Ford Galaxy mk2 - Over Voltage problem - John Fewell
I have a 2012 Ford Galaxy, it has been regularly serviced and has a touch under 55000 miles on the clock. I have recently been having intermittent problems the engine cuts out and the dashboard electrics go blank. When they do come back on I get a message saying Overvoltage please stop. I stop car and switch it back on a minute later and it works like nothing has ever happened. I took it to SMC fords for a diagnostic check and there are no fault Codes comping back. They suggested replacing the battery which they did however less than 24 hours after they did this I get the same problems again.

Recently the car has had a new clutch, new fuel injectors, new fan control module, and had the coolant system replaced on a Ford recall. I love the car it’s got low mileage but I can’t keep shelling out to keep it running.

Does anyone have any idea ?
Ford Galaxy mk2 - Over Voltage problem - brum

I had a 94 Golf. The alternator developed a fault, probably the voltage regulator part, it started overcharging uncontrollably, at first intermittently, but shortly it was doing it all the time. Battery voltage rose as high as 17 volts, headlights were super bright, the battery started to boil and spill acid.(lots of damage to the tray and nearby body work. New alternator fixed the problem although a new regulator might have done it cheaper, (assuming one of the brushes located on the regulator is worn to limit or stuck)

Similar problem on my 1978 Saab 99, overvoltage cooking battery and super bright headlights. This had the old 2 relay regulator which I tried to adjust without success. In the end it was one of the small discrete diodes (out of 6) that fed the regulator.(Not the main rectifiers).Managed to replace the diode and fixed it.

Both cases using a mulitmeter showed high voltage (>16 volts) when revving the engine. The voltage should not exceed approx 14.3-14.5volts on your car.

So I would say its a duff aternator/regulator and being a modern car compared to those I've mentioned, will detect the fault and shut down the car to protect the many electronics fitted.Depending on Alternator fitted, the regulator part is usually fairly easy (but not always) to remove and replace located at the back end of the alternator.

You could always try an alternator from a breakers.

Ford Galaxy mk2 - Over Voltage problem - elekie&a/c doctor
This Ford uses a intelligent/ smart charge system that can run the charging voltage to approx 15.8 volts without any issues. It looks very likely to be an alternator fault , but could be difficult to prove if it’s an intermittent problem.
Ford Galaxy mk2 - Over Voltage problem - mss1tw

Honda motorbikes of a certain era (Bear with me) are known for cooking their electrical systems not due to the alternator but due to the regulator/rectifier. Nowadays I imagine the technology has moved on (We fitted MOSFET units) but I suppose anything can fail.