mazda 6 or something else - What used car to buy under £12k - jivemonkey

Hi Guys,

I need a new car, since my mondeo is on its way out after many years. I do about 20000 a year as my job involves driving around. I need to tow a caravan sometimes and get my dogs in the boot.

Priorities are reliability comfort and decent drive with enough guts to overtake decently. Saloon/estate or SUV

Budget about 12k

Open to suggestions as struggling

I have shortlisted with thoughts

suzuki vitara.. but small? heard noisy on motorway

honda crv... seems boring to drive?

kia sportage.. but the ex wife has one

. mazda 6, love it and leaning towards one but heard reliability apparently not good

hyundai tucson and seat ateca.

Appreciate its quite a list and open to suggestions as none of the above standing out and I don't claim to be knowledgeable about cars. I looked at BMW, jag and audi... but told repair costs can be painful and I clock up the miles

Live in Sussex and looked at a few cars but thinking private purchase as been burnt by used car dealers in the past, including the current car which developed a number of expensive faults not long after purchase.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Edited by jivemonkey on 14/10/2020 at 06:38

mazda 6 or something else - What used car to buy under £12k - nellyjak

Toyota.!....Avensis..Saloon or Touring estate.?.....Rav 4.?....well, you did mention reliability.

mazda 6 or something else - What used car to buy under £12k - barney100

Volvo V70 diesel. Swallows dogs, decent mpg and quite nice to drive, except poor turning circle.

mazda 6 or something else - What used car to buy under £12k - pd

As OP would be looking at the last of the line examples of the 3rd generation V70 the turning circle is just fine.

I suspect something from the Volvo range even if not a V70 would tick most of the boxes.

I looked at Volvos but they seem to score quite low on a reliability Index.

Apparently it's because the repairs are massively expensive?

mazda 6 or something else - What used car to buy under £12k - badbusdriver

No problem with Mazda 6 reliability so long as you stick to the petrol.

Not exactly over endowed with torque though.

mazda 6 or something else - What used car to buy under £12k - SLO76
I wouldn’t have anything on that shortlist for your requirements. If a good drive is desired then SUV’s like the CRV are largely off the list. I’d favour a large hatch or estate and one that springs to mind is the Mondeo which is generally very robust with either the 1.5 Ecoboost petrol or the 2.0 TDCi diesels as long as you avoid the fragile Powershift automatic gearboxes. These are comfy, good to drive, spacious and decent on fuel. It’s all good news as far as I’m concerned.

The Mazda 6 would be great if the diesels were reliable but they’re not and sadly the 2.0 Skyactiv petrol although utterly reliable is a bit lacking in low speed pull to suit towing. Worth a try of one to see what you think though as they’re outstanding big cars.

The Avensis is a bit dull compared to the two above and the BMW diesel motors won’t offer better reliability than the PSA motor in the Mondeo. I’ve little fear of them mind if looked after properly.

I’d agree that prestige brands would be best avoided but a good 2015 on Audi A4 2.0 diesel can make a good buy at the right money. You do want to avoid anything caught up in the emissions scandal recall though as they’re prone to EGR valve issues. The autos are best avoided too. A post 2015 Passat Estate again manual isn’t a bad car either.

All things equal I’d probably have a Mondeo here.

thanks for the advice, appreciated. Will try the petrol mazda. Will it be good for higher miles as usually run my cars to 150 to 200k?

will look at the A4 too, like audi, just have a fear of massive repair bils!

won't get another mondeo, mine has been good to drive and decent on fuel but had lots of problems and electrical issues which has put me off them.

mazda 6 or something else - What used car to buy under £12k - kiss (keep it simple)

The Mazda petrol engine is durable. Don't skimp on oil changes and it should be good for over 200k. Not sure how all the clever skyactive stuff will last. My last Mazda was a mk1 which I sold at 158k. Engine running well but had a couple of dents which made it look tatty. Present one is a mk2 with the direct injection engine which has just over 100k, still running well so far touch wood.

mazda 6 or something else - What used car to buy under £12k - tanvir

What about a Skoda Octavia/Superb?

thanks for the advice, appreciated. Will try the petrol mazda. Will it be good for higher miles as usually run my cars to 150 to 200k?

will look at the A4 too, like audi, just have a fear of massive repair bils!

won't get another mondeo, mine has been good to drive and decent on fuel but had lots of problems and electrical issues which has put me off them.

You were probably just a bit unlucky with the last Mondeo, I’ve never had any electrical issues with any I’ve flogged and most were older but fair enough, the Mazda is a great option and is certainly much better built but it’s not the best tow car due to the lack of torque and don’t let yourself be talked into the diesel as they’re appallingly fragile. Mazda just can’t do diesels. The petrol will do 40mpg plus easy enough and 50 plus on a run anyway. The estate is the better option for resale and for day to day practicality but they’re harder to find especially in petrol form as owners tend to keep them. There’s little to say that’s negative, I had one on my recent shopping list too but couldn’t find a good example and the wife favoured a Volvo. On that point an S60 or V60 D5 or petrol may be a good option. They’re well made, comfy and come with plenty of spec. Just again avoid the autos as most use Ford’s awful Powershift box.
mazda 6 or something else - What used car to buy under £12k - Avant

You can justify a diesel with the mileage you do. I'd go for a Skoda Octavia or Superb (Superb is the same size as the Mondeo, Octavia slightly smaller but still very roomy), with the 2.0 diesel engine. and a manual gearbox to give it more zing.

mazda 6 or something else - What used car to buy under £12k - moward

Hi jivemonkey. If it’s of any help, I own a 2016 petrol Mazda 6 Sport Estate with the 165 BHP engine variant, which I have had for just over two years now. Some observations I can share are:

MPG: I average about 45 on a mix of A and B road driving. Best I’ve had is 53 on a gentle motorway cruise at about 62 mph (100 kph) between Belfast and Dublin (about 200 mile round trip).

Tyres. mine are 19” dia wheels with a somewhat unusual size so tyre prices can be a bit on the high side. My first set of Bridgestone all seasons were around £190 per corner. Choice has improved since then and the same ones are about £160 now. Plenty of summer tyres available for around the £100 mark if all seasons make your eyes water. Alternatively a set of 17’s should have cheaper rubber options.

Reliability: perhaps too early to tell on a sub 5 year old car but I have had little to complain about. No warnings or dashboard lights and nothing has worn out and needed fixing. Auto folding mirrors were both replaced under warranty, no quibbles.

Mazda spare wheels are a bit of a rip off at over £300 for the kit. Note however that the 16” space saver from a Hyundai i40 fits perfectly and can be had much cheaper on eBay. I got one for just under £90, complete with toolkit.

Do not let the posts above decrying lack of torque put you off. The headline torque figure at the crank is only one part of the equation as it is torque at the wheels that moves a vehicle. The gearbox bit in between takes care of this. My own personal experience is that the engine feels strong and lively in the lower gears due to some well chosen ratio’s. however whilst I have a towbar fitted to mine, I’ve not tried pulling a caravan.

If there’s anything in particular that you would like to know about these cars, please feel free to ask below and I will try to answer.

Best Regards,

M

that's really helpful thanks, on the lookout for the mazda 6 petrol in my area to see what I can find. Only other question if you don't mind is sound system, is it any good? love my music so depending what I buy, wondering if I will need to rip out the info system and speakers and replace them!

mazda 6 or something else - What used car to buy under £12k - Engineer Andy

The petrol is harder to find as a second hand offering, mainly because owners are far more pleased with them than those owning diesels - especially if they were one of the many people buying one not knowing about the issues related to short distance driving and DPFs/oil dilution.

The vast majority of Mazdas that end up back at the dealership as second hand cars tend to be either diesels and/or upper spec 'Sport' type models, the latter most likely because the owner wasn't happy with the firmer ride than the mid/lower spec models that are shod on smaller wheels and higher profile tyres.

My recommendation generally for a secondahand Mazda is to find a petrol car shod on more sensible 55 profile minimum tyres - it'll give a better ride and the wheels/tyres are less susceptible to damage, last longer as a result and cost vastly less to replace.

The mid-spec cars (SE-L [Nav]) are, in my view, great value for money and are well-specced. I would, however, check websites associated with towing caravans, etc, to find out the experience of those who've bought a petrol version rather than the 2.2TD.

Saying that, the more reliable VAG diesels previously mentioned (manual only) are more than worth a look, given they are far more suited to longer distance driving and towing, especially those than didn't need a 'dieselgate fix' that may have residual issues from the 'fix'.

It’s rare to find an unhappy petrol Mazda owner. They’re great to drive, from £1500 1300 Mazda 2 to £25k CX5 they’re reliable, attractive and good to drive. I really rate them, they’re almost as reliable as Toyota but drive much better.
mazda 6 or something else - What used car to buy under £12k - moward

In the Sport Nav trim, the factory audio system is a Bose unit. It is an 11 speaker system. The dashboard has 5 speakers, a large one in the centre with a woofer/tweeter pair at either side. Two in the front doors, two in the rear doors and two down near the tailgate. There’s a built in surround function, probably not to dissimilar to Dolby pro logic, that gives that surround sound enveloping effect. It’s quite nice.

Inputs include a cd player (for those that still buy these antiquated things :-) ) two usb ports, aux port, and also Bluetooth streaming. FM and DAB are present too. Supported file types are MP3/WMA/AAC/OGG. I Think WAV work too, not sure about FLAC. Hopefully the following link explains it better, automotive.bose.com/vehicles/mazda/mazda6.

Please note that the Bose system is on the Sport Nav trims only, I’m not sure what system is fitted to the SE-L and SE trims.

With regards to Andys tyre/wheel comments above, I don’t personally find the 19’s to be overly firm or crashy but I prefer to have some feedback when driving, I don’t like floaty or wallowy handling which can happen on squidgier tyres. Tyre size is 225/45/19 if you want to look up tire pricing first (45 profile is not absurdly low compared to some out there).

Also as Andy says, petrol estates can be quite thin on the ground, in my neck of the woods, I could count on one hand the number I’ve seen for sale since I got mine two years ago. Large petrol cars are a rare sight here in NI anyways so hopefully it wont hinder you too much wherever you are.

Another point that probably should be raised is that towing with a diesel manual can absolutely murder a dual mass flywheel, particularly when carrying low speed manoeuvres at low rpm. I remember a former colleague who towed a caravan a lot was having to replace his DMF every 30,000 miles or so give or take, a cost which surely mounted up over time. If you are intending to tow a lot, personally I would look towards a torque converter automatic vehicle, they will cope with it much better.

Hopefully this is of use to you, anything else you want to know, please don’t hesitate to ask below. Best of luck, M.

The reasons diesels and Sport models end up at the dealer is there is a lot more of them about in the first place. They simply sold more new.

The fact is that cars in the 6 sized segment still sell a lot to fleets/lease whatever as company hacks and for whatever reason they still tended to prefer the diesels and the Sport models or rather Mazda UK assumed they did so ordered large amounts from the factory.

I don't know what percentage of new 6 buys were private but it will be a lot lower than for the 2, 3, CX-5 etc.

thanks guys, going to hunt for a petrol for a drive, assuming I can with all. the covid restrictions!!

The reasons diesels and Sport models end up at the dealer is there is a lot more of them about in the first place. They simply sold more new.

The fact is that cars in the 6 sized segment still sell a lot to fleets/lease whatever as company hacks and for whatever reason they still tended to prefer the diesels and the Sport models or rather Mazda UK assumed they did so ordered large amounts from the factory.

I don't know what percentage of new 6 buys were private but it will be a lot lower than for the 2, 3, CX-5 etc.

I doubt if Mazdas end up as fleet buys - most are private sales, even if they may be a 'company car' chosen by the employee with a company contribution. Not the same as an employee given a limited choice of makes and models with a price limit where the company buys or leases it and it goes back when they leave the firm.

To this day, I've never seen a rental Mazda 3 or above. Very few cars, now that oversupply in the whole of Europe is a thing of the past (why I got a huge discount on mine from Motorpoint), very few Mazdas end up on car supermarkets' books - even prior to the pandemic. Since about 2008/9 - and I've always kept a good eye on them, Motorpoint rarely has had over 20 Mazdas for sale, and often well under that.

Even if most Mazdas sold are upper trim level and/or diesel versions, why is it that so few mid-level trim petrol-engined versions find their way back to forecourts in the first 5 years of life and make up the vast majority of older ones I see on the road?

IMHO, this is because of the reasons I gave earlier - harsher ride that gets a lot worse as the suspension ages quicker due to more of a pounding (tyres take less) and the obvious issues with diesels being unreliable because they weren't used as originally designed (a sales problem as much as engineering).

I also notice that such cars also take longer to sell nowadays - now that vastly more people know about the diesel issues, and attract lower sale prices as a result, especially when they end up away from main dealer forecourts. Good news for the lucky buyer who actually needs a car for long distance driving and the previous owner used it in the same way and looked after it. Not so good for everyone else if not.

If The OP wants to go the petrol Mazda6 route, then they might get lucky via a PX at a dealership when someone is buying a new car. Otherwise it's a private buy or risk a small indie dealer.

mazda 6 or something else - What used car to buy under £12k - misar

To this day, I've never seen a rental Mazda 3 or above.

triavi.com/rent-a-car/uk/london/mazda-hire

Triavi will search the best rates on all Mazda hire in London from all the major agencies internationally; the best car hire deal for you is just a click away. Easily available at all car hire locations including Airport car hire branches, and with options for one way car hire, renting Mazda in London has never been easier.

mazda 6 or something else - What used car to buy under £12k - misar

I doubt if Mazdas end up as fleet buys - most are private sales.

www.fleetnews.co.uk/fleet-management/case-studies/...v

Mazda entered the coronavirus crisis in a position of strength after achieving 113% of its fiscal-year sales plan (April to March), with 120% of plan in the core fleet sector of end user, contract hire and white label leasing. Just one model line didn’t hit target – the Mazda3 (pictured), due to delays with the SkyActiv-X engine.

Not bad for a self-professed ‘retail brand’.

Core fleet is 20-30% of our volume in the UK and there’s no pressure on me to be any bigger than that,” Tomlinson says. “But there is pressure on me to achieve the plan I put forward.”

I've had a lot of rentals Mazda's off Enterprise which were the just replaced 3 and current 6. That was 2-3 years ago so they evidently had a batch.

The 6 in all guises will always be a relatively slow seller simply because that segment is dying, hence Ford not replacing the Mondeo. The 6 sells well in the states though which. Is what it is primarily designed for. It is what the US class as "full sized" which is why it is b***** huge.

I wouldn't buy a diesel one either, but it is because I don't trust their engineering. Other manufacturers manage to make ones which work however you drive them. Nice enough car in petrol guise and good looking to my eyes.

Is it being replaced in the uk?

I doubt if Mazdas end up as fleet buys - most are private sales.

www.fleetnews.co.uk/fleet-management/case-studies/...v

Mazda entered the coronavirus crisis in a position of strength after achieving 113% of its fiscal-year sales plan (April to March), with 120% of plan in the core fleet sector of end user, contract hire and white label leasing. Just one model line didn’t hit target – the Mazda3 (pictured), due to delays with the SkyActiv-X engine.

Not bad for a self-professed ‘retail brand’.

Core fleet is 20-30% of our volume in the UK and there’s no pressure on me to be any bigger than that,” Tomlinson says. “But there is pressure on me to achieve the plan I put forward.”

Doesn't 'fleet' these days also include 'sales' to brokers, which in effect are all private sales to members of the public? Besides, 30% is a lot less than 'most'.

Even with them exceeding their sales target, that still is some way behind the numbers sold in the mid 2000s, when rivals like KIA, Hyundai and others were well behind (KIA sold 90k+ last year). They are doing well in markets where they sell a much fuller range of cars and engines.

What I'm wondering is the can manufacturers like them with no British/EU manufacturing plants take advatnage of Brexit in that, FTAs aside, will the UK government repeal any EU-led laws on coporate CO2 emissions, meaning engines like Mazda's 2.5 SA-G and 2.5T SA-G (including the former with more torque than the 2.0 SA-X and thus more useul grunt without the need to trash it) would be viable, especially as new VED rates have no bands other then year 1, which are only bad for properly sporty cars with high CO2 emissions.