Ask HJ no longer worth it? - glidermania

I recently used the website to ask 'HJ' a question about our very low annual mileage, about 2500 pa and probably less this year due to lockdown and whether I should have a full annual service or just get the dealer to do an oil change. the car is 5 years old in November, has had a full service every year since new and has just over 12700 miles on it.

The response I got was less than informative imho and consisted of 'modern service schedules take account of this low mileage ownership'! Er, no they dont, they anticipate you'll be doing anything between 7500 to 15000 miles per year. So the reply was a waste of time.

I guess when it is time for it's November service, I'll see how much the dealer will charge for just an oil change compared to a year 5 service. Ive noticed the same old questions keep cropping up: what's the best \ cheapest dashcam, what's the best car for a 20 \ 70 year old, what's the best automatic small car etc, etc.

Ask HJ no longer worth it? - Avant

Sorry, but the Ask HJ questions are answered by the staff of the site owners, not by us on the forum. HJ himself as you probably know has retired and no longer has any connection with this site.

My personal view, for what it's worth, is that with a low mileage like yours your best bet is to have an oil change every year and a full service every other year. If your car is under warranty, then don't have any fewer services than recommended by the maker.

Ask HJ no longer worth it? - _

The staff at HJ are a motley bunch, just like all of us, (in thr nicest possible way of course) but need to do a bit of updating of various bits of information regarding ULEZ and congestion charging in London.

On the Van site at least it gives the old hours for the charging times.

Memo to self, email them to tell them.

also to tell them to stop plugging Amazon.

There was a very good list of satnavs on this site, why not refer to it (another question.)

kit.honestjohn.co.uk/top-tens/top-10-best-dashcams.../

instead of some unknown junk at £80.

Edited by _ORB_ on 19/08/2020 at 07:09

Ask HJ no longer worth it? - daveyjp

At 5 years old the car may need far more than an oil change. Don't base your decision purely on one year's use.

Items such as fuel filters, brake and clutch fluid, spark plugs, gearbox oil, cambelt, water pump may need changing. You need to look at your servicing schedule booklet for the details of the work required each year.

Ask HJ no longer worth it? - Falkirk Bairn

Manufacturers scheduled servicing for 5 years probably means the brakes have never been properly looked t - wheels off fettling costs little but can save big bills for sticking pads, sticking calipers, pitted discs - new pads, discs all round = £600+ even on a modest 5 year old car.

Water pump? I have cars for 54 years & never needed a water pump on any of the cars I owned.

Ask HJ no longer worth it? - daveyjp

Preventative maintenance advice is to change the water pump if the cambelt is being changed.

I have had two water pump failures, both were under warranty.

Ask HJ no longer worth it? - John F

To have had four oil changes for fewer than 13,000 miles was both unnecessary and wasteful. Modern oil in a modern car does not mysteriously 'go off' after one year. Nor do brakes need fettling every year in a low mileage car - the rear drums on our Focus needed no attention for over twelve years. The MoT test will advise whether anything important needs doing. As for water pumps, I have known three fail in our cars - one in a Passat GL5 at around 130,000 miles, one in my TR7 at 61,000 miles (leaky bearing) and one in my son's old Citroen Xsara (overheating due to disintegrated plastic impeller blades - a truly m0r0nic idea, presumably from a penny-pinching designer rather than an engineer).

HJ's team apparently still perpetuates the now absurd dogma of an oil change every year no matter what the mileage, advice which the more respectable and knowledgeable section of the motor trade realises is no longer tenable. It's nearly three years since I changed the expensive oil in my Audi A8 and I have absolutely no worries about its lubricity.

Edited by John F on 19/08/2020 at 11:56

Ask HJ no longer worth it? - glidermania

At 5 years old the car may need far more than an oil change. Don't base your decision purely on one year's use.

Items such as fuel filters, brake and clutch fluid, spark plugs, gearbox oil, cambelt, water pump may need changing. You need to look at your servicing schedule booklet for the details of the work required each year.

Well I didnt give much information about the car because the original post was more to do with the disappointing response I got to the Ask HJ question.

Regards the car, no, really it shouldnt need a change of all those items because it's been fully serviced on time at the main agent since day one. Always providing the dealer has changed said parts even though there's low mileage between services!

Ask HJ no longer worth it? - SLO76
Manufacturer servicing is typically for example approx 10k or 12mths whichever comes first so in theory you should service it every year. That said much depends on the car, the usage and whether it’s under warranty or not. My cars have both done less mileage this year and I’ve allowed the service timing to slip by a few months but then they’re 8 and 10yrs old.
Ask HJ no longer worth it? - BPL

I got a very detailed service schedule printout for a Fiat van free from the main dealers which was time and mileage based. If you follow that & keep the receipts you can't do far wrong. I don't have a service book but sometimes I find they are a few noddy symbols or just say intermediate service etc. anyway so not enough detail. e.g. BMW.I find some independant mechanics just guess or say what do you want me to do which isn't a very competent strategy.

Ask HJ no longer worth it? - edlithgow

The response I got was less than informative imho and consisted of 'modern service schedules take account of this low mileage ownership'! Er, no they dont, they anticipate you'll be doing anything between 7500 to 15000 miles per year. So the reply was a waste of time.

I know little (and care less) about "modern cars" and associated service schedules, but my understanding was that many of them have an OLM (oil life monitor) which may, to verying degrees depending on instrumentation and algorithm, vary the OCI in response to usage pattern.

That might be what they were getting at, but I think most of these probably have a time trumps miles 1 year cutoff.

I personally took account of my low mileage ownership with a 6-year OCI interval last time. Engine looked very clean.

Ask HJ no longer worth it? - bazomis
I have had my best advice on my current car from other owners on forums/fora like this. They said the dealerships were in fact 's******ships' after dropping their fixed price servicing plans after 12 months. There would be coolant problems after 5 years due to a faulty EGR valve and there was. £250 in labour costs to change a part with a retail price of £1.40. I also had to replace the water pump at the same time. A known fault with a part that M-B denied. Then to expect suspension problems at 100k miles. I've just had to change both front suspension springs at 99k miles and am advised to spend another £800 on replacing other suspension parts like rubber bushes, rods and cups.

So perhaps best to listen to the owner community rather than the 'commander'!

Bazomis

How would/does an EGR valve cause cooling problems?

Not saying definitively it couldn't/doesny. I've never had EGR before and wouldn't be too bereft if I never had it again, but it seems a bit mysterious.

All I can think of is lean running leading to overheating, not really a cooling system problem per se.

I have an ongoing Honda Accord EGR mystery at the moment, and its rather messy murder,

Ask HJ no longer worth it? - bazomis
Actually it was the faulty EGR cooler valve causing the engine to overheat, resulting in the warning light coming on and requiring the engine to be switched off immediately.

A well-known, but denied, fault with M-B diesel engines in C and E-Class cars made between 2010-2013.

While this was being investigated, the garage also found that the water pump was also in bits.

So resulted in a bill for more than £500.

Bazomis
Actually it was the faulty EGR cooler valve causing the engine to overheat, resulting in the warning light coming on and requiring the engine to be switched off immediately. A well-known, but denied, fault with M-B diesel engines in C and E-Class cars made between 2010-2013. While this was being investigated, the garage also found that the water pump was also in bits. So resulted in a bill for more than £500. Bazomis

So not really "coolant problems" as such..

Also you seem to imply above that an EGR valve retalls at 1.40. If that's true I need to get myself a Merc, (The NeoLada For NOW) to cut my parts costs.

There is undoubtedly a lot of good info on't Internyet, but there is also a lot of utter t***, and I seem to be encountering a lot of the latter in a Honda Accord EGR context, perhaps because there are a lot of them in America, and its complicated enough that t*** isn't so readily detectable.

A couple of examples

www.700r4transmissionhq.com/p0401-honda

"Vacuum Issues– The EGR valve relies on engine vacuum to operate."

No it doesn't. Its an electronically controlled solenoid.

"Sensor Issue– The Differential Pressure Feedback- EGR sensor can go faulty and cause the EGR valve to stop operating properly and throw the code."

I don't THINK Honda's have DPFE sensors. I THINK that's a Ford thing. This looks like lazy cut-and-pastery, something I see a lot from students.

While trying to confirm the latter point I came across this

www.fixya.com/cars/t13429430-dpfe_sensor_1999_hond...d

The answers take misinformation to the next level, being apparently unrelated pastings from workshop manuals.

This seems to be malicious. I can't see what the posters get out of it, but then I don't really understand spam either.

Be careful out there.

Edited by edlithgow on 21/08/2020 at 10:18

The next level again would be to post information that was actually damaging, as opposed to simply timewasting BS.

It wouldn't be very difficult to arrange traps for the unwary in, for example, suggesting circuit tests for computer controlled cars.

ECU/ECM's etc are fragile, vulnerable and expensive.

Too paranoid? Don't think so.

Some lowlifes put in quite a lot of effort to create computer viruses. many of which have no payoff other than the trouble and expense they cause to complete strangers.

Ask HJ no longer worth it? - focussed

A well documented fault with the EGR system on many cars is corrosion of the EGR cooler-it's a heat exchanger that is cooled by coolant, exhaust gas passes through this to be cooled before being introduced to the inlet manifold via the EGR valve. When the cooler corrodes coolant leaks out into the exhaust, so low coolant equals overheat.

Thanks. Didn't know that. Makes sense, though I dunno if it applies to the Honda Accord since I havn't seen any reference to it so far.

I wonder how fragile all this junk is, since it was necessary to be pretty rough with it to bore through all the coke.