Ford Fiesta - Headlights turn only turn on when switched off - Philip Jeffery

I have automatic headlights on my car so never normally have to make any adjustments with them, but the other night I went out in my car at night time and noticed the headlights weren't working at all, only the sidelights were working. The headlights were switched to automatic, I then changed them to the "On" position, but that made no difference. The strange bit is that if I switched the headlights to the "Off" position the headlights turned on.

Does anyone have any suggestions what could be causing the issue?

Not sure if its relevant but I barely use the car any longer, I had a completely flat battery about a year ago as it hadn't been used in so long. I've tried to take it out every now and again just to stop this happening again. I'm not sure if this would be related.

Thanks for any help you can provide

Ford Fiesta - Headlights turn only turn on when switched off - elekie&a/c doctor
What age is the car ? Does it have auto wipers ? If so , do they work correctly?

It's a 2013 Ford Fiesta Titanium, it does have automatic windscreen wipers and they work correctly.

Ford Fiesta - Headlights turn only turn on when switched off - elekie&a/c doctor
Flat battery may have caused the system to get confused. I would disconnect the battery for 10 mins and retry . Are both dip beam bulbs definitely working ? The lights that came on could have been the main beams

I'll give disconnecting the battery a try.

Definitely the dipped beam that isn't working, as I can switch the main beams on/off and they arer working correctly

Ford Fiesta - Headlights turn only turn on when switched off - FiestaOwner

I'll give disconnecting the battery a try.

Definitely the dipped beam that isn't working, as I can switch the main beams on/off and they arer working correctly

Sounds like both dipped beam bulbs are blown.

Suspect when you turn your light switch off that it's your daytime running lights that are coming on and not your dipped beam.

Change both your dipped beam bulbs (these might be dual filament, ie your DRL's work on the other filament).