Vauxhall Astra self service? - Astra K servicing - S40 Man

I have a 4 year old Astra. It's a 1.6 turbo and it's due is 4 year service. This counts as a major service and includes new spark plugs. VX want £295 Indies aren't much less

Previously I serviced my Mondeo myself but only had this one a year.

I priced up all the items filters, plugs etc and it was £150 so an extra £150 didn't seem like terrible value. What is the value of dealer FSH?

When a garage wants £100+ for £20 worth of oil I baulk at it on a minor service.

If I keep the car long term, which I tend to, it won't make any difference.

This is my first reasonably new car.

Happy to hear anyone's thoughts.

Vauxhall Astra self service? - Astra K servicing - daveyjp

At four years old you are still within the realms of 'goodwill' contribution in the event of a major component failure.

As indies aren't much cheaper this would be enough for me to have a main dealer service for years 4 and 5.

Vauxhall Astra self service? - Astra K servicing - badbusdriver

£295 for a major service seems pretty good value to me?.

I'd get the service done at the dealer this year anyway, next year too if the price is agreeable.

You may plan to keep the car for many years, but circumstances can change quickly, especially with covid on the go (and likely to be for some time yet) and the iminent recession. Should you suddenly find you need to offload the car, it will be worth more and be more desireable with dealer history.

Vauxhall Astra self service? - Astra K servicing - Chris M

I decided to DIY the 4th service on my 1.0T last month. My experience with main dealer (2 of them) was that I couldn't do it any worse than their monkeys and goodwill of say 50% of a job that they would charge 200% for didn't sway me.

Not sure where the OP is getting £150 for parts from. All mine came from CP4L for £105. Bosch cabin filter, Mann for air and oil, Triple QX oil (Dexos 1 Gen 2) and NGK plugs (£14 each, but the 1.6 uses cheaper ones although needs 4 instead of 3). Dealer price for mine was £335.

Edited by Chris M on 25/08/2020 at 14:08

Vauxhall Astra self service? - Astra K servicing - _

My advice?

If you want any chance of goodwill, Dealer service.

If you feel competent and can safely get the spark plugs out and back in without cross threading, and you have somewhere to gain access to the sump plug... don't forget, if you "screw up" it's down to you.

Take your pick,

for me.dealer..

Vauxhall Astra self service? - Astra K servicing - paul 1963

Totally agree.....dealer ( and that price does seem reasonable btw).

Vauxhall Astra self service? - Astra K servicing - John F

Totally disagree - save your money and service it yourself if you intend to keep it for any length of time. Record everything you do - that's the service history. The older the car gets, the less difference there will be between the values of your history and a dealer history. And don't waste money on air filters, the UK is not very dusty. I didn't even look at our Focus' pollen filter until we'd had the car for twelve years - it might even have been the sixteen year old original. I cleaned it with a stiff paint brush and a vacuum cleaner and replaced it. Same goes for the engine intake air filter, which I clean every 30,000 miles or so. The MoT test does all the checks and more than a garage would do during a 'service'. No point in paying twice. One tip - buy a cheap bendy-bar torque wrench for the plugs (spark/sump) and wheel bolts. You don't have to be accurate to a single footpound and you'll be surprised at how little force you need for the plugs. It can double as a breaker bar for too-tight wheel bolts.

Vauxhall Astra self service? - Astra K servicing - Andrew-T

John-F - as you know, I sympathise to an extent with your old-school servicing methods, and to a (now limited) degree I follow them myself. Sadly many modern cars make it increasingly difficult to DiY. Perhaps that fact, plus the cost of garage servicing, contributes to owners skipping the necessary.

And I have met wheel bolts which I doubt a simple torque wrench would have dealt with, I had to put a 2-foot bar on my socket wrench just to start them.

Vauxhall Astra self service? - Astra K servicing - John F

And I have met wheel bolts which I doubt a simple torque wrench would have dealt with, I had to put a 2-foot bar on my socket wrench just to start them.

This is the simple torque wrench I have used for at least 40yrs. Nice to see on googling that they are still being made! No moving parts, so nothing to go wrong. No wheel bolt has ever defeated it.

www.drapertools.com/product/34487/1-2inch-Sq-Dr-0-...h

Vauxhall Astra self service? - Astra K servicing - barney100

See what you get for £295, fair chance it's change oil and filter, check this, check that etc etc.

Vauxhall Astra self service? - Astra K servicing - DavidGlos

S40Man - how has the Astra been over the period you’ve had it? Would you recommend one? How reliable? Approx MPG?

The 1.6 Turbo seems like remarkably good value to me at 1-3 years old. We keep our cars for ages, often 10+ years, so if the depreciation is still heavy after that, it’s not much of an issue for us.

Vauxhall Astra self service? - Astra K servicing - S40 Man

Thanks for all the comments - good points on both sides of v the argument.

S40Man - how has the Astra been over the period you’ve had it? Would you recommend one? How reliable? Approx MPG

Yes very reliable so far.

Car reckons around 44 or 45 mpg but it's usually 5 mpg out, I get 8 or 9 miles per litre (mixed A road/country roads/town work)

Cabin is nice, Android auto is a bit temperamental but Apple car play is good.

The engine is better than the car, handling is ok but not in the same league as focus st line I had as a hire car recently. It's not unpleasant, just not super fun, its not really a hot hatch, but if you need to overtake or join a motorway its pokey enough.

Astra do seem good value in general and particularly the 1.6 petrol for the performance. Please with it so far anyway.

Vauxhall Astra self service? - Astra K servicing - andyp

Definitely keep it dealer serviced this year and probably next. That price won't be far off what an indie charges anyway.