Ford Focus 12reg Mk3 - Ecoboost 1.0 Engine issue - rstocks

Hi All,

I was hoping for some advice on an issue I've had with my Ford Focus 1.0 Ecoboost. The car is currently at a garage being looked at by a mechanic after having broken down on the motorway. It's giving them a couple of error codes and they've suggested I run these past Ford before they do any further investigative work on the vehicle. The codes they're getting are:

P000A:71 Camsensor Intake Signal

P132B21 Turbo boost pressure sensor

I called the local ford dealer and they just told me they couldn't do anything with the codes (didn't even bother asking me what they were) and i'd need to book the car in for an inspection at their earliest slot which is 3 weeks away.

Also called Ford customer service and they suggested I email ukcrc1@ford.com with the details which I've done, awaiting their response.

As far as what happened, I was on the motorway when the oil light started flickering on and off. It wasn't staying on though. It would flash on and off very rapidly for a few seconds and then go away again for a few minutes, I felt there was a very slight loss of power too whilst it was flickering. It was getting more frequent so I pulled over on to a slip road to try and park it when an engine management light came on and it lost almost all power. I pulled over on to the sliproad's hard shoulder and stopped the car. The engine would still start and run but it sounded rough and had virtually no power. I called my recovery service and they took the car to my local garage.

The mileage on the car is currently at around 48,000. Was a due a full service earlier this year but with the virus situation i'd put it off...Would welcome any advice. Cheers!.

Ford Focus 12reg Mk3 - Ecoboost 1.0 Engine issue - elekie&a/c doctor
Not good news , I suspect . These early ecoboost engines are notoriously troublesome. Low oil pressure could mean the engine is toast . Ford were replacing these engines under warranty , but at 8 years old , you may be pushing your luck. Certainly worth getting Ford customer services involved . I think you are going to be in for a new engine . Don’t bother with any repair or s/hand motor . A new crate engine from Ford is surprisingly not expensive.
Ford Focus 12reg Mk3 - Ecoboost 1.0 Engine issue - daveyjp

The codes are more likely to be a consequence of the incident rather than a cause,especially as the problem went on for some time,

I agree it will probably be expensive. There's a thread on discussion about turbo or not, this is why I avoid the modern small turbo engines.

Ford Focus 12reg Mk3 - Ecoboost 1.0 Engine issue - madf

Has it been regularly serviced and oil checked regularly?

It was due a full service earlier this year but had put it off because of lock down, otherwise yes fully serviced up until then.

Edited by rstocks on 26/08/2020 at 12:16

Ford Focus 12reg Mk3 - Ecoboost 1.0 Engine issue - galileo

It was due a full service earlier this year but had put it off because of lock down, otherwise yes fully serviced up until then.

When did you last check the oil?

When did you last check the oil?

I can't say I remember doing it recently...likely to have been at it's last MOT September last year.

Ford Focus 12reg Mk3 - Ecoboost 1.0 Engine issue - Andrew-T

<< I can't say I remember doing it recently...likely to have been at it's last MOT September last year. >>

Hmmm. A flickering oil warning light suggests low oil level or pressure to me. Can't comment on Ford engines in particular, but it's a lesson to check the oil level fairly often on any car. Even if an engine doesn't normally lose oil, it may start to do that when you aren't looking.

Ford Focus 12reg Mk3 - Ecoboost 1.0 Engine issue - Dorset123

I have worked in the motortrade since leaving school and if I was given a pound for every time I have been told that oil doesn't need checking anymore, I would be a rich man.

If you check the oil every day it will not hurt your car but if you never check it, it will ruin your engine is still true today but so many people don't then complain when their car fails and it is always the cars fault. He has also mentioned that the oil light was flashing whilst driving that should mean that you stop not keep going until it fails.

Sorry to be so blunt but this is a 8 year old car that has not been looked after so has failed and would have happened with any car that is not looked after.

Ford Focus 12reg Mk3 - Ecoboost 1.0 Engine issue - John F

What was the mileage at the last service? What was the oil level on the dipstick when you broke down? Had you needed to top up the oil since the last service?

What was the mileage at the last service? What was the oil level on the dipstick when you broke down? Had you needed to top up the oil since the last service?

Last service at 36,000 miles. I didn't check but garage tells me level is ok. No top up required since last service.

https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/98500-ecoboost-low-oil-pressure/

The sysmptoms siggy_7 describes here are almost identical to mine, with the exception of a few things such as SWIMBO, I didn't notice any prolonged oil pressure warning on start up and the fact I didn't make it home.

Ford Focus 12reg Mk3 - Ecoboost 1.0 Engine issue - edlithgow

Bit puzzled by this thread. We got a couple of posters up top who seem pretty confident in writing off the engine, yet if there was a diagnosis stated, I missed it.

Since the OP's failure to check his oil level (maybe consider an electric car next time?) isn't a factor, I assume this is felt to be an oil pump failure, and a known generic fault.

Is this correct?

Edited by edlithgow on 27/08/2020 at 05:52

These engines run a bio belt . Cam belt runs in the engine oil . Very commonly what happens is the belt de-laminates and the fibres clog up the oil pump intake . This results in oil starvation to the engine with resulting low oil pressure and variable camshaft codes .
These engines run a bio belt . Cam belt runs in the engine oil . Very commonly what happens is the belt de-laminates and the fibres clog up the oil pump intake . This results in oil starvation to the engine with resulting low oil pressure and variable camshaft codes .

Ah...PROGRESS.

Ford Focus 12reg Mk3 - Ecoboost 1.0 Engine issue - Galaxy

Who on earth ever thought that it would be a good idea to run a cambelt in engine oil??!!!

Ford Focus 12reg Mk3 - Ecoboost 1.0 Engine issue - gordonbennet

Who on earth ever thought that it would be a good idea to run a cambelt in engine oil??!!!

Probably helps prevent the more intrepid DIY owner who would change their own dry cambelt, much more involved job when there's oil seals and gaskets involved.

If its going to run in oil why not go the distance and design in a rugged duplex timing chain instead.

Lots of people. The Peugeot 1.2 puretechs with their bio seem reliable, apart from a few early ones with a batch of duff belts. I've risked it - although at current mileage it'll be many years before it reaches the 50,000 mile mark.

If its going to run in oil why not go the distance and design in a rugged duplex timing chain instead.

These days I'd rather have a cambelt than a chain. Lots of fairly recent chain cam engines have had problems with wear and disintegrating chain guides. Duplex would be overkill - even my W12 has only a single chain to each twin cam bank of six cylinders from the duplex driven intermediate shaft. In this engine's nearly twenty years of existence I have never come across chain failure...yet. Some Porsches did have an expensive problem with failed intermediate shaft bearings, though.

Ford Focus 12reg Mk3 - Ecoboost 1.0 Engine issue - mss1tw

Lots of fairly recent chain cam engines have had problems with wear and disintegrating chain guides

All that shows is that any design can be made unreliable with long enough service intervals and scrimping on materials. Give me a quality chain design any day.

These days I'd rather have a cambelt than a chain. Lots of fairly recent chain cam engines have had problems with wear and disintegrating chain guides. Duplex would be overkill - even my W12 has only a single chain to each twin cam bank of six cylinders from the duplex driven intermediate shaft. In this engine's nearly twenty years of existence I have never come across chain failure...yet.

Merc duplex designs seldom if ever gave a moment's trouble for the life of the vehicle, the 1.8 engine, they sourced from Mitsubishi apparently, had a single chain which was prone to stretching so they usually ended up needing a new chain and guides around the 80k mark, i can still hear my thoroughly disgusted MB indy chuntering at length about such cost cutting measures, which only served to cost owners more in the long run to fix something that wouldn't have needed fixing had it been designed properly in the first place.

I too am quite happy with standard (dry) cambelts, given they are on north south engines and designed by engineers, bean counter influence unwanted , to be driving the camshafts and as little else as possible, and are simple cheap replacements...the belt on my Toyota 3.0D4D has to be one of the simplest belt changes ever designed, 1 hour first time for a competent DIYer, some £100 buys the full kit only requiring a couple of standard sockets one Allen socket and a spanner to complete the task.

An accountants idea.

Cheaper for the first owner who never has a cambelt to change, good selling point.

Good for the manufacturer as like a chain its a 'fit for life part'. Life in this case being 10 years, 150,000 miles. Except most Fiesta drivers probably do half that in 10 years.

Once it fails after 8-12 years the life of the engine is over as it will be too expensive to fix.

Ford can sell a new car!

Ford can sell a new car!

Not to me.

I'd like to think not to the once-so-bitten owner either, but that might be overestimating the average punter.

Ford look to cost cut to the limit.

Their record with new to them technology is ABYSMAL

See Ford CVT gearboxes..

1.0 Ecoboost engines

etc

IIRC there was a post on here a while ago with links to claims (I THINK from Ford) for this as the best idea since sliced bread.

(Assume, FTSOA, that sliced bread is a good idea).

EDIT: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/134678/cam-belt-in...h

The linked article was from a high strength glass manufacturer, not Ford, and is dated 2012, only 4 years after the first BIO engine. Maybe the sliced bread wasn't yet mouldy, or the glassmaker didn't know it was mouldy, or didn't want to know.

I suppose it COULD be good with belts built from polymers that will last forever in oil. Maybe recent ones do.

Trouble is you wont know if they do, until they don't, but its generally better not to be an early adopter.

Edited by edlithgow on 28/08/2020 at 04:33

Good for the manufacturer as like a chain its a 'fit for life part'. Life in this case being 10 years, 150,000 miles.

It's surprising how long a dry cambelt can last. I am pretty certain my Pug 306 had its first cambelt change at 76K and 25 years. I can't be certain because I only know its history since 2008, but as the recommended change interval was 72K I think I may be right. Before taking over the car I asked the seller to fit a replacement :-))

Good for the manufacturer as like a chain its a 'fit for life part'. Life in this case being 10 years, 150,000 miles.

It's surprising how long a dry cambelt can last. I am pretty certain my Pug 306 had its first cambelt change at 76K and 25 years.

I'd be surprised if belts didn't last long, especially the modern aramid belts. When people say 'the cambelt broke' it's usually because something the cambelt drove failed and destroyed a perfectly good cambelt. I have never changed a cambelt, apart from an old Passat GL5 when the water pump failed at well over 100,000 miles and it would have been foolish not to have replaced it at the same time. Our old Focus cambelt is nearly twenty years old and just a few thousand miles short of its 150,000 mile design life. It will probably still be OK as it's had an easy life (auto transmission). If anything needs replacing it would be the tensioner pulley. The fan/alternator belt on my TR7 is forty years old. The African elephant skin belt on my jeans is even older.

Edited by John F on 28/08/2020 at 12:29

Ford Focus 12reg Mk3 - Ecoboost 1.0 Engine issue - focussed

Honda. I've got a GX35 SOHC 35 cc four stroke strimmer/brushcutter with an oil immersed timing belt.

1.3 hp @ 7000 rpm - it holds 0.1 litre of oil. It's also got a plastic camshaft!

Never any bother or any sign of wear or deteroration.

Honda. I've got a GX35 SOHC 35 cc four stroke strimmer/brushcutter with an oil immersed timing belt.

We are an unusual bunch that frequent the backroom, i too spent a considerable amount of money but chose a Kawasaki two stroke strimmer/brush cutter, that too gives no trouble, though i replaced the original cutting line when it ran out with some much tougher semi serrated nylon line.

Most other people seem to buy cheap as chips strimmers instead and replace when broken.

Ford Focus 12reg Mk3 - Ecoboost 1.0 Engine issue - Galaxy

Reminds me of when cambelts were first introduced.

"Needs no maintenance whatsoever and will outlast the life of the car" I seem to remember the advertisements saying.

Manufacturers soon changed their minds about that when all the warranty claims started coming in!

Something else for consideration. Electric power steering racks are belt driven . How do feel about that ?
Ford Focus 12reg Mk3 - Ecoboost 1.0 Engine issue - bathtub tom
Something else for consideration. Electric power steering racks are belt driven . How do feel about that ?

I thought most were an electric motor in the steering column.

Small cars tend to be electric column . Corsa , Fiesta , Fiat etc . Anything else will be electric rack .

I feel pretty good about it.

I feel pretty good about most automotive technology, because I don't have most automotive technology.

Reminds me of when cambelts were first introduced.

Mk-2 Peugeot 205s came with a cambelt and no suggested change interval. After a few years (about 1991) the maker advised changing at 48K miles. My daughter had her car serviced at about that mileage but the (franchised) dealer didn't change the belt, which failed about 2K miles later. Replacement engine needed. Belts, and experience, have improved since then.

Ford Focus 12reg Mk3 - Ecoboost 1.0 Engine issue - focussed

We are an unusual bunch that frequent the backroom, i too spent a considerable amount of money but chose a Kawasaki two stroke strimmer/brush cutter, that too gives no trouble, though i replaced the original cutting line when it ran out with some much tougher semi serrated nylon line.

Most other people seem to buy cheap as chips strimmers instead and replace when broken.

Our Honda strimmer/brushcutter works hard for it's living, we've got about an acre and a quarter of land and about a third of this is a pinewood and rough brush and brambles, so it gets attacked once a year usually, the Honda just ploughs through it all with no apparent effort, and like you I use the heaviest line the spool will take..

Someone has helpfully done a video of the issue with the belt in oil.

https://youtu.be/DeH1wayyQGo

https://youtu.be/AhM9DGw6m-Y

The belt in oil drives the oil pump, but you will see how much crud is in the filter, this is a 17 reg car.

That filter says lots of missed oil changes to me.

edit. second video comments

"

thecarlovers. channel

3 months ago

The car had covered 50,000 miles but hadn't been serviced for 35,000. As for oil level I can't say as it went to another garage before I owned it. I imagine they would have topped up the oil if it was low"

35k miles with no oil change!

Edited by madf on 07/09/2020 at 18:30