Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003 - Adaptor for tyre pup compressor - bluenun

I have a plug in tyre inflator/compressor that plugs into the cigarette lighter port of the car and would like the option of being able to use the compressor using a 240 socket in the garage.

Is there such an adaptor I can buy to plug into the garage socket so that I can plug the compressor cigarette lighter fitting into it?

I found this but assume it is not suitable for the compressor which operates from a 12V connection.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-240...8

Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003 - Adaptor for tyre pup compressor - Chris M

Agree it would sometimes be useful to power a tyre pump from a mains socket e.g. pumping up the cycle tyres. However, that adaptor you have linked to is simply not man enough. My pump states it's max 85w, so far in excess of the 6w max. available. Or about 7 Amps compared to 600 mA.

I'd also be very concerned leaving a £3.85 (inc postage!) adaptor unattended.

Edited by Chris M on 06/11/2020 at 08:39

Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003 - Adaptor for tyre pup compressor - Galaxy

You'll probably need something like this:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10A-Cigarette-Lighter-Socket-24...g

However, do check exactly how much current your tyre pump actually takes before buying anything. The example I've given is 10 amps which equates to 120 watts. If your pump draws 10 amps or less current then this adaptor should be fine.

Edited by Galaxy on 06/11/2020 at 09:08

Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003 - Adaptor for tyre pup compressor - John F

These gizmos never seem to last long. For years now I have used a bicycle track pump. Hammer a small nail into each tyre to create slow punctures so you can benefit from regular healthy exercise.

Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003 - Adaptor for tyre pup compressor - edlithgow

GF got me a Xiaomi digital pump, all high tech and designery. Very neat unit, with presets and a light. The iPhone knockoff of air pumps.

www.amazon.com/Xiaomi-Portable-Compressor-Detectio...Q

Actually that's unfair. I rather hate the iPhone, while I quite like this, but I doubt its durability.

Its also USB charged battery powered - which is rather pointless in a car context but I suppose makes it usable with bikes, and, more importantly, marketable to iPhone afficianados.

(I love the irony of the "Universal" in Universal Serial Bus, given the coral reef diversity of its connectors. Always new species to be discovered)

The wee 2HP compressor I salvaged now runs and blows but needs a new compression fitting olive. I've been to a few industrial suppliers who gave me the "alien technology" look when shown this absolutely standard industrial fitting, which came off a Taiwan made compressor.

I wouldn't have believed this before travel broadened (or is it narrowed?) my mind.

Might be time to do something with those salvaged fridge compressors.

Edited by edlithgow on 07/11/2020 at 01:06

Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003 - Adaptor for tyre pup compressor - bluenun

Thank-you for the replies.

It is for my car tyres, I thought I would rather plug into the mains that draw from the car battery.

Thanks for the link, I will have a read of the paperwork that came with the compressor to see if it is suitable.

Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003 - Adaptor for tyre pup compressor - Andrew-T

It is for my car tyres, I thought I would rather plug into the mains that draw from the car battery.

Unless you have a few slow punctures I doubt that an occasional top-up will have much impact on your battery if it's reasonably healthy. Mine doesn't anyway. I suppose if you are still dubious you could idle the engine while using the compressor ... :-)

Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003 - Adaptor for tyre pup compressor - RT

I have a 20A power supply which gives 12v from the mains - it's used primarily to run a coolbox when we stay in hotels with no fridge.

For tyre inflation, my main inflator is high power and connects to the car battery with crocodile clips - I also have a low power inflator which uses cigar lighter sockets.

Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003 - Adaptor for tyre pup compressor - jc2

Run the engine while you're doing it-that will keep the battery charged.

Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003 - Adaptor for tyre pup compressor - RT

An engine at idle speed produces very little current.

Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003 - Adaptor for tyre pup compressor - edlithgow

Charge the battery while you're doing it-that will...er.. keep the battery charged.

Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003 - Adaptor for tyre pup compressor - galileo

In the days when dynamos were the standard, this was certainly the case, was it not claimed that alternators provided adequate output at lower rpm?

Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003 - Adaptor for tyre pup compressor - madf

In the days when dynamos were the standard, this was certainly the case, was it not claimed that alternators provided adequate output at lower rpm?

Yes an it is true.

But modern fuel saving methods delay battery charging for lots of reasons including cold engine etc.

Ford Focus 1.6 auto 2003 - Adaptor for tyre pup compressor - galileo

Yes an it is true.

But modern fuel saving methods delay battery charging for lots of reasons including cold engine etc.

What a boon these emissions and tax reducing schemes are to the motorist, save 0.1% of fuel with a bonus of more frequent flat batteries.