Audi A2 - Ebay auctions - Brian 99

Im considering buying a car on ebay. Dose anyone know what rights I have?

The buyer would like payment in cash. Would I be entitled to a test drive?

Could I refuse purchase if I was not pleased?

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks, Brian.

Audi A2 - Ebay auctions - Steveieb

Join the A2 owners. Club immediately and ask the members advise about this car including the advert details.

Brilliant load of enthusiasts and the club has cars for sale. Much safer option. But bear in mind that these cars are badly made, are getting on in age and can as in my experience can end up as a money pit.

Try and find a 1.4 petrol and avoid the sky roof which is known to be trouble if not maintained.

Audi A2 - Ebay auctions - badbusdriver

Bear in mind too that the aluminium bodywork is going to be much dearer to fix in the event of a parking shunt (or worse). Also, try to avoid cars with the bigger alloy wheels as the ride is pretty harsh.

Audi A2 - Ebay auctions - Terry W

I would not buy a car of this age without a test drive. You need to ask the seller and be prepared to drive there.

There may be some comeback through Ebay if the car is mis-described but don't count on success. More important is what is left out of the description!

Audi A2 - Ebay auctions - Andrew-T

I would not buy a car of this age without a test drive. You need to ask the seller and be prepared to drive there.

When I sell a car privately (doesn't often happen) I offer to take the buyer for a few miles test drive, with me driving. If your seller won't do that, go elsewhere.

Audi A2 - Ebay auctions - mcb100
This is my understanding.
Is the car coming from a trader? If it is, or even suspected to be, by insisting on cash he/she is removing you from the protection of distance selling regulations, with a 14 day refund policy.
If you were to pay for it without having visited their premises, distance selling applies. Pay for it having been on the premises and you’ve less protection.
Equally, the seller is trying to protect themselves from you as the buyer lodging a dispute with PayPal and reclaiming the payment.
If it’s a private seller, then it’s buyer beware however you pay, as far as I’m aware.
Nobody is entitled to a test drive - it’s their car and they can choose who does or doesn’t drive it. If a test drive is not offered, or refused, it would make me wonder what’s wrong, but that is the vendor’s call.
A good explanation here - www.am-online.com/dealer-management/retailing/winn...w

Edited by mcb100 on 10/11/2020 at 22:41

Audi A2 - Ebay auctions - sammy1

Many sales on Ebay appear to go wrong and the sight is becoming more of a window of introduction like Autotrader. Look carefully where the car is as the distance to travel and maybe be disappointed is worth considering. Look at the seller info and feedback on the advertiser. If buying from a dealer you have normal buyers rights and you would be foolish to part with any money without viewing and driving the same as you would locally. If you bid and win at auction you may feel that you are obligated to buy, but its your money so communicate with the seller drive the car and inspect the cars condition and HPI checks. As with other areas of the trade there are rouges operating on Ebay. If you do not want to pay dealer prices then look at private sales on Autotrader or similar and use common sense

Audi A2 - Ebay auctions - madf

I looked at buying an A2 nearly 10 years ago.

Bear in mind, at that tome many cars were over 10 years old.

I drove a NEW one when they were launched.

Choppy ride, poor rear vision and on my car - a car which refused to go into second gear until the engine was warm. And this was a NEW doemonstrator!

Do NOT buy a diesel one.

Watch for lack of love: signs of a dirty engine and or interior? Run away

No service history? Run away

Panoramic roof £000s when it goes wrong - and they do leak badly or jam

Don't know much about cars? Do not buy without help from a friend who does

Read the A2 forum.

Audi charge a lot for some spares. If you cannot DIY I suggest you don't buy unless you get an immaculate one and have it carefully checked.

Audi A2 - Ebay auctions - Steveieb

My sentiments completely Ma***

But I fell in love with the concept even though I was warned not to by an Audi colleague.

The shape , the colour the interior room , I got carried away and the next morning I woke up with diesel oil all over the drive where the oil filler pipe leaked. New one from Germany cost £120 and four days delivery. Struck up a friendship with the parts supervisor at Audi who were brilliant but for ever draining my bank account.

These are cars for the home mechanic who like to spend their lives on the drive underneath the car . There is never a moment of peace.

I thought I had bought a bad one, which i obviously did but when I got the view from the trade it became apparent that many dealers refuse to deal with them.

The ride and short wheelbase make you long for the journeys end.

Such a shame as the concept is brilliant. Audi lost about £4K on each one so I imagine they went about cost saving on the components.

I can’t stress enough enlist the help of the A2 club . They are brilliant and can help you avoid the mistakes that I made.