Ford Fiesta - Bubbling coolant reserve following garage work - bighead752

So I've recently had a coolant leak repaired on my 2008 model Ford fiesta where the mechanic noted that the water pump and thermostat needed replacing. Having had those replaced and my car returned to me, the leak has stopped however the coolant has begun to boil/bubble after driving the ~30 minute journey to/from work (~20 miles each way).

The temperature on the dashboard reads as you would expect for such a short drive, however the coolant in the reservoir bubbles without failure on each journey. The radiator/fan does seem to kick in a lot sooner than it had ever done prior to the work, however.

I notified the mechanic who I had used in order for him to double check (as I thought it best seeing as though he would be aware of what he did/didn't touch when completing the work) and he gave it back to me stating that there were no signs of a drop in pressure in the coolant system and nothing to indicate any trapped air or suchlike. Now, I've taken this with a pinch of salt as he seemed sketchy during our first interactions (but that's a different story altogether) but I don't really want to ask another mechanic just to have to pay out for labor again when he/she decides to haul everything out to take a look at the water pump/thermostat that the original guy had supposedly replaced. Anybody have any ideas of what it could be? Any help/advice would be much appreciated as this could not have come at a worse time for me...

Ford Fiesta - Bubbling coolant reserve following garage work - blindspot

not sure. i would take cap off and run the engine and watch to see if it circulates when warm

Ford Fiesta - Bubbling coolant reserve following garage work - elekie&a/c doctor
The thermostat on these sits low down on the engine, so bleeding the cooling system can be a real pita . Is the heater working ok ? I suspect there is an air lock in the system.

The heater actually struggles quite badly after having the work done. It groans and makes a hell of a noise as soon as I put it on, but seems to get better after warming up. I'm not sure if it's just because of the colder weather, but it also seems less efficient in warming the car/clearing the misted windscreen.

Ford Fiesta - Bubbling coolant reserve following garage work - Andrew-T

Presumably - as you say the leak has stopped - the work has been done, unless you suspect he may have just thrown in some Radweld ? If so the coolant circuit will have been at least partially drained, with the possibility of residual airlocks somewhere such as the heater circuit. They should gradually dissipate as you drive the car, the air ending up in the overflow reservoir, so keep an eye on the level there. If running temp and everything else seem normal, fine.

I had the cambelt and pump renewed on my diesel car last year and found the reservoir empty when I got home - the techy just hadn't run the engine enough for the thermostat to open fully.

Ford Fiesta - Bubbling coolant reserve following garage work - edlithgow

Sounds like either an airlock (best guess) or a blown head gasket (worst case)

I've found it impossible to clear airlocks on my car by just running the engine with a funnel in the radiator (for expansion.)

I now disable the fan and let the coolant boil into the funnel a few times. This is alarming, dangerous and potentially damaging, but it seems less potentially damaging than normal driving with airlocks in the cooling system.

I believe you can buy vacuum fill devices to avoid this problem, which might be improvisable

I believe you can buy vacuum fill devices to avoid this problem, which might be improvisable

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QQHykK_RIw

Dunno if I'd buy one though, even if you could get them here. Pretty sure my cooling system has never been under significant vacuum and it might not thrive.

Nature is a mother, and abhors a vacuum.

Every cloud has a sooty lining, especially if its from China.

OTOH, Eric O's never had a problem, so it should be OK.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPMSzA2wOmw

Ford Fiesta - Bubbling coolant reserve following garage work - Gibbo_Wirral

renewed on my diesel car last year and found the reservoir empty when I got home - the techy just hadn't run the engine enough for the thermostat to open fully.

A lot don't realise there are sometimes two bleed points, or fail to run the engine at a higher speed than tickover

renewed on my diesel car last year and found the reservoir empty when I got home - the techy just hadn't run the engine enough for the thermostat to open fully.

A lot don't realise there are sometimes two bleed points, or fail to run the engine at a higher speed than tickover

I didn't realise there are sometimes two bleed points.

I did, however, realise that there are sometimes no bleed points, because I think that's all I've ever had on any of my cars. Can't remember it being a problem before.

I fail to run the engine at a higher speed than tickover, because I've found that running the engine at a higher speed than tickover on this car doesn't work.

With the scary boiling...er...method that I now use, I don't want to run the engine at a higher speed than tickover, because I dont want any more local heating (particularly around the exhaust valves, which are probably the area at greatest risk) than is necessary to get it to boil.

I suppose I could mist water into the air intake to slightly reduce the risk but there's a bit too much happening as it is.

Edited by edlithgow on 01/12/2020 at 14:12

The leak has definitely been repaired and despite the coolant bubbling after every trip to/from work, it doesn't look to have decreased in volume in the reservoir. The running temp (on the dashboard at least) seems to be normal, the only thing that's changed is that the fan boots in a lot sooner than it ever had done beforehand (I don't really expect it to have to come on for a 25 minute drive on residential roads). One thing I have noticed is that the fan doesn't seem to come on if I run the heater inside the car. Not entirely sure why this is, but in all honesty I know next to nothing about the internal workings of cars, hence why I went to a mechanic in the first place!

Ford Fiesta - Bubbling coolant reserve following garage work - Bolt

The leak has definitely been repaired and despite the coolant bubbling after every trip to/from work, it doesn't look to have decreased in volume in the reservoir. The running temp (on the dashboard at least) seems to be normal, the only thing that's changed is that the fan boots in a lot sooner than it ever had done beforehand (I don't really expect it to have to come on for a 25 minute drive on residential roads). One thing I have noticed is that the fan doesn't seem to come on if I run the heater inside the car. Not entirely sure why this is, but in all honesty I know next to nothing about the internal workings of cars, hence why I went to a mechanic in the first place!

Heater in a car acts the same as the radiator under the bonnet, which is why when the engine starts overheating its a help to use the heater in the car on max hot to help keep engine cooler

on older cars in the 70s 80s a lot of people when in town used to keep heater on hot even in summer to help keep engine cooler, modern cooling systems are more efficient usually...

The leak has definitely been repaired and despite the coolant bubbling after every trip to/from work, it doesn't look to have decreased in volume in the reservoir. The running temp (on the dashboard at least) seems to be normal, the only thing that's changed is that the fan boots in a lot sooner than it ever had done beforehand

That sounds to me the result of changing the thermostat. A petrol engine will usually open its thermostat after a couple of miles or five minutes, a diesel may take quite a bit longer. A thermostat may stick open or closed, or just react slowly.

Ford Fiesta - Bubbling coolant reserve following garage work - Gibbo_Wirral

Was the water pump definitely changed? If there's no leaking but overheating is possible the coolant isn't being circulated

Ford Fiesta - Bubbling coolant reserve following garage work - sammy1

Air locks not at all unusual in early Fiesta and very difficult to get rid. I had a similar problem years ago and finally cured it by running it up a very steep hill, not difficult finding steep hills in South Wales! If you are not loosing coolant it may clear itself overtime, keep the heater open

Air locks not at all unusual in early Fiesta and very difficult to get rid. I had a similar problem years ago and finally cured it by running it up a very steep hill, not difficult finding steep hills in South Wales! If you are not loosing coolant it may clear itself overtime, keep the heater open

I'd think there is a risk attached to the "it may clear itself over time " approach.

While you are waiting for this to happen, you are potentially running it up some very steep hills with an air pocket in the cylinder head, which is the highest point in the engine, and so most likely to have an air pocket.

Its also probably the hottest point in the engine, because its where the exhaust valves are, so its probably the point in the engine most likely to crack due to local heating.

I don't doubt that you could get away with it, but it seems to be asking for trouble.

Why ask for trouble?

Ford Fiesta - Bubbling coolant reserve following garage work - madf

Remove radiator cap when engine is cold. Check fluid level. If you cannot see any slowly top up till you can, Ensure car heater is switched to ON. - full on.

Squeeze lower large radiator hose sharply and let go.. repeat several times.

Check fluid level. If it has fallen , if yes, you have cleared some air. Top up.

When no level change, try top hose

Repeat with any hose you can.

That should clear any air locks.

Start engine leave to idle 30 minutes.

Wait till cool

Repeat.

Remove radiator cap when engine is cold. Check fluid level. If you cannot see any slowly top up till you can, Ensure car heater is switched to ON. - full on.

Check fluid level. If it has fallen , if yes, you have cleared some air. Top up.

Wait till cool

Repeat.

and repeat.

and repeat

and repeat

and then do something more effective.

(Depending on your car of course)

While you are waiting for this to happen, you are potentially running it up some very steep hills with an air pocket in the cylinder head, which is the highest point in the engine, and so most likely to have an air pocket.

Its also probably the hottest point in the engine, because its where the exhaust valves are, so its probably the point in the engine most likely to crack due to local heating.

IF the air pocket is stuck in the cylinder head then you will have an hot point whether you are running up hill or on the flat. The point of the water jacket is to take the heat away and is circulating all the time. How else would you get rid of air if trapped at the highest point of the engine other than by continually draining and refilling until by luck the thing cures itself.

How else would you get rid of air if trapped at the highest point of the engine other than by continually draining and refilling until by luck the thing cures itself.

If you are running up very steep hills you are putting a significant load on the engine, so the exhaust valve area is likely to get significantly hotter than it would at idle. If you have an air pocket in the cylinder head, this may not end well.

by luck the thing cures itself assumes good luck. There is another kind,

I've suggested two alternative methods

(a) Letting it boil at idle, which displaces the air with steam.

I've done this a few times now on the Skywing. I don't much like doing it, but I think its less risky than your suggested laissez faire air alternative.

I never did it before on previous cars, because I never needed to.

(b) Use a vacuum pump. This seems to be the "professional" fix to tricky fills (see video links above) so the OP could get them to do it.

I wouldn't do that, and I probably wouldn't buy the kit they use, but it should be possible to adapt another form of pump.

I have a couple of fridge compressors that I could try, but I'm getting used to the boiling method so I probably won't bother..

Edited by edlithgow on 04/12/2020 at 22:45

Ford Fiesta - Bubbling coolant reserve following garage work - Bolt

IF the air pocket is stuck in the cylinder head then you will have an hot point whether you are running up hill or on the flat. The point of the water jacket is to take the heat away and is circulating all the time. How else would you get rid of air if trapped at the highest point of the engine other than by continually draining and refilling until by luck the thing cures itself.

madf has the best idea and is usually very effective in stubborn air locks, if you mean literally emptying the system and refilling you will be doing it forever, as this engine is hard to bleed so best way is as mentioned....

Wait till cool

Repeat.

and repeat.

and repeat

and repeat

and then do something more effective.

(Depending on your car of course)

Well I have done it with success on:

Fiesta

Peugeoy 106

Yaris 1.4 d4d.

Audi A4

But I may just have been lucky . :-)

Ford Fiesta - Bubbling coolant reserve following garage work - blindspot

same here . it always worked on vauxhalls

same here . it always worked on vauxhalls

I daresay. But one can't conclude that, because it always worked on Vauxhalls, it will always work on everything.

In my limited experience, it worked on a Triumph 1300, an1800 Marina, a Mk1 Lada, a Renault 5 Campus, and a Nissan Sunny (or I've just been lucky).

(I didn't try it om my Sierra or Mazda 626)

It does not work on a Daihatsu Skywing (or I've just been unlucky.)

Boiling, OTOH, works on it every time (or I've just been lucky)

The Internyet has many instances of cars that are difficult, for which the pro fix is a vacuum pump. The vid link (a Jeep Liberty IIRC) I give above is just one example.

Edited by edlithgow on 04/12/2020 at 00:52

Just an update and another question;

The mechanic I used took another look at it today and has returned it to me stating that it is in fact a problem with the head, stating he ran some tests and found gas to be escaping and entering the coolant system. He has now offered a short term solution by saying he can apply some sort of leak repair stuff which requires the coolant system to be flushed then the additive put in with new coolant. Does anybody have any experience with this and if so, how long is it likely to withhold? My car is due to have it's MOT in February, how likely is it to pass this?

I'm still a little confused as to how the water pump and thermostat needing replacing has turned into the end of the car. If the problem was the head all along why did it only start doing this after the coolant leak had been fixed? I'm cynical about it but moreso annoyed, this couldn't have come at a worse time!

Ford Fiesta - Bubbling coolant reserve following garage work - paul 1963

Sounds to me the head gasket went a while back causing your initial leak?

I suspect there was nothing wrong with your water pump.

Ford Fiesta - Bubbling coolant reserve following garage work - elekie&a/c doctor
I’m not convinced it’s a head gasket problem. If it was , then you would experience loss of coolant out of the expansion tank and overheating . A job like this could come to nearly £1k . Don’t like the idea of leak stoppers unless you’ve actually got a leak . I’d be inclined to get a second opinion. If this is a 1.25 Zetec engine , then head gasket failure is rare on these .

If you are not loosing coolant I too doubt if you have a head gasket leak. Yes the garage can test for gases in the coolant but if you have a leak then if the gas comes out into the coolant then coolant would pass the same way when stationary. and be lost.

You can buy products in Halfords to seal leaks. There is no need to drain the coolant, just remove enough from the filler tank and add and follow the instructions. There is a lot of pressure in the cylinder head so how effective a seal you could get here is debateable,

If it were mine I would keep a close eye on the coolant. Your engine will only overheat if you loose a significant amount

Worst case then. Bad luck, but bad luck is never very surprising.

To the objections above, I'd guess the catch-all response would be "not necessarily".

IF exhaust gasses are appearing in the cooling system, your head, block or your head gasket are fairly definitively compromised, so IF your mechanic says he has done that test (its a chemical test kit) and you believe him, that seems to be that, unless that kit does false positives, which AFAIK it doesn't.

If you had a water pump failure its a fair bet you had overheating. Head gasket or head failure is a common consequence of overheating, so no big surprise there.

You might expect to lose coolant in the other direction, but this isn't guaranteed, since combustion pressures are far higher than pressures in the cooling system so could force gases through, say a fine crack opening when the engine is hot, while coolant might not go in the other direction.

If, say, you had a crack in the head at an exhaust valve, where you might expect one, that is also where you might expect an air pocket (see above ad nauseam) so there might be no coolant available to leak at rest.

The puzzling aspect is the leak stopper suggestion. AFAIK there's no leak stopper to seal from within the combustion chamber (There are goos that are supposed to restore some compression but I THINK they are supposed to seal the rings).

IF you aren''t losing'coolant, I don't quite see what the leak stopper is for. I suppose if an undetectable amount of coolant is passing into the combustion chamber some leak stopper would be drawn in too, but it doesn't seem very likely to seal against combustion pressures.

Edited by edlithgow on 10/12/2020 at 10:48

Ford Fiesta - Bubbling coolant reserve following garage work - RT

IF your mechanic says he has done that test (its a chemical test kit) and you believe him, that seems to be that, unless that kit does false positives, which AFAIK it doesn't.

The gas test on the coolant isn't infallible - the Hyundai dealer spent 18 months doing the test and denying any issue with the head gasket on my Santa Fe and only accepted it had blown after it "blew up" on the motorway and even then couldn't find the exact issue when they took the head off.

IF your mechanic says he has done that test (its a chemical test kit) and you believe him, that seems to be that, unless that kit does false positives, which AFAIK it doesn't.

The gas test on the coolant isn't infallible - the Hyundai dealer spent 18 months doing the test and denying any issue with the head gasket on my Santa Fe and only accepted it had blown after it "blew up" on the motorway and even then couldn't find the exact issue when they took the head off.

That'd be a false negative. Probably more likely than a false positive, which would require contamination with coolant or old test fluid

Does apparently happen though.

www.garagejournal.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-72...l

Ford Fiesta - Bubbling coolant reserve following garage work - galileo

If you are not loosing coolant I too doubt if you have a head gasket leak. Yes the garage can test for gases in the coolant but if you have a leak then if the gas comes out into the coolant then coolant would pass the same way when stationary. and be lost.

You can buy products in Halfords to seal leaks. There is no need to drain the coolant, just remove enough from the filler tank and add and follow the instructions. There is a lot of pressure in the cylinder head so how effective a seal you could get here is debateable,

If it were mine I would keep a close eye on the coolant. Your engine will only overheat if you loose a significant amount

Be aware that 'leak sealers' can reduce the efficiency of the radiator core by reducing the area of small coolant passages: this can lead to overheating even when it wasn't happening before. Leak sealers are a temporary fix for radiator leaks, not really for head gasket failures.

Be aware that 'leak sealers' can reduce the efficiency of the radiator core by reducing the area of small coolant passages: this can lead to overheating even when it wasn't happening before. Leak sealers are a temporary fix for radiator leaks, not really for head gasket failures.

Well, you can buy stuff for head gasket failures. Some of them have copper (powder?) in them, which I'd guess is an inert-ish particulate filler. Active ingredient seems claimed as sodium silicate here.

barsleaks.com/product/liquid-copper-1109/

barsleaks.com/product/head-gasket-fix-1111/

That'd make me nervous (think "sand-in-the-cylinder") but I suppose if you feel lucky... I rather doubt they'd seal against combustion pressure though.

Edited by edlithgow on 11/12/2020 at 04:39

My car is due to have it's MOT in February, how likely is it to pass this?

I THINK MOT won't care unless it affects emissions / prevents testing

It'll only do that if it leaks coolant into the combustion chamber, or blows its coolant out / overheats during testing.

Edited by edlithgow on 10/12/2020 at 11:47

My car is due to have it's MOT in February, how likely is it to pass this?

MoT's are about roadworthiness, i.e. danger to public and yourself: parts wearing with possible sudden failure. So all being equal, your coolant problem is probably irrelevant.

If it is blowing hot water into the engine bay, the tester may refuse to test it as unsafe.

If it is blowing hot water into the engine bay, the tester may refuse to test it as unsafe.

Have we been told that is happening ?

Have we been told that is happening ?

Eaux contraire. We've been told that it isn't

<< Eaux contraire. We've been told that it isn't. >>

Are these contrary waters related to the topic under discussion ? :-)

Ford Fiesta - Bubbling coolant reserve following garage work - John F

Right at the beginning of this thread I suspected CHG failure. I think paul 1963 (post above) is spot on. The symptoms described are a classic example of a tiny defect appearing. It is only when it gets bigger that the signs become more obvious with expulsion of coolant and/or the oil appearing as mayonnaise on the dipstick. It is possible that the garage wanted a bit of easy remunerative work to do. Unless it is spouting steam it should not fail the MoT inspection.

""Right at the beginning of this thread I suspected CHG failure.""

Ahem...Now you tell us...

Post number 6, OTOH...

"It is possible that the garage wanted a bit of easy remunerative work to do."

Such cynicism, and in ones so young..

IIRC, the OP did not tell us the reasons for the water pump replacement, referring only to a coolant leak, but the reservoir blowing was said to follow-on from it,

The most obvious valid reason for replacing a water pump would be an overheating incident due to actual or suspected water pump failure .

IF there was an overheating incident, perhaps actually due to the coolant loss, or the other way around, that would be the probable cause of a subsequent head gasket failure or other head or block damage. Conspiracy theories are not required.

If there was no overheating, the water pump replacement is a bit suspect, but is unlikely to have caused a head gasket failure, which seems to be suspected by the OP.

I try and be as cynical about garages as the next man, (though/so/because I have hardly ever used them apart from MOT's) BUT I think the innocent-until-serious-grounds-for-suspicion principle ought to be applied.

Edited by edlithgow on 12/12/2020 at 00:18

Nifty physical test for HG failure. I dunno if that would work with a lower tech pressure gauge (or even an improvised manometer) but it seems a possibility. Difficult bit would be getting a good seal.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ify7mvFKQZs

That's a very broken car though. Might not be sufficiently sensitive for a marginal integrity loss.

.......That's a very broken car though. Might not be sufficiently sensitive for a marginal integrity loss.

Just so. Early insidious CHG failure with tiny escapes of compressed gas will not be detected by a compression test. If a garage is lulled into a sense of CHG security it might well embark on a futile exploration of other causes of coolant misbehaviour, needlessly replacing water pump, thermostat, etc. Even a coolant chemical test might give a false negative if a tiny defect is acting as a one way valve and sucking coolant into the cylinder rather than blowing exhaust gas out into the coolant. But if the coolant was 'bubbling' I assume a chemical rather than a compression test would be the one to do. Has it been done?

Its not really a compression tester as the term is usually used. Its testing for radiator pressurisation, with a FSD of 5 psi, so it'd be more sensitive to damage than a compression test, but perhaps still not sensitive enough.

OP says his black hand says "he ran some tests and found gas to be escaping and entering the coolant system."

I'd assume that'd be the chemical test for CO2, because I'd assume its commoner, but "some tests" isn't a specific description.

I like the idea of a physical test because I might be able to lash one up, and I doubt I'd be able to get the chemical kit here.

I've had 2 or 3 serious overheating incidents due to failed repairs on the fan control circuit, so I'm expecting a head gasket failure.

Edited by edlithgow on 12/12/2020 at 12:51

Right at the beginning of this thread I suspected CHG failure. I think paul 1963 (post above) is spot on. The symptoms described are a classic example of a tiny defect appearing.

Head gaskets can start to leak between different spaces. One of my previous cars began to show traces of oil in the coolant reservoir, but my (very experienced) indy told me his test for HGF was negative. However I had the gasket renewed which cured the problem. I presume a leak between water and oil circuits generated no measurable pressure.

Would of course generate no exhaust CO2 in the cooling system either.

Going by the radiator cap pressure in the cooling system is likely to be lower than oil pressure, so you might not get much coolant going the other way, plus coolant in the oil will probably be less visible, initially at least.

Probably potentially the most damaging consequence if not addressed though.

Sorry to res this post but I figured it would be better than creating a new one.

Further to my last post, the bubbling coolant has continued but in all honesty I am not too fussed as long as the car can last me another 3-4 months. My main concern is that if I drive it without the internal fan on to accommodate for some of the extra heat, the temperature of the engine (on the dashboard, at least) begins to very slowly climb above 90 degrees. It remains on 90 if I keep the fan on, but the engine fan creates a hell of a noise (not that it matters if it is working). Now it is getting towards summer I am starting to get fed up of absolutely roasting in my car every time I go to/from work so am looking for an answer, however, given my problems with previous mechanics and the fact that I have already paid out a few hundred pounds on this issue I wanted to ask the advice of you guys before having a paid mechanic come and look again.

As well as the temperature issue, the engine seems to start struggling, stuttering/jerking a little when I am pulling away from idle or accelerating (particularly in low gears) after I have been driving for about 20-25mins, although varies depending on how hot of a day it is so I assume this relates to overheating? The motion is similar to that when you're close to stalling but not quite as bad yet. A colleague has suggested that it could be head gasket related, however this was previously ruled out by a mechanic (and I have hoped and prayed that it isn't as I don't want it to conk out entirely one day on my way to work/home). Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am desperately trying to keep the car going until Sept/Oct when I will be looking to replace it altogether.

I apologise for posting in the same thread and will create a new one if necessary.

Ford Fiesta - Bubbling coolant reserve following garage work - Xileno

No need to start a new thread, this is a continuation of the existing fault.

I'm not sure you are going to get any further beyond the helpful replies already received. My money's still on HGF but that's an expensive job if it's wrong. Given you intend replacing the car in a few months I would just carry on using it and invest in some more shorts and T-shirts when driving.

Only reasonably practical desperate improvisation I can think of would be removing the thermostat. This will potentially increase circulation in the cooling circuit, allowing it to remove more heat.

It will however, also slow your engines warmup times, and if you’ve got any starting difficulties now, perhaps from a bit of coolant getting into the cylinders, they’ll probably get worse. This may be tolerable, at least for the summer.

(Note that I’m assuming a “classic” mechanical thermostat here. If its something more modern, perhaps controlled via satellite downlink from a CIA Cray Supercomputer at Langley, this may not be possible.)

Beyond that all I can think of, assuming you’ve checked that your radiator fan is working, that the radiator itself is clear, and you have carefully straightened any bent cooling fins, would be fitting a second fan, which might be difficult or impossible.

You can sometimes score extra cooling using the aircon fan (I ran my Sierra using the aircon fan only for a while) but I assume if you had one you would already be using it

You can of course improve your personal cooling a bit with various supplementary fan and evaporative solutions. Look up “swamp cooler” if interested, though I doubt you want to get quite that elaborate.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_cooler

Clarkson cut holes in his classic Range Rover bonnet on the Bolivia Special to ameliorate an overheating problem, but that would affect resale. Less permanently you could remove the whole bonnet, but I donno how legal that would be in the famously anal UK.

(Its a vehicle modification, so by definition it would be illegal in Taiwan)

Edited by edlithgow on 09/06/2021 at 04:51

Ford Fiesta - Bubbling coolant reserve following garage work - bathtub tom

Only reasonably practical desperate improvisation I can think of would be removing the thermostat. This will potentially increase circulation in the cooling circuit, allowing it to remove more heat.

Not necessarily a good idea. A colleague did this on a Maxi many years ago, resulting in engine damage. The theory being that the back pressure caused by the t/stat evens the flow around the engine. Removing it allowed the coolant to circulate around the path of least resistance, causing overheating elsewhere.

Apart from my above contributions, I thought of something else. Has the cambelt been changed recently - and badly? I doubt if the Fiesta has variable valve timing, which can vary by more than 30 degrees in more sophisticated engines. Assuming a camshaft sprocket has about 46 teeth, if it's a tooth or two out that could mean an eight or sixteen degree timing error applied to the valves the camshaft controls. I assume it's a DOHC arrangement so it could be either the inlet or exhaust valves if just one sprocket is awry. This might explain why the engine struggles and overheats.

I remember a similar problem over fifty years ago with my mother's Triumph 1300, which gradually lacked power and got hot quickly. The distributor mounting had slipped so the spark was many degrees out of synch with the valves.

Edited by John F on 09/06/2021 at 15:08

Not necessarily a good idea. A colleague did this on a Maxi many years ago, resulting in engine damage. The theory being that the back pressure caused by the t/stat evens the flow around the engine. Removing it allowed the coolant to circulate around the path of least resistance, causing overheating elsewhere.

I can’t say that doesn’t happen, but I would have thought it was fairly unusual, since thermostat removal is/was quite a common bodge/workaround for overheating problems.

I suppose you could “tune” it with a blanking plate with a hole in it, to provide less but still some restriction.

The OP is unlikely to want to bother with that though, especially as he already has some blowing from the coolant reservoir so couldn’t easily detect any local boiling due to modification.

Flushing the radiator might improve its cooling a bit.

IF the water pump is belt driven, I suppose it might be possible to change the pulley to increase the pumping rate, but I doubt it would be worth the trouble.

Edited by edlithgow on 10/06/2021 at 10:33