommodated more or less horizontally. This will inevitably cause problems for the rear seat unless the car is particularly big.

In an SUV or MPV, as you are sitting higher, more of your leg length can be accommodated vertically too, reducing the need for an excessively long car.

Tall driver looking for new car - RT

My son is 6'6", with extra long legs - he has an Octavia Estate which he's very comfortable in.

Tall driver looking for new car - Chris79

I am the same height as you and have two kids, our family vehicle is a Zafira Tourer.

granted this isn’t the most desirable of cars but you should be able to get a 1.4T model easily within budget. It will accommodate you and the kids without any hassles at all and is a very good family car.

i have no idea what your future plans are but if it involves another child it gives you plenty of space to expand into.

we had an estate car prior to this (2017 A4 Avant) and whilst it was a nicer car in many respects it wasn’t nearly as capable as a people carrier as family transport.

a quick search on network q suggests there are 67 plate models around the 10-11k mark. A Kia carens maybe another option as well?

the plus point with these vehicles is that they are slightly raised. This is a huge plus when lifting car seats in and out.

Edited by Chris79 on 12/01/2021 at 10:00

Ahh yes I think it's a very practical car, only problem is that both my parents and my parents in law have driven them for at least a decade! Not sure I can face my siblings teasing. Ahh, vanity.

Tall driver looking for new car - SLO76

I really rate the Mazda 6 estate. These are good looking, fun to drive, comfortable, decent on fuel and utterly reliable as long as you stick with the 2.0 petrol models. The diesels are sadly another matter with a reputation for premature engine expiry. £12k gets a nice one and personally I’d stick with the SE versions over the harder riding Sport. I wanted one when car shopping recently but swmbo overruled me and demanded an SUV.

Auto Trader:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202012187212983

Another worthy would be the Ford Mondeo which is similarly pleasant to drive and is generally robust if you avoid the God awful Powershift gearbox. I’d take the 1.5 Ecoboost or the 2.0 diesel. The taxi trade get good service from these.

The Skoda Superb is a brilliant big family wagon too. I’d favour the 1.4 TSi or 2.0 diesel but again avoid the DSG gearbox. I just find them a bit dull but that’s a personal opinion. My past experiences of VAG products point to generally good reliability but a fair number of minor irritants as they age. Taxi fleets love these too so it’s an easy sell at the other end.

For total dependability the Toyota Avensis 1.8 is hard to beat. They’re a bit dull but very spacious, decent on fuel and utterly bombproof mechanically. I have a decade old example with 90k up and it drives without fault. I’ve more faith in this than the much more valuable Volvo XC60 we also own. The post facelift diesels do use a BMW motor and the firm do have a past reputation for timing chain issues on their 4cyl engines but they’re great on fuel and a good bit more powerful on the road than the revvy petrol. Look after it and it’ll be fine.

Edited by SLO76 on 12/01/2021 at 22:43