Kia rio 2010/60 reg - Elderly friend stopping driving. Sell? - _

So, my 90 year old mate had a fall in the garden, not hurt badly, but intimations of a stroke, so Docs suggested that stopping driving for a while might be a sensible option.

He was considering if to keep it or not and then got his insurance quote for renewal.

I said that would pay for all the taxis he needs (and more) and he agreed.

It is in good nick for the year and has always serviced it. mileage is not high, (can't remember offhand) but car is sorned and still has 6 months MOT.

I really don't want to reregister it and tax it just to sell.

What does the panel think?

I thought abot £2000 as a selling price? Colchester area.

Edited by _ORB_ on 13/08/2020 at 18:14

Kia rio 2010/60 reg - Elderly friend stopping driving. Sell? - RT

Get it sold - Autotrader has a valuation tool which will give an idea of its private sale value - that part of the market seems very s p a r s e (stupid swear filter) at the moment as I'm looking for a 2011-13 Citroen C1 / Peugeot 107 / Toyota Aygo but without any luck.

Edited by RT on 13/08/2020 at 18:52

Kia rio 2010/60 reg - Elderly friend stopping driving. Sell? - SLO76
It’s a car which would typically retail at a dealer for around £2,000, possibly £2295 if particularly nice with low miles. As a private sale it’s worth £1200-£1500 tops so I’d advertise it at £1495ono and I’d take the arm off the first person with £1200 in their hand. If however it’s tatty bodily despite its low miles then it’s £995ono.
It’s a car which would typically retail at a dealer for around £2,000, possibly £2295 if particularly nice with low miles. As a private sale it’s worth £1200-£1500 tops so I’d advertise it at £1495ono and I’d take the arm off the first person with £1200 in their hand. If however it’s tatty bodily despite its low miles then it’s £995ono.

Its tidy outside and clean inside.. but I agree with your valuations for Scotland, but they are few and more expensive here £1900 is the cheapest i saw when looking .

Its 55000 miles and failed for 2 bulbs last year.. pre then pass every time and no advisories ever..

Even with his low mileage it was serviced very year.

Kia rio 2010/60 reg - Elderly friend stopping driving. Sell? - SLO76
“ Its tidy outside and clean inside.. but I agree with your valuations for Scotland, but they are few and more expensive here £1900 is the cheapest i saw when looking .

Its 55000 miles and failed for 2 bulbs last year.. pre then pass every time and no advisories ever..

Even with his low mileage it was serviced very year.”

You don’t get if you don’t ask. You can always start high and drop down but these were never particularly good cars. Reliable yes but they were bland and don’t carry much appeal for most buyers sadly. They sold on price and the long warranty only and were always hard work used. I agree that there’s some value increase south of the border but I’ll be impressed and delighted if you get more than £1500. The challenge is now set, get that car sold.
Kia rio 2010/60 reg - Elderly friend stopping driving. Sell? - 72 dudes
“ Its tidy outside and clean inside.. but I agree with your valuations for Scotland, but they are few and more expensive here £1900 is the cheapest i saw when looking . Its 55000 miles and failed for 2 bulbs last year.. pre then pass every time and no advisories ever.. Even with his low mileage it was serviced very year.” You don’t get if you don’t ask. You can always start high and drop down but these were never particularly good cars. Reliable yes but they were bland and don’t carry much appeal for most buyers sadly. They sold on price and the long warranty only and were always hard work used. I agree that there’s some value increase south of the border but I’ll be impressed and delighted if you get more than £1500. The challenge is now set, get that car sold.

SLO, it's not just south of the border. Having lived here for over two decades, I can honestly say that car prices in East Anglia are amongst the highest anywhere, with Norfolk being the worst value.

Kia rio 2010/60 reg - Elderly friend stopping driving. Sell? - Andrew-T

<< it's not just south of the border. Having lived here for over two decades, I can honestly say that car prices in East Anglia are amongst the highest anywhere, with Norfolk being the worst value. >>

That's interesting. When my daughter sold her Golf Plus a few years ago, I was surprised that someone from Kings Lynn came to south Manchester to buy, who said exactly that.

<< it's not just south of the border. Having lived here for over two decades, I can honestly say that car prices in East Anglia are amongst the highest anywhere, with Norfolk being the worst value. >>

That's interesting. When my daughter sold her Golf Plus a few years ago, I was surprised that someone from Kings Lynn came to south Manchester to buy, who said exactly that.

Think of this..Cars in the past few years

Moving to get them...

S W Wales to Sheffiel... repeat to Oxford. London to Cheltenham but then Localish here.

Colchester to Braintree. another Norwich.. another Grimsby.. last one over to Kent.

Colchester seems to be dearish for used or new and newish.

Kia rio 2010/60 reg - Elderly friend stopping driving. Sell? - Metropolis.
£4000 all day long if it is mint.

Put the criteria into auto trader
Mileage between 50 to 60k
Minimum age 2010 maximum age 2011

Some over £4,000 one owner examples
Lowest price £1950 with 2 owners.

I know there is a difference between what people advertise for and what they actually get, but it’s still a good guide. I’d clean it up, do a detailed ad including reason for sale and offer it at £4K.

£4K is a lot less than it used to be...