The possible uptake of British Cars - Brexit - Steveieb
With talks still stalling and eventually we decide to pull the plug , maybe we need to take a look at what manufactures in the UK are planning in the event of a no deal.
With price rises on cars imported from Europe Nissan may decide to ramp up production at Sunderland to take the place of Renault cars from France. And Toyota are well placed with production at Burnaston likely to be ramped up in the event of a no deal.
And has anyone heard any news from Swindon that Honda may be retaining some sort of presence. Just in case? Even though production has been halted at the moment because of supply problems with components held up at the docks !
The possible uptake of British Cars - Brexit - madf

As half UK car production is exported to the EU - and will be badly hit by tariffs, I expect UK car production will fall.

If the EU decide that much of UK car production has less than 50% (?exact %) local content, we could see exports to the EU collapse. (Japanese cars worst hit)

The possible uptake of British Cars - Brexit - sammy1

With Honda on hold because of parts suggest won't be long before others have problems. As well as ports, reports today of 10 mile lorry queues both sides Calais/Dover. Containers are also said to be held in most imports. Whatever the outcome of a deal or not things will sort themselves out The biggest problem as I see it is the current prices of new cars regardless of where they are made. Of course I hope that the UK retains its manufacturing base but Honda leaving is still going ahead?

The possible uptake of British Cars - Brexit - RT

People will just have to buy Nissans and Jaguars instead of Fords and BMWs.

The possible uptake of British Cars - Brexit - John Boy

Related news item on Sky News website:

news.sky.com/story/brexit-uk-car-production-could-...6

The possible uptake of British Cars - Brexit - mcb100
Renault - Nissan - Mitsubishi Alliance’s global vision, published this Summer, is for Nissan to lead in China and the US, Mitsubishi in South-East Asia and Renault in Europe. The aim is to stop the brands stepping on each other’s toes in the same markets.
www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/car-industry-n...e
The possible uptake of British Cars - Brexit - Terry W

Tariffs on imported cars is 10% from EU - so I suspect there will be some reduction in volumes imported due to price rises. However manufacturers could opt to reduce list prices in part or whole to compensate.

So the opportunity is for British manufacturers to sell more cars into their home market.

Useful, as they will likely find exporting more difficult and many multinationals will be looking at whether it is still worth using UK as a manufacturing base.

Although not a direct result of Brexit, any quota and tariff changes agreed with Korea and Japan may impact.

Overall - there will be changes - but it is far from clear what they will be.

UK car prices will rise for UK built cars as many parts - BMW/Renault - are EU sourced and liable to 10% import tariffs. Ditto tyres.etc

Edited by madf on 14/12/2020 at 07:57

The possible uptake of British Cars - Brexit - Brit_in_Germany

Does the UK's trade deal with Japan have any provision for import duty on cars? If they are duty-free (or reduced duty), I can see Japanese cars taking the place of those from the EU.

The possible uptake of British Cars - Brexit - daveyjp

UKs Trade deal with Japan is exactly the same as the one Japan has with the EU as it has simply been rolled over (as have all the other trade deals),

Cars from Japan are now zero tariff.

UKs Trade deal with Japan is exactly the same as the one Japan has with the EU as it has simply been rolled over (as have all the other trade deals),

Cars from Japan are now zero tariff.

But cars from Japanese makers in UK will be tariffed when exported to EU..(If a No deal)

The possible uptake of British Cars - Brexit - Cris_on_the_gas

Almost the exact opposite. As most UK production is exported. With export tariffs to EU countries I would expect car production in the UK to fall off a cliff. Honda have already confirmed closure of Swindon plant in 2021.

The possible uptake of British Cars - Brexit - nick62

We'll be like East Germany soon, but instead of a Trabant we'll all have an Astra.

Such a shame that an enterprising UK investor could not persuade Honda to leave all the tooling for an old model Jazz so we could have our version of the Dacia at a knockdown price.
After the arrogance that Macron has treated the Brits in these negotiations I hope anyone buying a French car will think twice !

The possible uptake of British Cars - Brexit - alan1302

Such a shame that an enterprising UK investor could not persuade Honda to leave all the tooling for an old model Jazz so we could have our version of the Dacia at a knockdown price.
After the arrogance that Macron has treated the Brits in these negotiations I hope anyone buying a French car will think twice !

Out of interest what British car do you have?

Last time I looked, Steveieb had that most British of cars: an Audi A4.

Last time I looked, Steveieb had that most British of cars: an Audi A4.

Ah, I see :-)

I imagine a lot of people who say we should buy British don't themselves.

You do realise we would still have to pay royalties to Honda if it was made locally: royalties on engines, gearboxes, body design etc. And the volumes are so small it could never be economical.

Dacia makes old design Renault engines...and old design suspension etc...Minimal tooling costs.

There is no way Honda would do that...economically.

The possible uptake of British Cars - Brexit - Ethan Edwards

Really? So no cars from say South Korea or Japan? Right well you'll have to send back all those Kias Hyundai Suzukis etc. Remember nobody else on the planet except the EU makes anything. We all sit about all day saying oh how I wish we could have one of those car thingies from FrancoGerrmany etc.

The possible uptake of British Cars - Brexit - galileo

Really? So no cars from say South Korea or Japan? Right well you'll have to send back all those Kias Hyundai Suzukis etc. Remember nobody else on the planet except the EU makes anything. We all sit about all day saying oh how I wish we could have one of those car thingies from FrancoGerrmany etc.

I think Hyundai i30 and Kia Ceed were (and possibly still are) built in twin factories in the Czech Republic and Slovakia., not Korea

The possible uptake of British Cars - Brexit - RT

Almost the exact opposite. As most UK production is exported. With export tariffs to EU countries I would expect car production in the UK to fall off a cliff. Honda have already confirmed closure of Swindon plant in 2021.

Spin that a different way - Honda have confirmed closure of their European plant - not necessary now that Japan has a tariff-free deal with EU and the UK.

Don't blame Brexit for all ills!

With a bit of luck we won’t see many Grenadiers on the road now that they will be built in a France instead of the UK?

Surely they will have to change the name to reflect its heritage ?

The possible uptake of British Cars - Brexit - nick62

>>Surely they will have to change the name to reflect its heritage ?

The "Ratcliffe Pomegranate" has a certain ring?

Edited by nick62 on 15/12/2020 at 14:38

The possible uptake of British Cars - Brexit - catsdad

Grenadier is a French word used in several countries including, but not limited to, France and UK.

Inadvertently appropriate then?

The possible uptake of British Cars - Brexit - Andrew-T

Grenadier is a French word used in several countries including, but not limited to, France and UK.

Yes, and the meaning varies a lot. In this country it was about throwing grenades ....

The possible uptake of British Cars - Brexit - Metropolis.
It already has a nickname of the Ineos Gendarme on some Ineos Facebook pages. I am still interested in purchasing one, but I am very put off by their use of bmw engines. 1 for reliability (long term especially given their propensity to use plastic) and 2 for what they did to Rover.

Not building it in the UK might have been a wise choice to some bod on a spreadsheet, but they immediately lost their potentially most loyal market, old defender owners. I mean the proper ones that kept them 25 years+ who are totally abandoned and feel a bit conflicted in their new japanese pickups. Now it’s in the same category as the rest!
It already has a nickname of the Ineos Gendarme on some Ineos Facebook pages. I am still interested in purchasing one, but I am very put off by their use of bmw engines. 1 for reliability (long term especially given their propensity to use plastic) and 2 for what they did to Rover. Not building it in the UK might have been a wise choice to some bod on a spreadsheet, but they immediately lost their potentially most loyal market, old defender owners. I mean the proper ones that kept them 25 years+ who are totally abandoned and feel a bit conflicted in their new japanese pickups. Now it’s in the same category as the rest!

They may have lost a few people but most people interested in one would still want one no matter where they are built - you only need to look at the cars on the road that being built in the UK is not the thing most people are looking for.

The possible uptake of British Cars - Brexit - Avant

"With a bit of luck we won’t see many Grenadiers on the road now that they will be built in France instead of the UK?"

If they're going to be built in France using French electrics, we won't see many of them actually on the road.

I suppose they could have dione worse: if they'd stuck to building the Grenadier in the UK, they might have bought in some of JLR's.

The possible uptake of British Cars - Brexit - _

The only car that I "might" consider as british manufactured would be a half price Astra 2019 reg on autotrader..

Refuse anything JLR. Toyota not for me, Renaults made in sunderland, definitely no thanks, can;t afford RR Bentley/Morgan and LoTUS

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202008202735445?m...1

Has anyone noticed motorpoint have dropped the admin fees

Edited by _ORB_ on 15/12/2020 at 17:59

The possible uptake of British Cars - Brexit - sammy1

Surely they will have to change the name to reflect its heritage

The Musketeer! The whole thing might be abandoned if no deal.

How about renaming the car “Le Rosbif” ?

The possible uptake of British Cars - Brexit - _

How about renaming the car “Le Rosbif” ?

If it is french rosbif it'll be rare.... and if british it'll be overdone, dry, and well cooked, or another word that rhymes with cooked..

Surely they will have to change the name to reflect its heritage

The Musketeer! The whole thing might be abandoned if no deal.

If there is no deal then it will be a benefit having the production in France when selling to the EU countries.

The possible uptake of British Cars - Brexit - edlithgow

I suppose they could have dione worse:

Celine?

Celine?

Floor?

The possible uptake of British Cars - Brexit - Brit_in_Germany

Second?

If at first...

OK, she's lost the e. Picky, pickee

hypelifemagazine.com/celebrity-news/celine-dion-we.../

Wed 16 Dec 2020 00:10

Celine?

Or even “Deserter “ which would also be appropriate to the company owner !