Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV - Hybrid resale value - Bri123

I'm considering buying an Outlander for 2 main reasons. I have a begun a new job with a 6 mile round commute but don't want to lose the space of a family car. Currently have astra diesel estate which is not enjoying the short journeys. My issue is I can afford a 2015 vehicle but given that the battery is only warrantied for 8 years or 100,000 miles, will the car be worth much in say 3-5 years time if I want to change it. I understand a new battery pack costs £4500 at present. I'm a little worried I would be buying something that will be worth very little at a later date. Any advice is greatly appreciated

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV - Hybrid resale value - Manatee

It doesn't follow that it will fail when it's 8 years old. The risk is £4,500, but if that happens it should be good for another few years.

How much must you pay for the car?

I don't think anybody can tell you what it will be worth in 3-5 years, but you have to assume the price now reflects the possibility of a battery replacement being needed.

Not very helpful I know. I have considered swapping my diesel for one, as I don't do many long journeys now and I try to avoid using it for short hops. Prices seem fairly soft, possibly reflecting Mitsubishi's decision to withdraw from selling cars here.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV - Hybrid resale value - daveyjp

Mitsubishi have now withdrawn from selling new vehicles in the UK, this may affect future sale values.

In 5 years the car will be 10 years old, it will be worth a few thousand quid depending on mileage and condition. If the car meets your current needs buy one.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV - Hybrid resale value - Terry W

If Mitsubishi are withdrawing fromm the UK I would be far more concerned about availability of all spares 5 years hence than the state of the battery which may still be entirely functional.

In 5 years time I suspect there will be a thriving busisess in upgrading and replacing EV batteries of all sorts. There will also be the oft used alterative should the worst arise that a second hand or salvage battery could be used, or revert to petrol only (I assume this is possible).

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV - Hybrid resale value - veloceman
According to a recent Carwow piece on utube the Outlander appeared in the top 20 worse depreciating cars.
You may get something a lot newer for little more cash.
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV - Hybrid resale value - badbusdriver

I have a begun a new job with a 6 mile round commute but don't want to lose the space of a family car.

At the risk of stating the obvious, but do you actually need to use a car to get back and fore to work?. For example, I can walk 3 miles in 45mins, I could cycle it in around 15mins (depending on terrain) or a wee bit less less with an e-bike using maximum assist (circa 12mins @ 15.5mph). Or even a 50cc moped, which would cover 3 miles in around 6mins.

The reason I bring it up is due to the concerns you have over the age of Outlander you can afford along with the possibility of needing to replace the battery. If you were able to commute using one of the above, you could simply replace the diesel Astra with a simple and reliable petrol powered equivalent.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV - Hybrid resale value - dan86

I have a begun a new job with a 6 mile round commute but don't want to lose the space of a family car.

At the risk of stating the obvious, but do you actually need to use a car to get back and fore to work?. For example, I can walk 3 miles in 45mins, I could cycle it in around 15mins (depending on terrain) or a wee bit less less with an e-bike using maximum assist (circa 12mins @ 15.5mph). Or even a 50cc moped, which would cover 3 miles in around 6mins.

The reason I bring it up is due to the concerns you have over the age of Outlander you can afford along with the possibility of needing to replace the battery. If you were able to commute using one of the above, you could simply replace the diesel Astra with a simple and reliable petrol powered equivalent.

Regarding the 50cc scooter I was in bluewater shopping center at the beginning of December where they were advertising an electronic moped/scotter was around £2000 if I recall and would do 75 miles on a charge costing around £0.75p to fully charge the batteries. It was completely road legal and had a top speed of 25mph. I did consider it as that would be ideal for my commute but u don't like the cold and rain so decided that using my trusty 10 year old suzuki was still a better option.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV - Hybrid resale value - tim10597

Agree with this. My wife uses an e-bike to commute to work now. She uses the battery assistance to get there so she isn’t hot and sweaty at work (no showers there), but then cycles home under her own power, so is keeping fit at the same time. Much more cost effective than using the car (which she does still have!)

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV - Hybrid resale value - dan86

Agree with this. My wife uses an e-bike to commute to work now. She uses the battery assistance to get there so she isn’t hot and sweaty at work (no showers there), but then cycles home under her own power, so is keeping fit at the same time. Much more cost effective than using the car (which she does still have!)

Again this is something I looked in to and I do have showers at work but I'm to lazy and like that extra 30 minutes in bed it's only 9 miles there by car and 7 on the way home but as I start work at 5:30 it would mean I lose 30 minutes sleep and one needs there beauty rest. You don't get to look this good with very little sleep lol.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV - Hybrid resale value - Avant

An alternative view would be that a 2015 Outlander PHEV will have 2-3 years' warranty on the battery, whereas a 2015 anything-else-except-a Kia won't have a warranty at all. ICE cars, especially diesels, are also capable of expensive failure as they get older.

The keep-fit option of hanging on to your Astra and buying a bike (or an E-bike) rather depends on (a) whether the Astra is still sound, and (b) how strenuous your job is, and how attractive or otherwise a 3-mile bike ride home is going to be.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV - Hybrid resale value - Auristocrat

Toyota hybrids outside the five year new car warranty will have the hybrid battery warranty extended by one year/10,000 miles if serviced at a Toyota dealer, and the battery warranty can be extended up to when the car is 15 years old.

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV - Hybrid resale value - SLO76
Pointless buying a hybrid for such low mileage usage. Buy a newer petrol estate instead. Your money will go further and there’s less complexity to worry about. Plus with Mitsubishi pulling out of the market residuals will collapse and non-service parts will dry up quickly. An Avensis or Mazda 6 petrol estate would both be far superior to own and drive, especially the Mazda.