Hatchbacks with the biggest boots under £4000 - logger

Ideas for petrol hatchbacks with the biggest boots for under around £4000 ( cheaper the better ! )

We have 1 small dog but will soon have another one which is a Labrador so need to fit 2 dogs

May also have 4 people so need at least 1.4 engine but not really above 2.0

Only about 5k miles a year , vast majority local

cheers

Hatchbacks with the biggest boots under £4000 - Avant

Are we talking about a different car from the ones you were asking about just a few weeks ago, in your threads about the 'holy grail' and the 2-seater sports car?

I do hope so, as some people took a lot of trouble in giving you advice then.

Hatchbacks with the biggest boots under £4000 - badbusdriver

Also, what size of car do you want, as ‘hatchback’ doesn’t really narrow it down much. If you want the biggest boot in a supermini, then probably the Honda Jazz at circa 335 litres. Small family hatchback (Golf/Focus size), probably the Skoda Octavia (a lot of people think this is from the next size up, but it actually uses the same underpinnings as a Golf), or as a more commonly accepted car of that class, the Honda Civic. But the Ford Mondeo also comes as a hatchback, along with a few other cars in that size category. So you need to narrow it down a bit.

Also, why a hatchback if you need a big boot for dogs, etc?. Surely an estate would make more sense. This could then include a supermini estate such as the Skoda Fabia or Seat Ibiza. And from the next size up, estate versions are available for most cars.

I will consider a hatchback but as in my other answer I want to put my son and daughter on the insurance so with them being quite young and new drivers I thought a hatchback might be easier

If there is a 'small' estate then great

Ok ...lets narrow down..

1.6 to 1.8 Petrol

3 or 5 door ok

manual or auto

decent pace ( don't want a slooowww car )

Yes...

I listened to the advice and decided to buy a cheap MX-5 for my wife and I for fun and now looking for a 'practical car' for everything else including the dogs.. and I'll put my kids on the sensible car insurance..then I'm sorted

Thanks

Hatchbacks with the biggest boots under £4000 - Big John

Reasonably cheap hatch with a big boot - Skoda Octavia

Hatchbacks with the biggest boots under £4000 - SLO76

Blimey! This is now your 45th post regarding looking for a car and we’ve had everything from sub £1,000 bangers, £5k plus estate cars, hot hatches to two seater sports cars. Instead of pretending that you’re actually interested in buying a car why not propose a hypothetical question? But please make it clear that you are in fact not intending on buying at all to save those of us who are willing to spend time searching for cars for genuine people. I’ve spent a fair bit of time on your past posts and I’ll spend no more beyond warning others to do the same.

Ive reported your message. Who are you to pigeon hole me just because I have asked lots of questions on this forum. Over the last 30 years I have had 60+ cars and have learned invaluable information from the people I meet in the back room.

I find your comment insulting and you should keep your opinion to yourself and stick to advice on cars

Ive reported your message. Who are you to pigeon hole me just because I have asked lots of questions on this forum. Over the last 30 years I have had 60+ cars and have learned invaluable information from the people I meet in the back room.

I find your comment insulting and you should keep your opinion to yourself and stick to advice on cars

I for one simply don’t believe you and I’ll leave it at that. I certainly won’t add anything else to your search. Unfortunately there is no block option on the forum sadly.

Edited by SLO76 on 04/10/2020 at 21:32

Hatchbacks with the biggest boots under £4000 - Avant

Logger - if you'd said in your first post that this is a different car and that you'd got the MX-5, neither SLO nor I would have queried it. Better still, you could have revived your 'holy grail' thread and explained that you have some additional criteria to bring in - no problem. As it stands, it looks simply as if you're asking the same question over again.

SLO, out of the kindness of his heart, spends quite some time and trouble looking for used cars when people ask for advice. As moderator, once again I thank him on behalf of all of us.

In your position I'd look for a Skoda - a Fabia, Octavia or Superb estate depending on the size you need. Go for a manual as some of the DSG transmissions can give trouble as they get older. If you need the bigger size, add in the Toyota Avensis and Mazda 6 estates - petrol-powered.

Edited by Avant on 04/10/2020 at 23:13

'Kindness of his heart' ! You are joking. He insulted me and then called me a liar

What a shame that after all these years on this forum it turns out that despite the 95% brilliant people who all they want to talk about is cars ' no questions asked' you get a few people who feel they have the right to question peoples motives and make personal insults, then all that to be backed up by a moderator

After over 20 years on this forum I will be leaving it. As someone who has a family member with mental health issues I feel its really sad that you can support SLO with his higher than mighty bullying attitude. I think you should be ashamed of yourselves.

This is a car forum NOT somewhere to fire insults at each other. I thought you were better than that

'Kindness of his heart' ! You are joking. He insulted me and then called me a liar

What a shame that after all these years on this forum it turns out that despite the 95% brilliant people who all they want to talk about is cars ' no questions asked' you get a few people who feel they have the right to question peoples motives and make personal insults, then all that to be backed up by a moderator

After over 20 years on this forum I will be leaving it. As someone who has a family member with mental health issues I feel its really sad that you can support SLO with his higher than mighty bullying attitude. I think you should be ashamed of yourselves.

This is a car forum NOT somewhere to fire insults at each other. I thought you were better than that

What exactly has your having a family member with mental health issues got to do with it?.

As to the rest of this post, seems something of an overreaction methinks.

Hatchbacks with the biggest boots under £4000 - galileo

What exactly has your having a family member with mental health issues got to do with it?.

He is included in "family member" I suppose?

Quite the drama but to assure onlookers that I’m not this horror being made out here I suggest a quick look at the OP’s history on this site. We’ve had 45 posts asking for advice regarding car purchases in the last couple of years, involving everything from sub £1,000 banger to hot hatches, estates, two seaters, sports couples etc etc etc. If you have indeed bought a car every few weeks or so then you’ll have bought and sold more than I have over the years and are in fact more experienced than any of us.

I’m calling you out on your claims, I don’t believe for a second that you’ve been genuine with us and in fact you’ve wasted my time and others who’ve offered to help you without question until now. It’s fortunate that Avant reminded me to check your previous post which flagged up the other 44 or so all asking for advice on buying a car, none of which ended with you telling us you’ve bought one from what I remember.

As for the mental health of others well that’s utterly irrelevant here, we’re talking about you and the time you’ve taken up with your fantasy car shopping so let’s not try to guilt trip people with stories of mental health which don’t relate. If however you do have a condition then I’ll apologise and leave you be with a suggestion that you don’t take up too much time kindly donated by others. I’ve looked up loads of adverts and given a lot of time to your posts over the last couple of years which I now see was time wasted.

No worries at all SLO, I didn’t realise till after my first response on this thread that this was the same OP asking about the ‘holy grail’. But while I did remember that one, I wasn’t aware just how long these posts have been going on for!.

TBH, I don’t really mind, it does give me something to do after all(!). But for someone who has given a lengthy account of their own experience with a car (someone did that on the last thread re the Honda CRZ coupe) in order to ‘help’ the OP with a type of car, it seems, he had no actual intention of buying, it does seem a little unfair not to be ‘up front’ about it.

But I guess the OP can’t see this.

Hatchbacks with the biggest boots under £4000 - FP

I don't think most of us - probably any of us, apart from the OP - think badly of you, SLO.

It wouldn't be the first time someone here apparently can't see the bigger picture and views their actions only from where they stand.

Edited by FP on 05/10/2020 at 16:26

Hatchbacks with the biggest boots under £4000 - Andrew-T

As someone who has a family member with mental health issues I feel its really sad that you can support SLO with his higher than mighty bullying attitude. I think you should be ashamed of yourselves.

For what it's worth, I am still looking for anything in SLO's post which I would call 'insulting'. I can only assume that you have a hair-trigger response to being easily offended. It's an unfortunately common tendency today, when anyone can throw out anonymous nastiness on (anti)'social media'.

Hatchbacks with the biggest boots under £4000 - misar

SLO, out of the kindness of his heart, spends quite some time and trouble looking for used cars when people ask for advice. As moderator, once again I thank him on behalf of all of us.

I have no intention of taking sides in this dispute but that comment does not ring true to me.

All of us on here, including moderators, are pursuing a hobby. We reply to posts that interest us and ignore topics that don't. If somebody decides to invest much time in a reply that is their privilege. I would encourage thanking a helpful poster but none of us have a right to complain if our efforts are wasted or fall on deaf ears.

“ I have no intention of taking sides in this dispute but that comment does not ring true to me.

All of us on here, including moderators, are pursuing a hobby. We reply to posts that interest us and ignore topics that don't. If somebody decides to invest much time in a reply that is their privilege. I would encourage thanking a helpful poster but none of us have a right to complain if our efforts are wasted or fall on deaf ears.“

While I’m often frustrated by friends and family who ignore my attempts to talk them out of buying liabilities, I still offer my experience willingly and enjoy hearing their experiences whether they follow my advice or not, it all adds to mine and their experience. I’m happy to post hypothetical questions and often hark back to the past with rum inspired posts that are just for fun but I do get a bit annoyed by people who ask for advice about cars they clearly have no intention or ability to buy but who don’t make this clear to us or those who post a question then are never heard from again. There’s nothing wrong with starting a post asking what’s the best fun car for £2,000 or the best estate for £5k but if you’re on here every other week suggesting you’re looking at completely different cars with entirely different budgets questions are going to be asked and instant hostility in reply often comes from being found out. It’s not unusual for certain contributors on here to spend a fair bit of time researching replies and looking for cars nearby the OP as suggestions and I’d rather know if it’s just for fun or real. Thanks Avant for flagging up the OP’s past posts which saves me replying again beyond this one thread.