Estate car or hatch as an overnight camper - Hojo_81
Hello,

I’m looking to replace my car with something I can take fishing for the weekend and sleep in over night so I was thinking of an estate rather than SUV/MPV but open to suggestions.

Budget up to 5k ish , ideally looking for something with a flat folding rear seat that can take a 6ft person for sleeping.

Shortlist so far

Octavia - but mainly diesel, concerned with reliability
Focus mk3/mk2 but not many with 1.6 petrol, is 1.6 vcti still the Yamaha one? Or 1.8
Avensis estate petrol
Kia ceed estate
Hyundai i30 estate
Volkswagen touran

Maybe a large hatch would be big enough... I did see a Skoda Rapid Spaceback byf don’t think it would be big enough.

I’m a diesel fan but modern ones put me off, currently have a 1.6cr in my seat but failed regens and oil overfilling/dpf and intermittent injector errors put me off the older PD I had was much better. Are there any modern diesels at this price point that are any good? Or stick to petrol.

If I had more money I’d be looking at the civic tourer 1.6 dtec.
Estate car or hatch as an overnight camper - Bromptonaut

Citroen Berlingo or it's Peugeot twin?

Rear seats can either tumble into the foot well or come out altogether. Never slept in ours but got full size bikes in stowed fore/aft and on another occasion a settee.

Diesels are pretty good. Some mention the 1.6 Diesel of Doom that eats turbo chargers. But I think the real problems were with the 16 valve iteration with the 8 valve being in most Berlingos. Certainly ours, 2013, is eight valve. Now over 100,000 miles and other than regular servicing the only engine/fuel system attention has been a top up of EOLYS fluid used in the DPF at around 90,000.

Only other non routine maintenance has been a replacement 'joystick' for the door mirror remotes and a stuck caliper causing a rear disk to need replacement.

Estate car or hatch as an overnight camper - Heidfirst

From personal experience the Avensis TS works (but I am only 5 8").

However, an acquaintance who has a regular need to stay out overnight has a Berlingo/Partner Tepee DIY fully set up in the rear for camping use which I have sometimes cast envious glances at ... I think that it comes down to how just how often you think that you will use it as to which way to go. Came across this campfiremag.co.uk/berlingo-camping/ (my friend's is a bit better than this more like www.amdro.co.uk/product/a-original-boot-jump-with-.../ but he has the need to make it worthwhile).

Edited by Heidfirst on 12/09/2020 at 13:55

Estate car or hatch as an overnight camper - Alby Back
Mondeo estate, nice to drive, cavernous, can be bought at reasonable prices, reliable and cheap to maintain.
Estate car or hatch as an overnight camper - Terry W

Personally I would opt for a local hotel - but it really depends how comfortable you want to be.

MPV or van will have space for small cooker, fridge, and semi standing headroom.

Most estates will struggle to do this - if you are going to be away from"civilisation" a small tent may be preferable!

Estate car or hatch as an overnight camper - S40 Man

I'll second the view for make Mondeo estate. I used to have one and used to kip in it every day when I worked late shift.

Estate car or hatch as an overnight camper - Alby Back

I'll second the view for make Mondeo estate. I used to have one and used to kip in it every day when I worked late shift.

When I first started my own business, it was on a wing and a prayer. I had ( way) less than no money, but had to travel long distances and stay away from home quite a lot. I had my first trusty old Mondeo TDCi at the time ( there were two more of those after that which proved equally reliable, and all ran to nigh on 200,000 miles faultlessly. ) Anyway, being poorer than a church mouse at the time, I had no alternative but to sleep in it when I was away from home. Sleeping bag and a pillow and crammed myself in the back with the luggage. Used to find a public swimming pool in the mornings to clean up in the showers. Packet of cereal, a spoon and a bowl on board and would buy a half pint of milk to put on the cereal. Cereal for my evening meal too, so at least the milk didn't go to waste! ;-) The car happened to have a sunroof which was a real boon because I could open it on the tilt for fresh air without the rain getting in. So, yes, you can sleep in a Mondeo estate, and, they are actually quite pleasant to drive.

Edited by Alby Back on 14/09/2020 at 19:58

Estate car or hatch as an overnight camper - edlithgow

. Packet of cereal, a spoon and a bowl on board and would buy a half pint of milk to put on the cereal.

Plutonium, dioxin and milk are some of the things I wouldn't like in my car, especially if I was sleeping in it. A spillage might require scrapping.

I think you restricted your diet a bit more than needed. I've used a camping gas stove quite often in a car without any problem, though of course you should crack a window open in case of carbon monoxide.

Failing a stove there are cigarette-lighter-socket cup-heaters that will boil water, and pasta can be cooked in a thermos without an external heat source and then used with a wide range of sauces-in-a-jar

Estate car or hatch as an overnight camper - Will deBeast

What about a Mazda Bongo/Ford Frendee? I'm sure I've seen them below 5k.

Estate car or hatch as an overnight camper - SLO76
Where roughly do you live? I’ll take a look for a few worthies. Largely depends on what’s available but the Avensis Estate is a very sensible option, the Mazda 6 and Ford Mondeo are both good to drive and reliable in petrol form too. Largely I’d avoid diesel at this money.
Estate car or hatch as an overnight camper - Heidfirst
the Avensis Estate is a very sensible option, the Mazda 6 and Ford Mondeo are both good to drive and reliable in petrol form too.

If you do decide to stick with an estate you may be surprised just how few late model estates have a load floor that is truly flat with the rear seats down. In many the rear seat backs will angle up slightly or there may be a hinge sticking up from the floor. The Avensis TS is truly flat but iirc the Mazda 6 estate isn't (I did look at & rule out because of this when I was buying).

Estate car or hatch as an overnight camper - Bromptonaut

If you do decide to stick with an estate you may be surprised just how few late model estates have a load floor that is truly flat with the rear seats down.

My Fabia is like that, 'folding' involves only the lowering of the rear backrest.

Another thing with modern estates is that a lot of them have a lip under the tailhatch, not a flat access you might hope for in a vehicle that's supposed to be a load carrier.

Estate car or hatch as an overnight camper - Hojo_81

Those berlingo convertions are impressive I hadn't thought of those, something to think about there, thank you.

This will be my daily car so looking for something I can live with and pack up fishing/climbing gear in and possibly sleep in and be comfortable on a long drive up to Scotland, West Country etc, I'm in Kent btw.

A friend of mine suggested a Mazda 5, don't know much about these.

Estate car or hatch as an overnight camper - gordonbennet

For those long drives you'll appreciate the soft pliable suspension of Berlingos.

Estate car or hatch as an overnight camper - SLO76
“ A friend of mine suggested a Mazda 5, don't know much about these.”

Very good cars if you stick to petrol. Really just rust to worry about and even at that they’re much better than before.
Estate car or hatch as an overnight camper - BPL

www.facebook.com/groups/1633744000176603 Small vehicle campers

Estate car or hatch as an overnight camper - edlithgow

If its just you (not trying to pry) and you can remove seats then just about anything bar a BMC Mini or an Isetta Bubble Car would be fine

Estate car or hatch as an overnight camper - Penumbra

Or do what the chap did on George Clarke's Small Spaces show. Stuck a towbar on and converted an old Reliant Robin in into an overnight camper (i you're desperat.e lol)