Nissan Micra - Micra k12 2005 1.2 petrol power steering failed - Matthew Broomfield

I have a Nissan Micra with the dreaded power steering fault.

I am plan on trying to solve the problem my self but I know it's a complex system, I have nothing to lose as I will not be paying £500 to £750 for the new column and will be scrapping it any way.

My questions are as follows

Can the ECU be read by a normal code read?

I know it programmed to the car but is that just the ECU? Can the motor be swapped? I know about the it must be kept straight for the sensors.

Last question on a second hand unit is there a way to clear previous vehicle ID?

Thanks in advance, I think the car is worth trying to safe and I am aware I could make it so much worst but scrapping is really my only other option.

Nissan Micra - Micra k12 2005 1.2 petrol power steering failed - Railroad.

The answer to one of your questions is no, you cannot use a simple code reader. Firstly the clue is in the name. A code reader is a reader. It is not capable of writing information to the controller. Secondly although there are lots of cheap handheld scantools widely available they are mainly EOBD devices which can only access engine emission data, which is fine if you have an engine emission issue. For what you want to do you will need a factory level device and that won't be cheap or simple for you to keep updated. It'll be cheaper to pay someone to do the job. Having said that, depending on the age of the car and type of system you may just be able to change the motor. By the sounds of it you don't have much to lose by trying.

Nissan Micra - Micra k12 2005 1.2 petrol power steering failed - Dorset123

Whatever you do, do not buy a secondhand part and fit it. As on this model the dongle is in the individual parts then you will have problems starting the car and it would then need a new steering column. It you fit another unit it will have to be new or reset to factory state so the car can then find it and link it to the dongle system on the car.

Nissan Micra - Micra k12 2005 1.2 petrol power steering failed - edlithgow

JEEZ!

That seems unusually outrageous.

Its a restrictive practice and a restraint on free trade, and if it isnt quite illegal, it should be.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhGm1NMy-ng

Is there some (probably BS) excuse for this?

Nissan Micra - Micra k12 2005 1.2 petrol power steering failed - Bolt

JEEZ!

Its a restrictive practice and a restraint on free trade, and if it isnt quite illegal, it should be.

Theft of parts was 1 reason and third party parts because not all were made to OEM spec, that on some cars made them dangerous so OEMs coded parts to control units so you had to buy from maker or get parts that were unlocked

JEEZ!

Theft of parts was 1 reason and third party parts because not all were made to OEM spec, that on some cars made them dangerous so OEMs coded parts to control units so you had to buy from maker or get parts that were unlocked

Yeh. Think the Mandy Rice-Davies misquote might fit here.

How widespread is this practice?

Seems like it would be quite tempting to manufacturers, and, as we know, some of them aren't very good at resisting temptations even when they ARE actually illegal.

How widespread is this practice?

certain electronics OEMs are actually even more prohibitive of repairs to there electronics than car makers, plenty of info on You tube about this practice which I think is getting out of hand, just my opinion that is.

Think the Mandy Rice-Davies misquote might fit here.

No idea what you meant or who that person is (cant say I`m interested either lol)

Nissan Micra - Micra k12 2005 1.2 petrol power steering failed - Andrew-T

No idea what you meant or who that person is (cant say I`m interested either lol)

Bolt, where have you been for the last umpteen years ? I think the quote referred to is 'Well, they would say that, wouldn't they?' and the reference is to the follow-up to the Keeler/Profumo scandal about 50 years ago. The story was retold on TV in the recent past.

Bolt, where have you been for the last umpteen years ? I think the quote referred to is 'Well, they would say that, wouldn't they?' and the reference is to the follow-up to the Keeler/Profumo scandal about 50 years ago. The story was retold on TV in the recent past.

never heard of it, or if I have -not taken any notice, thinking about it I was just starting my apprenticeship then so had better things to do, like learning to be a Mechanic. and work on my A40 my first car (bit more important than the news then)

I was at school at the time, and remember the episode mostly for a rude topical song in playground circulation.

Forum members of a certain age may remember it. Went to the tune of "Ön Top of Old Smokey", but perhaps that was only in Scotland.

Oswald Moseley featured, probably mostly for the ryme. Never thought about that before but allegedly he was " numbered among her many famous clients"

www.newstatesman.com/node/152969

Are we off-topic yet?

(Apologies to OP, who has more pressing concerns)