UK bans any use of mobile phones while driving - Warning

www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/oct/17/uk-bans...g

I hold the phone in my hands whilst driving. I do use the phone for sat nav and sometimes for music (and occasionally internet radio). In my car, there is a place I keep it, but it is n't a dedicated car mount (I see to recall the phone had to be in a cradle).

However, if a phone call comes in can people take it hands-free on speaker?

I do have a headset, but I don't wear one, unless I am expecting a call (e.g. picking Mrs W from the station).

Edited by Warning on 18/10/2020 at 10:29

UK bans any use of mobile phones while driving - gordonbennet

Its updating the law to prevent all uses of phones for almost any purpose whilst held in the hand.

Phones can still be used for making and receiving calls so long as the phone is in a cradle, also can be used for satnav.

Its always been the case that if using even a hands free phone causes your driving to be careless or dangerous the police can nick you, that isn't changing, they are just tightening up some of the possible get outs a clever/expensive lawyer could wriggle their well heeled clients with.

What they're going to do about the myriad of other toys drivers are constantly playing with on ever larger dash mounted screens is the question that should be being asked.

UK bans any use of mobile phones while driving - Bolt

Its updating the law to prevent all uses of phones for almost any purpose whilst held in the hand.

Phones can still be used for making and receiving calls so long as the phone is in a cradle, also can be used for satnav.

Its always been the case that if using even a hands free phone causes your driving to be careless or dangerous the police can nick you, that isn't changing, they are just tightening up some of the possible get outs a clever/expensive lawyer could wriggle their well heeled clients with.

What they're going to do about the myriad of other toys drivers are constantly playing with on ever larger dash mounted screens is the question that should be being asked.

Very much doubt anything will happen, we do not have the Police to stop the amount of drivers using mobile phones in the hand, everywhere you look someone is holding one and in a lot of cases Texting, or using a map in the hand.

UK bans any use of mobile phones while driving - Warning

LOL. I meant to say "I DON'T hold the phone in my hands whilst driving. "

UK bans any use of mobile phones while driving - RT

LOL. I meant to say "I DON'T hold the phone in my hands whilst driving. "

Phew!

UK bans any use of mobile phones while driving - Andrew-T

Is it, or will it still be, legal to use a hand-held phone while parked or with the engine off ?

UK bans any use of mobile phones while driving - sammy1

Apparently you will be able to use your phone in a drive through takeaway so parked should be fine.

UK bans any use of mobile phones while driving - Galaxy

Is it, or will it still be, legal to use a hand-held phone while parked or with the engine off ?

At present it isn't - You have to be out of the car so as not to be deemed to be in control of the vehicle.

Hopefully, with the law being rewritten, this will be changed to being permissible when parked with the engine switched off.

It would make much more sense!

UK bans any use of mobile phones while driving - Bromptonaut

At present it isn't - You have to be out of the car so as not to be deemed to be in control of the vehicle.

That's not the case. As long as you're parked, engine off etc, then calls are legal.

As GB says the change is to deal with the increase in phone functions beyond 'interactive communication specified in the last round of legislation. Main objective is to deal with filming while driving and use of game apps.

Still only applies if you're actually holding the handset. If it's in a cradle or elsewhere but integrated using Bluetooth or similar you're fine. I've recently discovered, having Bluetooth on all the time for the Covid App, that my phone integrates with the Fabia and that I can make/receive calls from it's touchscreen, sound through the speakers and presumably there's a mike somewhere.

UK bans any use of mobile phones while driving - Middleman

Very much doubt anything will happen, we do not have the Police to stop the amount of drivers using mobile phones in the hand, everywhere you look someone is holding one and in a lot of cases Texting, or using a map in the hand.

What it will do is remove the need for the prosecution to prove that the phone was being used for "interactive communication." This case in April 2019 reinforced what was written in the legislation (which makes it surprising that nobody had challenged it previously):

www.judiciary.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/19-07-...f

Do you? You have to be "driving" to be guilty of the offence. You can be inside a vehicle but not driving.