The mrs wants a car - primus 1

Er indoors, has decided she needs a little runaround, something small, now obviously with all the lockdown business it won’t be anytime soon, so I’d thought I’d ask on here what you guys think, the budget should be around 3k, I say should cos she’s paying, but cheaper would be better, mileage will be low as it would be mainly used as an urban runaround so no motorway use, and it goes without saying, petrol not diesel, so she likes

suzuki splash, or the Vauxhall agila, not sure what the difference is apart from the badge

ayago, Citroen , Peugeot, I know these are identical cars but which one,

now she wants as new as possible ( given her budget) so I know the swift would be recommended, but the few we’ve seen on auto trader are probably a bit long in the tooth for her, now the final bit...reliability, which of these would be the most reliable in your opinion?, and I know condition is more important than low mileage but if it’s average then it should be ok,

The mrs wants a car - NowWheels

I drove a Vauxhall Agila a few times as a courtesy car from a dealer.

I expected it to be as joyless as the Corsa they gave me the first time, which was wooden and slow and miserable. But the Agila was brilliant: soft riding but grippy, like an 80s or 90s French car only with a peppy free-revving engine and a slick gearbox.

I have no idea how reliable they have been. But as a wee runabout, I thought it was brilliant.

The mrs wants a car - RT

I drove a Vauxhall Agila a few times as a courtesy car from a dealer.

I expected it to be as joyless as the Corsa they gave me the first time, which was wooden and slow and miserable. But the Agila was brilliant: soft riding but grippy, like an 80s or 90s French car only with a peppy free-revving engine and a slick gearbox.

I have no idea how reliable they have been. But as a wee runabout, I thought it was brilliant.

I seem to recall that the Agila was Vauxhall's most reliable model, by a long way.

The mrs wants a car - SLO76
At this money it’s more down to condition, history and mileage than make and model. I’d expand the search to include the Suzuki Swift, Mazda 2, Ford Fiesta 1.25, Toyota Yaris and Honda Jazz. Even a tidy Vauxhall Corsa 1.2/1.4 would be sensible. I’d also favour buying privately here too as £3k doesn’t go far with a dealer plus you’ve no idea who owned it before. Face to face contact with the last owner at their home address will tell you plenty about how the car was looked after.

The mrs wants a car - Avant

I think the Splash / Agila was more Suzuki than Vauxhall, hence its being reliable and fun to drive. I can't remember any other joint ventures between them - was that the only one?

For some reason this model never sold very well - ahead of its time perhaps.

Primus, your own suggestions look sensible but you should add the Toyota Yaris to the list. It's small enough to be a runaround but has always wold well so there will be plenty around to suit your budget. Go for the 1.3 rather than the 1.0 (unless she's never going to go out of town) and try to find one with a service history.

The other possibility is a Ford Fiesta, but you need the 1.25 engine as the 1.0 has had problems. The advantge of these is that there re even more arouind to choose from.

Finally, very good to see you back, NowWheels: you were a member of the forum when I first joined in 2004(so you must have been very young then!). Do stay with us.

The mrs wants a car - NowWheels

I think the Splash / Agila was more Suzuki than Vauxhall, hence its being reliable and fun to drive. I can't remember any other joint ventures between them - was that the only one?

My impression was that it wasn't a joint venture, just badge engineering. But either way, fun and reliable cars.

I agree with you that at that it age it's good to buy primarily on condition, and to avoid dealers. But other things being equal, that Spash/Agila would offer a lot of smiles.

Finally, very good to see you back, NowWheels: you were a member of the forum when I first joined in 2004(so you must have been very young then!). Do stay with us.

Thanks Avant. I think I joined in about 2001 or so. I'd like to think I was v young then, but I think it might be more accurate to say that I am now getting old.

Hope you are keeping well too.

The mrs wants a car - badbusdriver

Re the Agila/Splash, I believe the Suzuki was better equipped than the Vauxhall. But they are surprisingly pricey compared to other similar sized cars. I think this may be because they type of buyers seldom cover much mileage, but also because they tend to hang on to them!.

I'd also suggest considering both the Fiat Panda and the closely related (not that you'd know looking at them) 2nd gen Ford Ka. Fiats are known for patchy reliability, but the n/a 1.2 (used in both cars) is a gem. When I had a look on Autotrader at £3k cars (with reasonable miles and no ins. write offs), the Ka and Panda were amongst the youngest available (2015).

Well she was initially thinking about a Toyota iq, but she thought a 3 door wouldn’t have the same seating position as a 5 door, ( she’s on the petite side and sits close to the steering wheel) plus it would be more practical, so it would have to be a 5 door, hence the splash, ect,

thought about a later ford ka, but again it’s a 3 door, ( I don’t think it was available as a 5 door but I could be wrong) , my sons gf had a panda and it was generally ok but I’m not too sure, as everyone on here always recommends something Japanese for reliability and at this end of the market , I tend to agree, but it’s not set in stone, maybe a Hyundai i10/ picanto, a jazz is probably too big for her needs maybe a Mazda 2,

I10 and Picanto are both decent little cars too but the older models that’ll you’ll be looking at, at this money aren’t as refined or as capable as the later versions I rate so highly. That said, both make very good and cheap little city cars.

Well she was initially thinking about a Toyota iq, but she thought a 3 door wouldn’t have the same seating position as a 5 door,

I can assure you there is absolutely no difference in seating position between cars which have both 3 and 5 doors, doesn't happen. Obviously a 5 door offers easier access to the rear seats, and in tight spaces the bigger doors on a 3 door car could be a pest.

Personally, I am a huge fan of the IQ, one of the most intelligently designed cars in ages. Of course what most buyers want are big dumb SUV's, so the tiny, quirky (but not cheap) IQ didn't really do anything sales wise. Good shout for a future classic though, I'd get a 1.33 auto in an instant if I had the spare money!.

my sons gf had a panda and it was generally ok but I’m not too sure, as everyone on here always recommends something Japanese for reliability and at this end of the market

I know exactly what you mean being a bit wary of a Fiat (well two, given the Ka is mainly Fiat too). But the key thing is simplicity, and that 1.2 has been around for ages providing sterling service. I certainly wouldn't be advocating a Panda with the TwinAir engine or the diesel.

Re the C1/108/Aygo, I do like them too. A few years ago we got a C1 loan car and I thought it great fun to drive. Early versions apparently could had gearbox problems though, not sure when that was rectified.

I too like the Fiat Panda. I like the simplicity and the spirit of the thing but they do tend to fall off a cliff reliability wise at 70,000 miles so buy the youngest, lowest mileage example you can find and stick with the 4cyl 1.2 petrol. The 2cyl 900cc twin air is fun but fragile.

Well now she’s looking at the Fiat 500 and now she’s found some Suzuki altos, it’d be easier shoe shopping. lol, I think the three door cars have been dismissed prematurely, I think she would have to sit in one and try it out, I think. SLO advised to buy privately, its ages since I bought a car privately, and with today’s horror stories I’m not too confident regarding payment ect..

So the list is growing,

suzuki alto

suzuki splash

fiat 500

nissan micra

Shes dismissed the Mazda 2, Suzuki swift, and anything of similar size ( too big...!..yes, I know )

she’s swaying back to the Toyota Aygo ,c1, 107, do these all use toyotas engines? and are they belt or chain..?

The mrs wants a car - RT

So the list is growing,

suzuki alto

suzuki splash

fiat 500

nissan micra

Shes dismissed the Mazda 2, Suzuki swift, and anything of similar size ( too big...!..yes, I know )

she’s swaying back to the Toyota Aygo ,c1, 107, do these all use toyotas engines? and are they belt or chain..?

The Aygo, C1, 107 all use a 1.0 Daihatsui chain engine engine - it's part of Toyota, seems to have a good reputation .

I have a 2011 Citroen C1 with 102,000 miles - it's fun to drive but noisy as no soundproofing.

The mrs wants a car - John Boy

I've got an Agila and so has my daughter. They're both autos, about 11 years old and have done around 60K miles. I posted an Owners Review of mine on here. Since I posted that, it's had a new engine fan and radiator. We've both happy with them.

HJ's review is worth a read: www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/vauxhall/agila-b-200...d

The MOT records of 12, which I saw for sale in 2016, bear out what it says the most common fault is.

A member on another forum, who was asked why he bought one for his wife, said "My work had 50 as loan cars, we had zero trouble with them. After puntos nearly broke the owner the time before."

Edited by John Boy on 07/01/2021 at 22:35

Well now she’s looking at the Fiat 500 and now she’s found some Suzuki altos, it’d be easier shoe shopping. lol, I think the three door cars have been dismissed prematurely, I think she would have to sit in one and try it out, I think. SLO advised to buy privately, its ages since I bought a car privately, and with today’s horror stories I’m not too confident regarding payment ect..

At £3,000, you’ll be getting a car the dealer paid £1,500-£2,000 for plus their profit margin. It’ll usually have been auction bought and often be hiding some fault they’ve bodged or hidden. A private sale will offer you the chance to meet the owner and see their home which will tell you plenty about them. Ask him if it’s registered to them at their own address, walk if they say no. Ask how long they’ve owned it, walk if less than two years without very good reason and ask if there’s proof of annual servicing and again walk in f it’s been neglected. Chain driven engines like the C1/107/Aygo and Suzuki Splash need regular oil changes to remain healthy. As far payment, well cash or bank transfer is fine. If you’ve any doubts then HPI it to check for write-off status and any outstanding finance, remember to use the chassis number or HPI’s insurance won’t apply. Remember also to check the Mot history. Finding a good car at this money at a dealer is rare. Most are auction bought rubbish with botched repairs and faked service histories.

Edited by SLO76 on 07/01/2021 at 23:12

At £3,000, you’ll be getting a car the dealer paid £1,500-£2,000 for plus their profit margin. It’ll usually have been auction bought and often be hiding some fault they’ve bodged or hidden. A private sale will offer you the chance to meet the owner and see their home which will tell you plenty about them. Ask him if it’s registered to them at their own address, walk if they say no. Ask how long they’ve owned it, walk if less than two years without very good reason and ask if there’s proof of annual servicing and again walk in f it’s been neglected. Chain driven engines like the C1/107/Aygo and Suzuki Splash need regular oil changes to remain healthy. As far payment, well cash or bank transfer is fine. If you’ve any doubts then HPI it to check for write-off status and any outstanding finance, remember to use the chassis number or HPI’s insurance won’t apply. Remember also to check the Mot history. Finding a good car at this money at a dealer is rare. Most are auction bought rubbish with botched repairs and faked service histories.

Yes I see what you mean SLO, a lot of the garages look like an Arthur daley franchise...

The mrs wants a car - TrevL

Just to add some experience of Fiat/Suzuki from my wife's recent transport. I got a Punto pre-reg at an excellent price when the model changed some years ago and my wife ran it for twelve years with no major issues, plenty of miles and regular servicing. It was the standard old 1.2 petrol engine, no problems at all with that. Eventually had some recurring intermittent electrical issues that defied easy resolution. My local mechanic took off our hands and it was used by various associates as a relief motor until it finally expired BER. Replacement is a Suzuki Alto that is an excellent vehicle in the small runabout category, the 1.0 petrol engine is an excellent job, smooth running for the 3 cyl design and enjoyable to drive. I'm six foot plus and there is enough space for me when driving, Bought it from a local dealer who had an excellent reputation, paid about £3,800 for a three year old model and no issues after nearly four years of use. I do declare an interest as my Suzuki SX4 is thirteen years old and has 212000 on the clock, so I am a bit of a fan. Hope this helps.

Just to add some experience of Fiat/Suzuki from my wife's recent transport. I got a Punto pre-reg at an excellent price when the model changed some years ago and my wife ran it for twelve years with no major issues, plenty of miles and regular servicing. It was the standard old 1.2 petrol engine, no problems at all with that. Eventually had some recurring intermittent electrical issues that defied easy resolution. My local mechanic took off our hands and it was used by various associates as a relief motor until it finally expired BER. Replacement is a Suzuki Alto that is an excellent vehicle in the small runabout category, the 1.0 petrol engine is an excellent job, smooth running for the 3 cyl design and enjoyable to drive. I'm six foot plus and there is enough space for me when driving, Bought it from a local dealer who had an excellent reputation, paid about £3,800 for a three year old model and no issues after nearly four years of use. I do declare an interest as my Suzuki SX4 is thirteen years old and has 212000 on the clock, so I am a bit of a fan. Hope this helps.

Yes thanks, it’s just that ,with what SLO said now makes me wary of visiting some of these “ back street dealers” , I know some are excellent but it’s finding the right one

“ Yes thanks, it’s just that ,with what SLO said now makes me wary of visiting some of these “ back street dealers” , I know some are excellent but it’s finding the right one”

It’s worthwhile speaking to local main dealers and leaving your number with them should a worthy trade-in turn up. Some will happily sell on a good older car but they often won’t want to have it on the forecourt. Our local Honda dealer is a regular source of such cars. Some dealers also have secondary sites to sell on their own part exchanges, much like our excellent local VW/Seat/Skoda dealer. They’ll retain anything decent, down to £2,000 and will retail it rather than auction it. They’re not particularly cheap but the cars are all good and none are auction bought. Some smaller traders link up with larger dealers to take their older part exchange stock too, I did this with two local Citroen and Daihatsu dealerships for years and received many thoroughly decent older cars they didn’t want to retail. Ask around for local recommendations. But the bulk of back street car traders are utterly dishonest I’m afraid to say.

Edited by SLO76 on 09/01/2021 at 01:08

I think the missus is going to have to up her budget

The mrs wants a car - Alby Back
For what it's worth Primus, in 2017 we bought a 7 year old Aygo for our then 17 year old son to learn on.

Scroll forward 4 years to present day and he still has it, having passed his test in it a few months after his 17th birthday.

Want to remember we paid £3000 for it at the time with a short 40,000 miles on it. Anyway, having been used and abused by a typically "enthusiastic" new driver for 4 years it hasn't had any problems at all and he's added another 20,000 miles or so to it.

Insurance was a bit steamy maybe in his first year of solo driving, but he's managed not to have any claims so that has come down a lot.

Although there are two other cars here, the wee Toyota gets used more than any of them, by all of us at the moment. It's perfect for short journeys and town driving. Although, having said that, it can more than keep up on the open road.

Great little thing and much loved in our household.

Thanks Alby, she seems to have fallen for the Fiat 500, lots of oos and aahs, this afternoon, anyway there’s nothin* she can do atm during lockdown, I think when we can start looking in earnest we can try the aygo c1 107 and the Fiat 500, maybe even the swift,

500s are very cute. Not the best reputation as a driver's car, but like all things of beauty, you can make allowances!
The mrs wants a car - blindspot

vauxhall viva

vauxhall viva

Well, blindspot, you’ve really thrown the cat among the pigeons, I’ve shown her the viva and she likes them, so that’s in the mix now , thanks, are these generally reliable..?

The mrs wants a car - Avant

The Viva never sold very well, so you won't find many around. There are far more Fiat 500s and Aygos etc to choose from.

I’ve shown her the viva and she likes them, so that’s in the mix now , thanks, are these generally reliable..?

For all that Vauxhalls don't hold their value very well, I doubt you'd get into a Viva for much less that £4k unless high miles or an insurance write off.

Not bad cars exactly, just average, offering nothing to tempt buyers other than the proximity of a Vauxhall dealer and good deals.

The mrs wants a car - veloceman
I have just got a 500S for nipping into town etc.
1.2 engine is more flexible than I expected. Handles well, you do sit a bit high but I don’t mind that. There is only steering wheel adjustment for height not reach.
I interior is great retro design but a bit cheap in places and the lower models only get a plastic steering wheel.
S spec has 16” wheels which makes the ride a bit crashy so I would stick to 14/15”s of Pop or lounge.
Pop doesn’t have AC tho.
But quirky and great fun.

I have just got a 500S for nipping into town etc. 1.2 engine is more flexible than I expected. Handles well, you do sit a bit high but I don’t mind that. There is only steering wheel adjustment for height not reach. I interior is great retro design but a bit cheap in places and the lower models only get a plastic steering wheel. S spec has 16” wheels which makes the ride a bit crashy so I would stick to 14/15”s of Pop or lounge. Pop doesn’t have AC tho. But quirky and great fun.

Yes she wouldn’t be using it much, just for nipping about locally, no long motorway trips, I used to have a company van for work so it was never a problem as our car stayed in the garage, but I changed jobs just over a year ago and now need a car for work, I think the 500 is the best bet, she wouldn’t settle for anything less than lounge trim,

“ Yes she wouldn’t be using it much, just for nipping about locally, no long motorway trips, I used to have a company van for work so it was never a problem as our car stayed in the garage, but I changed jobs just over a year ago and now need a car for work, I think the 500 is the best bet, she wouldn’t settle for anything less than lounge trim,”

Won’t get a good low miler for £3k though. I do like them mind. Just stick with the basic 1200 petrol and I wouldn’t really worry myself about finding A/C as it’s likely to fail anyway at this age/money.

Well, she’s upping the budget, to around 5k, and maybe a small amount of finance, so now she’s looking at the i10, might be able to get one with a bit of warranty left,

Opens things up a bit. I’d favour an i10 or a Picanto but a tidy 500 would be worthy too

Well, she’s upping the budget, to around 5k, and maybe a small amount of finance, so now she’s looking at the i10, might be able to get one with a bit of warranty left,

If you mean £5k plus some finance (rather than including). £6k would be enough to get your wife into a 2018 Kia Picanto (the i10's mechanical twin) which, assuming dealer history, could have as much as 5 years warranty remaining.

Yes picantos are on the list too, but, as I said, we can do nothing as yet, who knows she might change her mind and decide to do something else, not that women ever change their minds....

What car do you currently have Primus, and would she like that?

Spot the moustache twirling opportunity here...

;-)
What car do you currently have Primus, and would she like that? Spot the moustache twirling opportunity here... ;-)

We have a ford Puma, the new one

Edited by primus 1 on 10/01/2021 at 18:16

Perfect, ideal for a modern lady and absolutely fine for you to use when required. Now, we could turn to what you'd like...
;-)
Perfect, ideal for a modern lady and absolutely fine for you to use when required. Now, we could turn to what you'd like... ;-)

Well I love the Puma, the mrs says she likes it, and I think she does, but I have a sneaking suspicion that she finds it too big, she can drive it ok, but she’s happier in small cars, as she’s on the petite side she feels more comfortable in something smaller...

i know two folk with a viva . their both thrilled 1000% reliable. check out in owners review on this site . owners love them.they dont hold price very well . bargain

(Duplicate post)

Edited by Avant on 10/01/2021 at 22:53

Not sure her size and preference for small cars are necessarily connected, some people just prefer small cars. I'm one of them, and while I'm not particularly big, I'm not petite!. And back when I worked for Stagecoach, there was a female bus driver who was 5'2", she had no trouble with a 50' coach.

Both our sons have fled the nest and we currently have a Suzuki Ignis (which, were you to get your budget high enough to get into a top of the range SZ-T version, £6.5-7k, is what I'd be suggesting). This may not be quite as petite as a Toyota Aygo, but it is around the same size as an i10.

Not sure her size and preference for small cars are necessarily connected, some people just prefer small cars. I'm one of them, and while I'm not particularly big, I'm not petite!. And back when I worked for Stagecoach, there was a female bus driver who was 5'2", she had no trouble with a 50' coach.

Both our sons have fled the nest and we currently have a Suzuki Ignis (which, were you to get your budget high enough to get into a top of the range SZ-T version, £6.5-7k, is what I'd be suggesting). This may not be quite as petite as a Toyota Aygo, but it is around the same size as an i10.

Yes, I think she feels more comfortable in a smaller car, I on the other hand, prefer something larger, and with the exception of an alfasud bought back in the eighties, ( which she never drove as it was too big) we’ve pretty much had smaller cars all along, we hired a Nissan quashqai a few years ago to go on holiday, and I would have had one in a heartbeat, but the mrs couldn’t get a comfortable driving position, I’d also love to have an automatic but the mrs says no, so she would be at home with her own little runaround, never thought of an ignis, as I say, we’ll have to get a budget together, it’s just at the idea stage atm