Garmin Nuvi 40 sat nav query - shalebing

I have a fairly old Garmin Nuvi 40 sat nav but it works fine and I am used to it so would like to keep it. I have just changed my car and the accessory socket is between the front seats although it has a couple of USB sockets at the front of the centre console. My question is will the sat nav work if I used a USB port rather than the 12v socket? This would be preferable to having a longer power lead trailing along the console to the 12v power socket.

Garmin Nuvi 40 sat nav query - joegrundy

I have the same device. Yes it will, same as it will charge from usb socket on laptop etc.

I don't know if you've tried to update it recently - the Garmin site was down but is now up and working fine.

Many thanks !

First of all I was incorrect in my original post - my device is a Nuvi 57 not a 40. Having said that I have tried using a USB cable on the device but all it does is go into charging mode - I can't actually use the sat nav with the USB connection.

Garmin Nuvi 40 sat nav query - mcb100

Does the new car have Apple CarPlay and Andriod Auto? If it does, and you've got a reasonably smartphone, plug it in and use Google Maps or Waze. Bang up to date traffic updates when using them.

Yes the car does support Android Auto but as yet I've only just managed to get the Bluetooth connectivity setup for phone calls. I'm a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to smartphones unfortunately. I'll investigate your suggestion though. Thanks.

Garmin Nuvi 40 sat nav query - sandy56

Other smart phone option is "Here Maps" app. It works very well and the great advantage is you can download the maps ( for UK and most of Europe) you need so that you dont need to rely on a good phone signal to have relevant map.

Garmin Nuvi 40 sat nav query - dan86

Other smart phone option is "Here Maps" app. It works very well and the great advantage is you can download the maps ( for UK and most of Europe) you need so that you dont need to rely on a good phone signal to have relevant map.

You can do that with Google maps as well you can select the map you want to download and it will work fine with no signal, you don't have to have an entire country either if you just want a city like London or Paris

You may already have the Android Auto app on your phone, or you may need to install it. Depends on the version of Android on your phone.
Then plug one end of a suitable lead to the USB port in the car, the other end to your phone. No pairing needed. You’ll get clearer phone calls than using Bluetooth and the ability to operate your phone via the car’s touch screen. And your phone stays on charge.
Garmin Nuvi 40 sat nav query - Sparrow

I'm living a bit in the past in my 12 year old car, so could someone enlighten me what does Android Auto actually do? I see it plastered all over car reviews and the web but it is a mystery.

I do use Here on my phone for navigation, and sometimes an ancient TomTom that still works fine. Here works ok, so what extras am I missing in my old car that all you techie wizzards are benefitting from?

Garmin Nuvi 40 sat nav query - Avant

Like Apple Car-Play, it just means that you connect your phone to the car and use the phone's apps via the car's infotainment system. If it works....

Garmin Nuvi 40 sat nav query - alan1302

Like Apple Car-Play, it just means that you connect your phone to the car and use the phone's apps via the car's infotainment system. If it works....

It only allows certain apps to be used rather than all - an example is TomTom won't work on Android Auto, but will on Apple CarPLay although the app is slightly different to the one on the phone.

Either Android Auto or Apple CarPlay will give a simplified version of the phone screen on the car screen. I’m more familiar with CarPlay, and it won’t show any apps that offer distractions to the driver - social media, Youtube, etc.
Navigation is up to date with accurate live traffic information, easy access to music on the phone, better hands free quality for calls and much, much more.
What people tend not to be aware of is that the car’s voice control button becomes dual function - maybe a short push will give access to the car’s voice control, and a longer push for the phone’s voice command, Apple’s Siri or Android’s Google. Music selection becomes easy without touching anything but the voice command button.
A driver doesn’t need to learn the ins and outs of the car’s infotainment system, if you’re familiar with how to drive your phone, that’ll keep a driver entertained and accurately navigated.
I don’t think we’re far off a point where manufacturers stop going to the expense of offering integrated navigation, a system that won’t update mapping without a paid for update.