Suzuki Vitara - Does a ‘15 Vitara roll more than an ‘03 Fabia? - kitkats
My 1.9TDI Skoda Fabia is getting long in the tooth and I’m getting ache in the back. I want something for under £10k with an upright driving position, good MPG and, ideally less body roll on the B roads. It’s the one complaint I’d have about the Fabia.

The Vitara seems like great value and I was pretty sold on it after watching the Carwow review on YouTube. Then I realised that he’s driving the S version with stiffer suspension which is probably out of my budget. I’m also interested in the Ignis but with no steering reach adjust I doubt I’d be as comfortable as in the Vitara. The Kadjar and Peugeot 2008 might be other options.
Suzuki Vitara - Does a ‘15 Vitara roll more than an ‘03 Fabia? - badbusdriver

The laws of physics suggest that if you don’t want body roll during cornering, buying a tall car is probably not the best option. Yes some of these hyper expensive SUV’s have fancy active roll control, but sounds like they’d be outside your budget!.

Of course you could just go round corners slightly slower.................

You’re probably right… I could look into lower cars that still have the headroom and upright seats (B Max maybe?) but I think I’d rather drive slower than buy something that screams ‘MPV’
Suzuki Vitara - Does a ‘15 Vitara roll more than an ‘03 Fabia? - Metropolis.
Having driven older discovery’s for too long, I have learned to corner progressively. You can take most corners at higher speeds if you take them as wide as possible and go slowly/gently on the steering wheel. Driving through Glenshee in an old Vreg td5 I had a brilliant drive doing this. Unfortunately my current Discovery same mkII model just higher spec) has Active Cornering Enhancement. A clever system that allows for softer spring rates but it feels artificial in the corners and a bit heavy on the steering as a result, although on the other hand their is virtually no lean which is impressive for an old bus. See this vid comparing favourably to a contemporary BMW X5! youtu.be/b4opZF1mDjM

Still, I would have body roll any day! The original Range Rover didn’t even have anti roll bars and would lean like a drunk over a bar, wonderful!

Embrace the roll, I doubt it will be much worse than a Fabia, and if it is, learning to master it is part of the fun!

Ok cheers. I have a stiff lumbar support in the Fabia which effectively removes all side support from the seat. I end up sticking my elbow into the side of the passenger seat or the window sill when I’m really in a hurry. The Fabia has done over 200k so maybe the seat in a new car would be firmer and easier on my back and I could do away with the lumbar insert.
Suzuki Vitara - Does a ‘15 Vitara roll more than an ‘03 Fabia? - badbusdriver

For the same reason, it’s probably fair to assume that your Fabia’s suspension is not in peak condition. So another Fabia of the same age, but with 70k miles, might both roll less and the seat be more comfortable.

As it happens, we recently got a new Ignis (having come from a Jazz). Not done any longer runs yet, but initial impressions are that the seat and seating position are more comfortable (for me anyway) than the Jazz. I don’t find the lack of reach adjustment for the steering wheel, but obviously different folk might have a problem with it depending on size and preference. You’d have to try it yourself. Haven’t driven it hard on a twisty road yet, so not sure about roll, but I don’t think I’d be unduly concerned anyway.

Suzuki Vitara - Does a ‘15 Vitara roll more than an ‘03 Fabia? - Ethan Edwards

Interesting question. I too have the S version and its true it does have a slightly stiffer suspension . Which suits the car very well imo. We owned an Ignis in 2017 and I think you won't have any issues with space, comfort and driving position. But to be sure I'd recommend you to go sit in them for yourself.

Interesting question. I too have the S version and its true it does have a slightly stiffer suspension . Which suits the car very well imo. We owned an Ignis in 2017 and I think you won't have any issues with space, comfort and driving position. But to be sure I'd recommend you to go sit in them for yourself.

Thanks for the tip. I’ll be buying used but maybe I guess I need to spend a morning at the Suzuki dealership and check them both out.
True. The ignis has fantastic fuel economy and I prefer it’s looks to the Vitara so I guess I need to test drive both. I haven’t driven anything but the Fabia and a mini in the last 8 years so I was just trying to ascertain that the handling of the newer cars would at least be an improvement.
Suzuki Vitara - Does a ‘15 Vitara roll more than an ‘03 Fabia? - Ethan Edwards

Try to take them both over some rubbish road surfaces. I think you'll prefer the Vitara. If you can get a 1.4t I guarantee the driving experience will put a smile on your face. Ignis is OK but its a city car size eg Fiat 500. The Vitara is bigger, between a Nissan Juke and Quahqai size. But it depends what you are looking for. I have a new Ignis on order at the moment but it will be a second car.

Suzuki Vitara - Does a ‘15 Vitara roll more than an ‘03 Fabia? - SLO76
Best thing to do would be to get out there and drive them. I’d probably favour the Pug 2008 here as it drives well, it’s comfortable, practical and economical. The 1.2 3cyl petrol is a great wee engine, especially the 130PS turbo.